Holding The Serpent

Holding The Serpent

A Poem by ShaneBerry
"

DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE AGAINST HUNTING

"

Holding the Serpent

Humid and hot, sweaty and tired,

It saw me; I was in its home now.

Five feet long, thick from feast,

I could run, but I am no longer weak.

It came my direction; I attempted to step out of its way,

It lunged at me, I fell back in shock.

My machete in one hand,

My Dao blade in the other,

 I drop my foot down on the serpents head

And stood, jumping off to see it was not harmed.

It turns to me and hisses a hiss that is unlike any other.

Its fangs are out, and I know, if I do not kill this creature, it will kill me.

I drop the machete down onto the creature head with force,

But the blade is too blunt to cut,

 I feel the serpents head touch my hand.

And unlucky person would have been bit…

I retracted my hand as fast as the scaled head of the serpent touched it,

I quickly swung the razor sharp Dao blade at its crown.

I missed, and the creature came at me again,

I took out the bowie knife,

Dropping both the too blunt machete,

And the Dao, being too long.

And stepped three paces toward the oncoming creature

As fast as I could, knowing that it may kill me,

I pierced the serpent in the head,

I stared in disbelief,

Though its head was destroyed its body still moved.

In the five minutes, I felt fear,

I felt pain,

I felt sadness,

And then honor,

To fight with a creature that could kill you with ease.

And come out the victor, is a sensation like no other.

 

© 2011 ShaneBerry


Author's Note

ShaneBerry
On Tuesday my mother father and I went on a fishing/hiking trip, in which I went on a long 2 mile hike, I used to carry a co2 pistol in case of an attack by a water mossacan or cotton mouth, OR copper head. In this case I did not take the gun, I have “sworn” off using firearms. Ironically, the first hike I go on after this, I truly get attacked by an angry, female water mossacan, well over five feet long (I disagreed with my father, but he said it was longer than my sister who is 5’2”) this was the first time I had ever killed a creature without using a pistol. And it is the most rewarding experience I have ever had. Snakes by nature are vengeful creatures, and this one was going to bite me, I did not run because I wanted to continue on my route, and snakes are known to chase and even stalk what they want to kill. I was alone, and was not going to die. I still will not use pistol, it was far more emotional and fulfilling to kill using my true strengths. I hope this does not offend anyone, but I feel using firearms if you are capable of fighting with blade or bow weapons, is a sign of fear of losing. Just my personal opinion, don’t start arguments pleas lol. It also helped me get the feel of what is at stake in a blade on fang battle lol. I think the snake would have wanted to die in a fare fight. Maybe I milked it a little, but I am going to continue this by helping my fathers friend in east Texas, he lives next to a branch of the Trinity River that is infested with Texas alligators (a feral species of either Mexican caimans, or Florida/Louisiana alligators) and killing one (they are legal to kill and are destroying the ecosystems natural flow in the area, and getting on his property and killing his peahens and female turkeys HE HAS A BAD ASS PEACOCK BY THE WAY!!) To test my skills. Using a blade, and if I am ready by then a bow. It is completely legal, and might be harder than it sounds. The man tried chasing them off on a riding lawn mower and they ATTACKED IT!! So it will be a challenge.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

OK! Got the message! And the words are also convincingly used so as not to repulse the reader. It is rather courageous to write this poem, but I think it is well done!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I agree with imagination I would have ran like hell to

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 4 people found this review constructive.

My first hunting trip. I've never been on a hunting trip before in my life so I guess this was a good first trip :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This battle kept me on my toes. Nice description. Nature sure does hold various wonders ... doesnt?

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 2 people found this review constructive.

The battle with nature is one of pure beauty, predator vs prey, prey vs predator. Great write.

Matthew

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Nice Shaneberry- snakes give me the creeps - good images .. too good now i am thinking snakes!

Chloe

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This a battle in nature and I feel when attacked you have the right to defend yourself. This poem is a play by play of what happened. the images are described clearly. i am glad you came out the victor. Be careful with the alligators. they are much stronger and are pure muscle not that i would ever get close enough to try to kill one.

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Boy, I would have ran like the wind if I saw a snake! Excellent poem

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 2 people found this review constructive.

wow thats crazy..glad it didnt get ya (: nicely done

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

347 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 14, 2011
Last Updated on May 14, 2011

Author

ShaneBerry
ShaneBerry

denton, TX



About
My Chemical Romance “The Ghost of You” Name: Shane Douglas Berry Age: Born on 8/4/1992 Hair color: Brown Eye color: Green Skin color: White, Freckled Tattoos: Oroborus (red, center.. more..

Writing
Original Original

A Poem by ShaneBerry



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Lil' Red Lil' Red

A Poem by OT


Songs of Colour Songs of Colour

A Poem by OT