Victor's Response

Victor's Response

A Poem by Nightwind
"

An attempt to show what a winner of a contest would think. A boastful monologue of the victor speaking within himself the not-so-good natured thoughts a 'Good Sport' would never dare say aloud.

"
I know what you're thinkin'
'He Cheated! No way he could have such luck!'
But tis so; your worst fear stands before you.
Every second of preparation and practice leading up to this moment undone
by your now favorite, most-hated target.

YOU WILL HEAR THIS
You hear me say, 'I WILL rub it in your face. I will mock you.
I will drag this on as long as I can in front of all who watch
until time no longer permits me.'

But you shall not hear it coming from my lips
yet from MY voice that is in your head.
The only avenue of vindication that allows your hate for me to flow remorseless.

There is nothing you can do but watch and witness helplessly.
For I have sacrificed, worked harder than you
gave all to achieve this moment!
So I can dangle it in front of you.

To give the most vivid example of what separates you from me
Why IM better, why YOU failed
and what drove me maddeningly hard to achieve this moment.
All this I have to thank because of you...

And now all I have to do is smite you to seal MY FATE.

© 2011 Nightwind


Author's Note

Nightwind
Whenever I participate in competitive events, I maintain the 'Good Sport' persona: Treat everyone with respect, no showboating, and always say 'good luck' pre-game, as well as 'Good game' post-game no matter the outcome. I guess this would be the 'Mr. Hyde' side of myself jotting his thoughts down on paper. heh

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Keep writing this is awesome(:

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is a fascinating, multilayered bit of work! I too have always maintained the "good sport" facade but some part of me, just below my conscious perceptions, is thrilled beyond the telling of it, to have conquered. I have sometimes questioned my "modesty" in victory. I have also watched others in defeat and wondered just how plastic their smiles and good natured acknowledgement was. Even triumphant, I am left to marvel at the competitiveness of the human animal. For I believe that there is some biological imperative that drives us to exhilaration, when we best others.

I especially like how you allow some insecurity show in this. Everyone knows that we all love to watch the exalted fall. Even when we are on top of the mountain, there's a creeping doubt, as to how long we will stay there. They say we should be good to those we meet on the way up. We'll see them on our way down...

As I looked over this again, I couldn't help but see it from the defeated point of view as well. "But you shall not hear it coming from my lips
yet from MY voice that is in your head." Like I said, I've pondered this from both points of view and they both work equally for me.

This is an eye opening look at something we all experience but almost never allow ourselves to voice. Well done!

Posted 12 Years Ago


The poem is very interesting and it definitely shows the bad side of the winner. A few punctuation mistakes here and there, but they are not that noticeable. Well structured. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 28, 2011
Last Updated on July 28, 2011

Author

Nightwind
Nightwind

Fontana, CA



About
I have always had a deep passion for theatrics! No matter what I chose to do, watch, or participate in; for me the greater the theatricality the better! I have written poetry as a means to let my mind.. more..

Writing
Cloudy Day Cloudy Day

A Poem by Nightwind