Human Curiosity

Human Curiosity

A Story by Blaine Shrum
"

Human curiosity is the driving force behind everything I do or think.

"

“Human Curiosity”

The need to know, that need which has propelled our species for millennia, may be the very thing which destroys us. We have to know. We cannot not know. Even when our own instinct and intuition try to stop us, we strive for greater knowledge. Knowledge is power---our power. But, what kind of power? Is it always good? It is certainly always tempting. The quest for knowledge tempts us into the great many unknowns that define our existence, from the vastness of the universe to the chaos of our own minds. We have no choice but to go forward in our pursuit of new knowledge, or we will be forced to relive our past and suffer again the pains of our past ignorance. Nostalgia is comforting only in small doses. Any people who abandon the dangerous and unknown quest for knowledge in exchange for the comfort and familiarity of nostalgia are sure to perish under the weight of their own history. 


This is the choice: do we go forward, headstrong and hastily, towards new knowledge which may very will remake, or possibly destroy, our very existence, or do we retreat into the cozy nest of nostalgia awaiting a past that will never return? The pursuit of knowledge is our only option. We lessen the fear of the unknown by comforting ourselves with utopian visions. The experts will tell confidently tell us: "Yes, the future will be chaotic and destructive, but we have a chance for perfection!” 

We believe with just the right combination of increasing knowledge and increasing regulation that we can create better people, maybe even perfect people. The quest for human knowledge is inextricably linked to the quest for human perfection. I fear a future where our only purpose of existence is to be perfected. We are not perfect, and never will be. But, we will always be curious.  Our future awaits…

© 2018 Blaine Shrum


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

48 Views
Added on July 17, 2018
Last Updated on July 17, 2018

Author

Blaine Shrum
Blaine Shrum

IN



About
Writing is not a distraction, but an extraction. Each day offers me an opportunity to explore not only the world, which is usually too loud for my tastes, but my own imagination. My mind has always be.. more..

Writing