Johnny the fox

Johnny the fox

A Story by Sharmila Roy Ghosal
"

story of a mischievous fox and how he is taught a lesson.

"

 One foggy morning , Mina butterfly went towards the jackfruit tree under which her friend, Dina deer slept.  


Mina butterfly’s duty everyday was to sit on the nose of her friend Dina and tickle her to awaken her.Next, the 2 friends would go to the jungle. Dina would nibble at the green leaves _Mina would flit from flower to flower, sucking the nectar.


On that particular morning, the fog was so dense that nothing could be seen. Mina could make out the sleeping form of an animal under the tree.

Thinking it was her friend, Mina landed on the animal’s nose. Suddenly there was a growl.“Hey you, how dare you disturb my sleep?” 


It was Johnny the fox. He had gone for a hen, to a house near the edge of the forest, the owner of the house saw him and began to chase him.  Tired after running many miles, Johnny had collapsed under the jackfruit tree. He pushed the sleeping Dina deer away and occupied her place.


“I am sorry”, Mina mumbled, “I thought you were my friend, Dina”.“Oh”, Johnny growled, “so you have a friend”. Johnny felt jealous.  He had no friends and he did not want anybody else to have friends either.“I will teach both of you a lesson for disturbing me. I am not going to vacate this place.  From today, this place is mine.”

 

 Mina butterfly flew away.  Dina deer felt confused on hearing what Mina told her.  For years, she had lived under the shade of the jackfruit tree.

Each animal had his or her own place to rest in the afternoon and at night. So there was little chance that Dina would find a place to rest for herself.

Johnny had even bared his teeth at Dina when she had tried to reason with him. Earlier, Johnny was living under the mango tree.  That place was still occupied by his wife Jenny, ever since Johnny had a fight with her, she had refused to let him come near the tree.

Raja the Lion was very sick, so the problem could not be taken to him. Mina was flying about sadly near the sea.


‘It was my fault. If I had not awakened Johnny and made him angry, he would not have taken his revenge on Dina’. Mina thought.Suddenly Tommy crab playing in the sand, saw her.  “Why are you sad, Mina?” he asked.Then Mina told him the entire story.


“So Jimmy the fox is up to his tricks again”, he laughed. Next, he called out to Runi porcupine and told her everything.“Don’t worry Mina,” Runi said.”From tomorrow, Johnny will not come near the jackfruit tree. Tonight, he will learn his lesson.”The 2 friends talked for some time.

 

Lots of sea-shells were lying on the beach. Tommy crab used his saliva to stick the shells onto Runi’s quills.  The effect was beautiful.  No one could make out that she was a porcupine.

 

 It was pitch dark at night.   Johnny felt his body touch something soft under the jackfruit tree.  He put his hand out, and then he pulled.  The shells came off one by one.  Curiously, he put his paw on the bare quills.  A dozen knives seemed to dig into his flesh.  He tried to pull himself away, but could not free himself.


Johnny cried out --- the pain was unbearable.


Dina and Mina had been waiting behind the jackfruit tree.  They warned Johnny that he could be freed from pain on one condition only " that is, if he agreed to vacate the place under the jackfruit tree.Johnny readily agreed to do so. Runi rolled back and the quills were detached from his paw.


Shaking in pain, Johnny decided to make his peace with his wife  Jenny.  He also

promised never to come near the jackfruit tree again. Life was happy once

again for the two friends.

 

 

 

                                                         

© 2018 Sharmila Roy Ghosal


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I enjoyed reading this. The use of animals makes it especially suitable for children, but this very old kid likes that about it, also. I guess the main lesson taught is the value of having friends, but being cooperative and a good citizen is also shown.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sharmila Roy Ghosal

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much for such a nice review.



Reviews

I enjoyed reading this. The use of animals makes it especially suitable for children, but this very old kid likes that about it, also. I guess the main lesson taught is the value of having friends, but being cooperative and a good citizen is also shown.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sharmila Roy Ghosal

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much for such a nice review.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 27, 2018
Last Updated on January 27, 2018

Author

Sharmila Roy Ghosal
Sharmila Roy Ghosal

Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India



About
A short story writer for magazines like Children's World, Magic Pot and Womans' era... more..

Writing