Don't look through your glasses.

Don't look through your glasses.

A Story by Sharvari Gangal
"

A funny incident from my childhood but worth giving a thought

"

This is just one funny incident from my school days but still kind of motivating one in a very peculiar way.

I was at the end of my 10th grade and our oral exams were coming up. And scoring good marks in 10th grade may not be as important for you but it surely is for everyone in your school and family. So there is a lot of pressure. Oral exams have always been my weakness since my childhood as i was or may be still am a very shy person. Even if i have not studied for my written exams, still i am in a much better position than i tend to be during orals.

              We were given 25 topics which were to be prepared. We were going to be asked to speak on any one of them. I had been preparing for this almost for a month before the day of exams. And so finally the day had arrived, it was like the judgement day. I entered my class and looked around. There were these nerdy oversmart kids who seemed to be well prepared and were busy scaring others by boasting about their confidence, then there were some who seemed pretty confident but wouldn't want to express as they believe action speaks louder than words, there were some who were not even aware of the 25 topics given but were still pretty much cool about it and then the rest of us who were scared and believed in revising till the last moment. I was hoping and praying that the sweetest teacher would turn up to take our exams and yes....she didn't turn up but instead the most scariest looking and the most rude one turned up.....ok so life was normal because things were going on exactly the way i wouldn't want them to.

             So this scary woman started calling out the roll numbers. I felt a little shiver pass through my body.

I removed my specs, closed my eyes and rested my head on the desk. I decided to rest till i hear my roll call as stress levels were rising every minute. Just within some time i jumped out of my desk as this scary woman screamed at the top of her voice and called out my roll number.

            With my trembling legs i managed to carry myself near the teachers desk and looked into her eyes. At one point i thought i was actually able to read her mind where in she was laughing at me and calling me a dumb a*s. Then she randomly picked up a chit from the bowl and gave it to me. I opened it and read my topic. Again i felt shiver in my body. Then i went up on the platform trying to stand still and looked at the class......everything was blurr. I looked at the scary teacher, even she appeared blurred. Now i realised that i forgot my specs on my desk and i had no courage to ask the teacher to go and get them. I took a deep breath and started my speech. Initially while talking i was constantly thinking that what are people thinking about me, am i making a fool of myself in front of the class ?...but then as i proceeded with my speech i realised that its not that bad as i can't see anybodys face clearly and so i wont be knowing what are they reacting to my speech as i didn't had my specs on. I suddenly felt a little confidence rising inside me and i was no more bothered about anything. I delivered the best performance that i could and ended my speech with a thank you. And then there came a sound of claps from my classmates and even the scary teacher uttered that one magical word 'good' which made my day. That may not be the best performance in my class but was my personal best which made me proud of myself.

           Remembering this incident now makes me realise that sometimes we bother our mind too much with the thoughts of what others will think about us. We should learn to make them blurr or disappear for our own good. This not just brings us closer to what we want but gathers peace and happiness to the mind. I am still learning to achieve this state of mind and attempting to remove that specs not from my eyes but from my mind.


© 2016 Sharvari Gangal


Author's Note

Sharvari Gangal
ignore grammar problems thanks.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Added on January 22, 2016
Last Updated on January 22, 2016
Tags: glasses, nerds, funny

Author

Sharvari Gangal
Sharvari Gangal

mumbai, India



About
Architect and sports enthusiast more..