The Creation and the End

The Creation and the End

A Story by Justin Tobey
"

A description of the Creation of our world from my point of view. It combines some Buddhist ideas with the elements colliding, but apart from that is really just the mixed outcome of my ideas...

"

            The Void: Nothingness. Across the grey abyss, nothing moved to break the stillness, for there was nothing to move. Twilight and silence permeated the space.

          Then, a flicker appeared. It appeared to grow larger and larger, although It was really moving forward, not growing at all. Soon, It was larger enough to see that It was a single, golden spark of Fire. Despite the lack of fuel and air, It didn’t wink out but grew brighter and brighter. Steadily, It moved forward.

          Opposite the spark, a single droplet of crystal clear Water spun through the Void, moving in a direct collision course with the spark. It wobbled uncertainly but continued to move progressively forward, glowing with eerie, silver light.

          Moving closer and closer, the spark and the droplet stopped about five drops of Water apart. A single particle of Water split from the main group and met a single speck of Fire that had separated from the spark. With a bright flash of radiance, They formed the very essence of Light; the First Light. Spinning and glowing, It shed layers of crystalline radiance which collapsed into tiny, iridescent particles that were immediately sucked back into the core. Very near to the core, the tiny bits of Fire and Water floated. After a few seconds, They floated back outward, quivering and shifting. With each resolution, the specks grew bigger and bigger until a blazing Fire sat opposite a wave’s worth of Water, coiled into a ball. In between, the Light continued the pattern of opalescent beauty.

          From the other two corners of the Void, a single grain of Earth and a particle of Air floated towards the Light. By some fortuitous coincidence, They were marshaled together to form the First Darkness. It was like every shadow ever to exist spun around a core of deep purple energy. Like Fire and Water, Earth and Air became large, and the two great Powers, Light and Dark, met in the middle of the elemental circle.

          The two Forces struggled for dominance, but neither could achieve it. Each unable to best the other, they spun in a giant cyclone that had the force of the sun and the moon. With a final blaze of Darkness and Light, the battle ended. For both watched as a New Power joined. It didn’t have an appearance, but it could be felt through everything. Spirit, the divine breath, joined the circle and completed the ritual. Thus the reality was created; as were the supreme guardians of it, the Forces.

 

 

 

 

 

 

          A few hours later, the last of the void-matter dispersed. After a brief council, the Forces had decided that life should appear as it would, strange mixtures of the elements that would inhabit the new World. They took their places on the earth and sat to watch life unfold. Soon, bare Earth gave way to bright, green grass, tall, bountiful trees, and enormous, towering mountains. Water formed the great oceans, rivers, and lakes. Fire raged in the sun, moving slowly across the sky to give warmth and light to all. The Air formed an all-encompassing shell and filled all the blanks spots.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

          Soon, animals sprang from nature as well. Deer roamed the forests, fish swam in the oceans, and birds flew through the skies. Thousands of different animals scattered across nature and a cycle of life and death began. However, fights broke out over who was superior. After several failed attempts, the Forces decided that they were too few in number to stop the fighting. For this purpose they created humans.

 

 

 

 

 

For the first few millennia, they were a wonderful race that lived in balance with nature. However, the centuries flew by, and soon, they were a major problem. They drained the fish from the sea, reduced the forests to half their sizes, and pushed hundreds of species to the point of extinction. Despite the Forces’ attempts through natural disasters, humanity would not relinquish its hold on nature. Soon, they were so far gone that they no longer even understood the language of animals. The millennia passed, and the Forces surveyed their world again. Now, tall, grey buildings replaced the mighty trees. The once photogenic mountain ranges were covered with oil-refineries and power lines. The humans were abusive not only to the environment and other animals, but to themselves as well.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Forces decided that enough was enough. They rebelled against each other in a shockwave that ripped through reality. The oceans churned and bubbled, the ground tore and snapped, the wind brushed over buildings like they were feathers, and flames erupted from nowhere. All of nature exploded in a fury of energy while the elements tried to split, whether they were separate or combined. During this mighty elemental uprising, life perished.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Forces met once again, reduced to their original sizes and shapes before they combined into nature. Fire a blaze, Water a wave, Earth a crystal, and Air a cloud.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We have failed, said Earth. Now that we have begun the elemental separation, we must once again go to our corners of the Void…” His mighty voice echoed through the nothingness. Water’s bubbly voice sprang up like a spring, “Perhaps this is best. We will have time to reflect on what to do next time…Fire’s crackling tone sizzled through the air, We will need to put a marker here to remind us where to go again… While Water and Earth murmured their agreement, Air whispered in a voice like the wind, “I believe that Spirit will guide us back here again. We will know where to go...”

 

 

 

 

 

And so, the Forces slowly shrank back to their own size as their circle grew bigger and they grew farther away. Earth and Air became a speck of dust and a particle of Air once more. In unison, they floated away in opposite directions until they disappeared into the Void.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Water looked to Fire as they shrank to droplet and spark, “Take care, my love... We will meet again in a new reality, a new dance… Fire crackled one last time in assent, and the silvery droplet floated away. He looked lonely as he gazed in the directions the other elements went and turned back. Floating away, he became a spark, then a flicker. Finally, he was gone from sight.

 

 

Twilight…     

 

 

Silence…

 

The Void…

 

© 2008 Justin Tobey


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Love Me Not
1986, Penny Herrera falls into the predatory clutches of Matt, an older man who has no other intention than to alter Pen

Author's Note

Justin Tobey
I'm not really sure if this is good or not, so please give me as much feedback as possible. I'm really open to suggestions on this one...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
Added on April 16, 2008

Author

Justin Tobey
Justin Tobey

The West, Milky Way Galaxy, Existence



About
Name: Justin Age: Older than some piano benches, younger than some stars. Brain-orientation: Right Eye color: Brown Pet rock's name: Supreme High Chancellor Nuic I've always been interested in .. more..

Writing
Fall Fall

A Poem by Justin Tobey