Safe Travels

Safe Travels

A Poem by Silky

The atlas to my life debunked

The ships upon my sea have sunk

Settled lives content to be

Yet alone I wander in search of me


What glories past the horizon lay

What compromises forced to make

Within this scope of birth and rest

Proceeding with a cautious step


If only that the wind would blow

And usher me where I need to go

Plagued by doubt and scattered song

If only with me I could belong

© 2016 Silky


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ahah I don't think I can say it better than Corinn Bennett, but I completely agree! Lovely read.

Posted 7 Years Ago


It seems that we are all destined to eternally seek an answer to that ever-present question: Who am I? You have definitely captured that sentiment- a mixture between hope and fear and longing. In twelve verses, you've successfully united the personal quests of billions of people with absolutely nothing in common.

And that is no small feat. Bravo!

Word selection is paramount in poetry. You only have a few verses to connect readers to something fleeting and ambiguous. Words like "atlas", "ships", "wander", "glories", "horizon", and "wind" conjure up images of nautical adventure where one must have drive, confidence, and a heading to find the treasure of distant shores. Without these things, we are lonely ships listlessly drifting, hoping to brush up against land (and avoid sand bars, rocks, and reefs). Many of us can get stuck in this maelstrom of self-doubt. Great imagery!

Yet, with so much one could possibly say on this subject, you have managed to maintain a strong pace and consistent tone unfettered by fluff or unnecessary material. It's admirable and true. I greatly enjoyed the read.

Thank you!

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
2 Reviews
Added on September 22, 2016
Last Updated on September 22, 2016

Author

Silky
Silky

About
Hello literary friends! I am fairly new here, but I have been using my words to seek understanding for as long as I can remember. I love to write both poetry and prose, often in beat style. I plan .. more..

Writing