When Hutles Flow pt 6

When Hutles Flow pt 6

A Story by Shelly Bell

Connie was trying to ignore her son’s cry for food as long as she could. “ok, baby, give mommy 5 more minutes. Ma, I know what 5 + 5 is but is 5 minutes a long time? JONATHAN Just go in the living room and watch some cartoons for a minute, she yelled as she rolled back over and put the pillow over her head. As she tried to drift back into her dream “RRRIIINNNNG!,” “RRIIINNNGGG!” MA! The phone! Jonathan yelled and laughed. As if to say ha ha now you have to get up! I’ll get it Ma! Uh NO Jonathan! Since Connie started at the club she didn’t want Jonathan answering the phone. It could be one of the dancers calling to go shopping or hang out. Dancers have this strange way of addressing each other. Everything is “wassup b***h,” or “hoe you ready to go yet?” Connie was not raised this way but that was the thing that was so enticing about the lifestyle. “I will get the phone Jonathan, I’m up!” she yelled back. “Oh and Ma” “Yes Jonathan?” “I am still hungry” “I KNOW THAT JONATHAN!” she yelled in frustration. “Hello” “Well good morning, look who’s up, did you feed that baby yet because I know he’s up?” Connie’s mother began in a sarcastic voice. Connie now in the kitchen grabbing the cereal box angrily from the cabinet replies “He’s not a baby, he is 6 years old and he needs to learn how to FIX HIS OWN DAMN CEREAL!” She yells over the cartoons as she peaks around the corner at him. He ignores her and only cares about his food and his cartoons. “CONNIE! What has gotten into you?” “I’m sorry ma, I’m just tired” Connie sighs. “Well you’re working too many hours what do you expect?

And why are you doing this to yourself anyway?” “You know I’m trying to get money up to get a good lawyer for JJ” “I guess I knew I was just hoping you had changed your mind. When you get him out of jail, then what? Do you think you are going to ride off into the sunset, get married, and live happily ever after? Your father and I have been trying to get you to see for years that this is going nowhere. Where can it go?” “But ma, he is Jonathan’s father and…” “I understand that, believe me I do baby, you dream that he will come home, get a job, maybe even go to school, but the reality is he…” “Ok ma, I have to go now” “Connie….Connie….don’t you hang up this phone.” “I’m here.” “So I guess church is out of the question this morning then?” Connie’s mother asked. Connie let out a huge breath. “Get Jonathan ready I will take him to church so that you can get some rest, you still have a full time job as a teacher remember?” Connie smiles and says “Thank you ma” with a tone of relief. “Wait ma, one more thing. Do you think Daddy will give me the number to reach his friends son?” “Which friend?” “Jermaine Grant, you know his son is Jermaine Grant Jr.” “Oh the one you used to run around with in elementary school all of the time? You calling to get fresh with him? I thought he dumped you in 5th grade. Her mother chuckled.” “No ma, I want to see if he will help me with getting JJ out of jail.” “You know you’re father could careless about getting JJ out of jail but you are welcome to ask. He’s in the basement doing whatever he does in the basement, but he’s not going to church so call him. You will have to make that move on your own because I don’t want anything to do with it. Now get the boy ready I will be there in about 30 mins.”



Hanging up the phone Connie knew that Jermaine Jr. was her best bet at finding a lawyer that would help her. She had contacted a few lawyers. Each time they would begin the consultations look into the case and go “This is an open and shut case. There is nothing I can do for you.” As soon as she got Jonathan out of the door Connie called her dad on his cell phone. “Good morning daddy!” “Good morning my child! You still know my cell number? Weren’t you just on the phone with your mother? She had to be talking to you…you know she doesn’t have many friends, I’m still struggling with being her friend” Her dad chuckles. “Daddy!” “ I’m kidding wassup? Your mother told me you are working a second job now?” “Ugh yeah” “Damnit mama” Connie whispers to herself she can’t let her dad know she works at a strip club at night. He would never approve. “Yeah she said it was at IHOP 3rd shift or something” “Uh yeah, IHOP third shift it’s a killer whoo” “YESS, I LOVE YOU MA” Connie whispered in celebration of the fact that her mom can keep a secret. “So wassup” “I was wondering if you had the contact info for Michael Grant” “Jermaine Grant, I was just at his house watching the game…” “uh dad, I mean Jermaine’s son Lil Maine” “Uh I’m getting old but I can still tell a spade from a club, I know who you are talking about!” “I was just over with him and his dad watching the game last Sunday. Game night is here tonight. You should come on over.

 The Redskins play at 8 plus its been a while since you have been over for dinner. You just drop off Jonathan and pick him up every week like a package.” “I know dad I have been busy, but I am making time today! I will be there tonight!” Connie hung up the phone feeling motivated. Jermaine Grant Jr. also known as Lil Maine. Connie gave him that name in elementary school. His father and Connie’s father were on the police force together until his partner got killed. After that Jermaine Grant Sr. retired and opened up a cleaners which is actually right up the street from the strip club. Connie hadn’t seen Lil Maine in years. Connie decided to call her best friend to talk her into going with her over to her parent’s house. She new that she would have to be creative if she wanted to get Lil Maine away from the game and her father long enough to ask him to help. “Good morning Rebeccaaa!” “Connie why are you calling me so early!” “It’s the Sunday, you know I don’t get up until 2pm” Rebecca is half Filipino half black also but her dad was the Filipino and her mom was black. This was weird because this combination is definitely rare. This also meant that the Filipino culture was a lot stronger in her household than in Connie’s. Rebecca and Connie met in the 9th grade and remained friends through college.

Rebecca was a teacher also at another school across town, however she was the one who really worked third shift at IHOP. Connie figured if her parents ever showed up there after hours Rebecca could cover for her. “I know, I know, but I need a favor” “And you mean to tell me it couldn’t wait till 2PM!” “Rebecca!” Connie laughed. “What is it?” “Ok do you remember the guy I used to tell you about Jermaine Grant Jr. I used to always tell you I wonder where he is?” Rebecca laughs and replies “Its more like the one you used to cry about losing when you broke up with every boyfriend until JJ?” “Whatever, it was not like that! Anyway he is a lawyer and I want to talk to him about helping me get JJ out of jail” “Ok, I am not seeing where you need me to do this?” “Him and his dad are going to my parents house tonight to watch the Redskins game and I need to try to approach him with this, however, you know how hard it is to pull a Washingtonian from a Redskins game plus my dad will never let that conversation go on.” “I am still not understanding why you need me” Rebecca replies impatiently. “Moral support! I just need you to come just in case I need a diversion. I just need to get his number that’s it. Pllleeeassee Rebecca! “Ok, ok. But after 2PM!” “Yeah, yeah after 2PM Connie laughs, pick you up at 7, later!” Connie hangs up the phone with feeling a since of sneakiness and excitement. She was anxious to see Jermaine again after all these years. She knew that her outfit had to make sure that she looked nice and getting his number would be easy. Its working around her dad that would be hard….

© 2009 Shelly Bell


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Added on December 22, 2009
Last Updated on December 22, 2009

Author

Shelly Bell
Shelly Bell

Alexandria, VA



About
To merely refer to North Carolina native and Alexandria, VA resident Shelly Bell as a curious and talented consumer of life’s most positive energies would only tell half of the story. An award-w.. more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Poem by Shelly Bell