When Hustles Flow pt 2

When Hustles Flow pt 2

A Story by Shelly Bell

This time she had no problems with security or KJ, she walked right in as if she was an employee already. Approaching the bar, she waved to Kee Kee, “Oh, ok, he will be right out.” Kee Kee nodded. Now the music was louder and the crowd was starting to come in. The tables were starting to fill up and Connie was being observed by most of the men in the club, because of her build they assumed that she was about to audition to become a dancer. “What is with these people” she mumbles as it takes longer and longer for the Owner to come out. Finally, a dark skinned, 6’1, 290, stalky built, close curly cut, clean shaved man, sat down across from me at the little round bar table. It seemed as if as soon as he came out all the strippers started to come out. At this point she can’t even pay attention to them, because the owner is sitting in front of her looking straight into her eyes and his build alone is intimidating enough.

When he cracked a smile to introduce himself it was kinda scary. “Hi, I am Cedrick Ketch, the owner of this fine establishment. You can call me CED” “Hi, I am Connie Sledman, the newest addition to your bartender staff at this fine establishment of yours.” She smiled and flirted. Connie learned in college that using what you got to get what you want was not always about taking off your clothes; book smarts mixed with corner boy relationships gave her a hustler mentality. “She had game, along with a body that any man was willing to throw in all of his chips for, and the confidence to make’em do it.” “Ooh, I do like your confidence he chuckled. Where are you from?” “North East, I live in Takohma Park now though” “oh ok, so I see you have a bartender’s license.” Now Connie is starting to think that this club must be in some type of trouble with Alcohol Law Enforcement a.k.a ALE in the bar industry.

ALE makes sure that all bars are in compliance with state regulations. Strip clubs have a lot of the responsibility when it comes to following the rules. They have to get the men drunk but keep the naked women safe as well as staying away from minors. “Yes, I am a licensed bartender and I have had private and club bartending experience. “Ok, see you have been to Bartending School so we do need someone like you.” After chatting with Mr. Ketch for about an hour, she found herself tired of yelling over the music, but his smooth swagger had her undivided attention and her flirty attitude had him totally focused on her. “Well, I am impressed so you have the job, but I think we will start you off working Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday for now.” “Sounds good.

 Being that today is Monday do you want me to come this Wednesday?” “Yes, you can start this Wednesday” “and how does the pay work?” He smiled as if he was expecting that question, “you get $40 a night plus tips, there is normally two people behind the bar a night, when you start on Wednesday, there may be an extra person until you learn your way around the bar.” “Ok, thank you, I will see you on Wednesday.” Leaving the bar that night Connie could exhale on her financial troubles. Jonathan was with his grandparents in Richmond for the summer. They were both retired and liked to take long trips. Jonathan was born just as Connie was about to graduate from high school. Her parents stepped up and supported her and the baby while she went to college. Her choice in men was not always the best. Why do good girls like bad guys?

Well that was the million dollar question posed to Connie by her father after her son’s father was locked up for drug trafficking in south east the summer after she graduated from high school. She barely got out of the hospital after having Jonathan when she found out what had happened. She is not the kinda person to dwell on the past, it’s oh well, let’s get this money in her eyes, but her parents felt different. She was book smart but loved the “get money” mentality of a thug. Even she couldn’t explain her hunger for money, yeah she needed it to handle bills, but moreso, and she just wanted to be flexible enough to do anything she felt like doing. Her parents had the ideal careers and lived a comfortable life, but living an average life didn’t interest her.

Connie kept men away from her apartment; she would get them to pay her rent without them even visiting the place. Plus most of the men she would get money from were middle class drug dealers. Not the boys on the corner but the men supplying the boys. ‘Made Men” a term for men established in the streets, Jacob a.k.a. Jaco a.k.a. Connie’s baby daddy, was one of these men. He was charged with conspiracy when a few corner boys “snitched to get pitched” which means they started talking when they were offered a chance to get pitched back to the street. Now she had to use everything he had taught her to continue living the lavish lifestyle he supported before he was locked up. Anticipating Wednesday, Connie spent the next day studying her bartending flash cards and preparing herself to begin her new job. All day Wednesday all she could think about was how she was about to make money…then Wednesday night came….

© 2009 Shelly Bell


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
1 Review
Added on December 22, 2009
Last Updated on December 22, 2009

Author

Shelly Bell
Shelly Bell

Alexandria, VA



About
To merely refer to North Carolina native and Alexandria, VA resident Shelly Bell as a curious and talented consumer of life’s most positive energies would only tell half of the story. An award-w.. more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Poem by Shelly Bell