The Wait.

The Wait.

A Story by shireensyeda2

Anika was meeting her maternal grandfather after 11 years. Nervous and excited at the same time, she clutched onto the small gift she had bought for him. Mr Zayed Khanum, a powerful politician with a vast amount of wealth had snapped ties with his daughter (Anika's mother) after she defied Indian tradition and married a Russian, Anika's father, Dimitry. Mr. Khannum's stance however softened after his grand daughter was born. He showered her with expensive gifts which her parents (both scientists) initially resisted then later just let it be.
Anika was a struggling reporter with a dubious tabloid in New York. Dimitry,occasionally pointed out, that this was far from her dream of responsible journalism. However, she always defended, every journalist struggles at the beginning of their careers. Now, after a decade of struggle, she still found herself at the same place. Anika, wondered if she had it in her to make it.
She was at work one day, when the call came. He said he was dying and needed her to come to India to look into property matters. She was sad, but somehow couldn't help remember that she was the sole beneficiary of the vast estate . Anika was sad, excited and guilty  all at the same time. This could be an end to her financial troubles, maybe she could start a small newspaper herself. 
The train reached the small rural platform. Taking a deep breath , she got down and started walking towards the estate to meet her grandpa.
He was frail and dying. Anika, felt sorry to see him like this. A powerful man who had immense political clout, was so pale and weak.
Mr. Khannum sat up with great difficulty, ordered everyone out of the room. He held her hand tightly and said , "You know I am dying. So please let speak and do not stop me till I am finished. I know I was harsh on your mother when she married your father. But I tried to make amends after you were born. My daughter however,never let   me in. Your father too hated me.  Thats when I understood, no matter what I do, they will never forgive me.However you must realise I am a business man, and I have to keep this business running. When your parents shut all doors, so I took on a mistress, thinking about our business. I have an illegitimate son, living in this very estate. He is 24 now and ready to take on this responsibility, I have groomed him and trained him, but never told him he is my son. Your parents are scientists and you are a successful reporter, so I guess you understand why I am giving it all to him. All you need is sign on these papers that you are in no need of my money and estate".
Anika stared in disbelief, but all she could manage was, "Yes dada", before she signed on the stack of papers he had given her.

© 2014 shireensyeda2


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

51 Views
Added on May 19, 2014
Last Updated on May 19, 2014

Author