The Trial

The Trial

A Story by stanley
"

This is a short story about a young medical student who killed his friend under alcohol induced state and anger.

"

The Young Trial

Chapter 1

What really happened Irvin? What happened young lad? An alluring question from the man in a well-tailored suit with protruding eyes which were weighing heavily on Irvin’s consciousness, whilst he was seated steadfast in this cubical which held a great history of judgement and the judge himself, oh that old man’s stare was worse than that of the man in a well-tailored suit, as Irvin was looking around the courtroom, overcame by a minor spasm and fear for his future, all was just in confusion, how can he, an outstanding medical student can be in such a predicament, how can he, a loving grandchild can be in such a pit of the judicial system which was ready to put him into total darkness . Irvin didn’t have the courage to survey the courtroom, at his loved ones, the only woman who installed such greatness in him, her feign look which was filled with tears and hopelessness for his great hope, simply paralyzed Irvin “oh drown me beneath your bosom dear earth” thought out loud Irvin “Help me dear Lord”, as he buries his head in his hands everything which was in vague replayed itself, everything which he was accused of came into light, that’s  when he started to sense that his stomach was whirling and nausea took over, what have I done?, that question plagued him all of a sudden.

 

The day started off like as any other day, according to Irvin’s life, it was a hot humid mild day quite obscure for Irvin as he was not decisive whether to wear his sweater or bare the morning dampness as later on the weather will be favorable if he just had worn his t-shirt. He was in a hurried state this morning as he woke pass the time to attend the 1st lecture and quite frankly he didn’t feel like attending, the previous day was the main cause of his demeanor, too much drinks with Vincent, late night jovial conversation with Vincent, frequent late nights festivities which caused him to be inane to his studies, all in all he just stopped caring about being number one in everything.

As he telephoned his guardian, in which he dreaded, the conversation was quite vague and very distance because he felt that his grandmother sensed his qualm towards his studies and he just gave short succession answers which very much irritated his guardian, he hated that she placed all her hopes and dreams on his shoulders, inwardly that tortured Irvin, how can she expects him to change their state of unutterable poverty that made him intimidated by failure. Every morning when he has to attend the intended classes he was forever in doubt if he can change their state of financial status but she believed in him but he concluded that believes are just baseless emotions which are bottomless pits that one needs to cling on to the edges in order not to fall into the abyss.

He knew that believes can stirrup false hope and leave you all tired and dried, so Irvin gave his short succession answers and ended the conversation with an “I love you” insertion, believes, I believe in you Irvin, sweet his grandma can weigh him down tiredly early this morning. As he was hastily packing his books into his backpack his thoughts reverted back to the day when he was 8years old when his guardian tried to explain the purpose of death and why death was so in important for the life cycle, to Irvin that was perplexing because all he knew was that he will never see his mother again, that’s all he knew by that time about death, that you will never see the deceased again, but he was told that he must believe that he will see his mother again “the hell with this believe”.

The lecture wasn’t worth rushing too as it was what he expected, the same old orthodoxies of medicine but quite refreshing from that “I believe in you, Irvin”. Marry was waiting outside the lecture hall, all worked out because she’s is another person that Irvin thought her believe fancies were just imaginations in a frying pan. smiling, like a typical woman she had more than what she can carry on her hands, guess he has to play that gentleman’s role, as Irvin took some of the loads off her hands.

“Why were you late?, buster” bolted Marry with just a glimpse of warmth displayed on her smile

“I was with Vincent, you know how it is…” answered Irvin

“Vincent is going to be the ruins of you hey, you have this year to do things right but you caught up in this new macho lifestyle” said Marry with a cold smirk on her face, resurfacing her well firmed dimples.

Irvin told her he’ll be OK, she needed not to worry. Their love has become cold for the last 2 years, in a 6 year relationship, but all was instigated by his sense of being inane towards everything, including Marry, and Marry could sense him with a clear judgement “what’s going on Irvin, don’t you care anymore?”, Irvin was also well aware that the bond between them was shaken and deep down he knew that its hard these day to find a well-rounded woman like Marry and surely he was messing up, he just became a nonattendance in this love affair. Fear startled him when he thought about it, he can’t lose Marry. Irvin knew he can’t simply lose her, that idea was occupying his mind whilst they were walking toward a fast food stand and Marry was telling him about her visit to her family and how her mother kept pestering her with question about him, is he still focused (in-school), straight A student I am sure and are you still his favorite, is he still in touch with his granny?  That conversation was very much animated and it bought a lot of relieve into his spirit and a faint smile presented itself in his face. Marry asked him whether he was able to come visit her today as they haven’t been spending enough time together lately and she missed him, surely enough he promised to come by her place, unsure about the “I miss you” Irvin asked “do you really mean that”

“What?” replied Marry?

“The ‘I miss you’ part” said Irvin with a sense of insecurities weighing down his macho manhood

“definitely, the old Irvin would be nice to see again, the high spirited Irvin who embraced everything life has to offer, remember that old Irvin who used to talk about the blue fairies” said marry with a sparkle in her eye that holds a firm believe that the old Irvin will be resuscitated

That made Irvin chuckle faintly, with a sense of inner reflection whilst consciously searching for the old Irvin within himself. Funny enough he found him sitting within his childhood reminiscences within his folded heart which was slightly graze by the misfortunes of life.

“I will surely bring him tonight than” replied Irvin as he kiss marry on the forehead as his normal sign of departure and Marry pressing her temple firmly on his lips as her sign of “no love lost” they shall survive this spasm of adolescence thus they go their separate ways one taking a slight glance to the other as they walk away.

 

As he had promised that he will go back as the old Irvin to Marry, but this vow made his believe of the old Irvin to reappear unclear and unsure so he submerged him and forgot all about the blue fairies. As they say “it takes too long for a leopard to change its pots that’s why it opts to remain in his current one”. Irvin opted to call Vincent in which he came later on the day, around 6pm, with some couple of beers and it seem like Vincent already had a couple of beers by himself, he was all brash and loud, displaying his sense  bravado. Vincent wasn’t much a choirboy, a matter of fact he was once in our small towns holding cells for indecent behavior under the influence of alcohol but as he would say it “I have been in prison boy for nothing but fighting hoodlums, 5 of them Irvin, and I came out as the victor now they say ‘its indecent behavior’ that’s bull, Irvin”. The typical Vincent, the show stopper, the guy who stopped attending medical lectures because he felt unsure about everything around his pursuits whilst his heart grew heavier towards is mothers’ death, maybe that’s the reason him and Irvin were two sailors stuck in the same vessel wondering aimlessly and thus Irvin knew that they were one of the same senses of self-independence  wondering aimlessly  without any worries and misconceptions about  life and that gave him a sense of rebellion towards what society intended for him that’s the reasons he told himself at this current moment that he will not become what Marry, his guardian and the world, intended him to become, a role setup for him so wondering aimlessly in life gave him great gratitude to his existence, it reassured  him thus he ensued to drink his frustrations away as Vincent place a bottle of vodka on the table and that made his thought marry, in order to forget about Marry.

Irvin wasn’t much himself as they kept on drinking, conversing and mumbling each words he cannot comprehend, he drank more than Vincent and he was foul mouthed more than Vincent. Frustrated by everything going wrong in his life which was forever nudging his consciousness, he drank to stop the nudging; he drank to sooth the pain.

The day was steady drowning and everything became colder as the moon rose and that’s when marry called stating her frustration towards Irvin’s weak characteristics “how can you be influenced by Vincent?” in as much power within himself, Irvin couldn’t give a valid, the vodka has taken a toll on him and giving in to the conclusion that he has lost her forever.

Drunk as he was he kept quiet looking at Vincent awhile, with his vicious protruding eyes that light-up the anger within him and filled his void of lost-love. How can he make me so miserable “you let Vincent influence you” that made him boil “you let Vincent dictate your character” that infuriate his anger within him. That’s when Irvin took his empty bottle of beer and smash Vincent in the head, blooded and all Vincent yelled “what’s wrong with you!!? Why you did that!” as he stood up, holding his blood flooding head. With the broken piece in his hand Irvin did the unthinkable with eyes filled with unconstrained hate he stabbed him, repeatedly in his abdominal as blood streamed down his knees Vincent kneeled-down(holding his stomach) and curled up like a newly born child and Irvin went back to his chair, drank his remaining vodka and waited for death to come and sooth Vincent away, he waited with a blank expression

 

                                        

Chapter 2

Silence fell within the room the atmosphere became darker; he drank his vodka holding his tumbler with his blood stained hands. He looked at the blank stare from his friend, his acquaintance who bought him the poison which gave him the courage to kill him; he vented his frustration on him even though he was long gone. Numbness took over his consciousness; it wasn’t much intimidated by the consequences of this dreadful action it wasn’t much bothered by it but by how his friend has led him to lose the love of his life, to perform so poorly in his university studies.

He hated him for many things which went wrong in his life, he hated Vincent, Irvin never wanted to take responsibility, he never did, and it was everyone’s fault. It was Marrys fault for not trying harder to help him, it was his Grandmothers fault for not trying harder to understand his deepest desires, which was for her to tell him the truth about his parents and it was surely Vincent’s fault for letting him drown his sorrows instead of dealing with them.

Tired and drenched in blood he threw himself on his bed and closed his eyes, pretending that it’s a beautiful dream which turned into a nightmare. He closed his eyes pretending that all was forgiven and forgotten. His consciousness sooth his senses that all was a nightmare, all was just his imagination. He fell into his slumber; he fell into his sleep with all guilt of being the biblical Cain fell away and his tomorrow was reassured.

                       - the courtroom-

The only thing he remembers was him lifting his head from his hands and the crowd was staring at him both in pity and dread. His actions dawned on him and he was the only person facing his jurors and he was forced to face his quilt, he was forced to take responsibility.

He couldn't blame his grandmother for such sin, he couldn’t blame marry for such hernias act. Surely he can’t blame the victim. He had no option but to stand up facing all the attendees and confess “yes I killed my best friend, yes I killed him because I couldn’t take responsibility, and yes I did”. The crowd  fell into silence and the air of confusion was still lingering, all hope lost for the future medical student as his loved ones walked out the court room and he was under the system now, a convicted murder cuffed and scuffled with guilt.



© 2015 stanley


Author's Note

stanley
any form of criticism is welcomed and any pointers to improve the story. bad and good reviewed is welcomed. please enjoy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

282 Views
Added on June 17, 2015
Last Updated on June 17, 2015

Author

stanley
stanley

johannesburg, gaunteng, South Africa



About
aspiring writer who is passionate about poetry, short stories and assay writing, willing to receive all kinds of constructive criticism as i am willing to learn as much as i can in this art form more..

Writing
The fighter The fighter

A Story by stanley