The death of hope

The death of hope

A Poem by Augustus

Death does not arrive unannounced at hope’s door.

Its dark silhouette looms in the distance, long before its labored steps are audible.

Hope is not to be whisked away suddenly and painlessly to the dark realm.

Death doesn’t offer hope a gracious handshake.

It permeates her very soul. Slowly, like a cancer savoring its malignant work.

Hope is a worthy adversary who fights to the bitter end.

There is first the burning flame, then a pale and wispy glow.  Then a flicker, almost imperceptible.

And just as you think it is over, there is an illusion of a renewed flame

Like a mythical phoenix rising from the ashes.

Alas, only mythical. As out of touch with reality as hope had been her entire life.

And then it ends in a forgotten moment. Who remembers when the last leaf falls in winter?

And I am left with naught but the fragile urn that holds her memories,

As death solemnly quotes a  truism for the ages:

“There is no pain for those I take away, only for those I leave behind”

© 2022 Augustus


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This one fills a spot in my years-end memories. Dealing is what we all do in our own ways... Quite a thought-full work.

Posted 3 Months Ago


Illustratively inventive battle between death and hope...
and yes the ones who suffer most are the ones left behind to grieve.
j.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Somber but eloquently put, this one. It seems to embrace the tragic view of life, almost like an echo of Ecclesiastes. I would not adopt it as a philosophy of life, but it is indeed beautifully written.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

256 Views
3 Reviews
Added on May 17, 2022
Last Updated on May 17, 2022

Author

Augustus
Augustus

Cambridge, MA



About
My name is Shreyas Gokhale. I have a PhD in Physics from the Indian Institute of Science and am currently a Post-doctoral Research Fellow at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. However, I guess.. more..

Writing
Polyphemus Polyphemus

A Poem by Augustus


Resurgence Resurgence

A Poem by Augustus