The Reset

The Reset

A Story by Sidharth Mishra
"

Are you an exasperated citizen tired of your corrupt government ? Here's the solution !

"

“Hey you! New guy! Yeah I’m talking to you...you idiot!” It’s not every day that you see a monkey talking. I thought I was having one of those nights where repressed childhood memories populate your dreams until I saw my reflection in that muddy pond. My classically handsome profile had been replaced by a squat face with beady eyes and a bulbous nose, the face of a Proboscis monkey!


As I tried to wash away what could have been the after-effects of a state of irresponsible inebriation, I realized that I was looking at a pair of hirsute hands, immersed into a stinky pool. So this was really happening to me, Franz Kafka’s Metamorphosis. My reverie was broken by a tug to my equally hirsute rear. The talking monkey held my tail in his hands and yanked it again.


“Y-You can talk?” - I had to take my chances. 

“Heard me when I called you an idiot?”

“Umm…yeah.”

“So, apparently, I can. How much did you drink?”

“Drink? What do you mean?”

“Dude you are a monkey for god’s sake. How do you think that happened!”

“I just woke up and…”

“Yeah yeah everyone says that at first, then it all comes back. It’s just the after-effects you know…”

“After-effects of what?”

“Oh…didn’t you hear? They have been doing random experiments on people…calling it Code Baboon or Buffoon or something. They have developed some kinda serum which de-evolves humans!”

“Is-Is that even possible?!”

“LOOK AT US!! What do you think!”

“Bu-but why?”

“Well, from what I’ve heard they are going for a revolution never before seen in history.”

“What revolution?”

“They are going to put the serum into the drinking water supply of the building.”

“The building?”

“Why the parliament of course, you silly!”

© 2014 Sidharth Mishra


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
Added on April 26, 2014
Last Updated on April 27, 2014
Tags: Reset, Satire, Science-fiction

Author

Sidharth Mishra
Sidharth Mishra

Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India



About
Hi there ! I am a Consultant in an IT firm. I love writing my thoughts out whenever I can. I feel Short-stories can be a very challenging and powerful medium to impact an audience. Hence, I try to exp.. more..