The Rise and Fall of the Rak'im

The Rise and Fall of the Rak'im

A Story by Justin Tobey
"

I don't really know where this story came from, but I think it is an example of how the world needs balance. See, I have a theory about why monarchies and empires always seem to fall after a while. People always say the world needs balance, yet special pe

"

            Once upon a time, there lived three powerful races that dominated the land of Faerie. They were the Fomorii, the Eaglemen, and the Rak’im. For centuries they had coexisted peacefully, and all was well.

            The Fomorii appeared just as we humans do, with two arms, two legs, and one head. They lived on the Copperfyre Isles, a long chain of islands off the coast of Faerie. Their magnificent, domed building and towers were scattered across the landscape, and they often continued right up to the shoreline and into the ocean. The Fomorii had the amazing ability to grow gills and webbed hands and feet upon contact with water. Thus, the amphibious race built most of their building beneath the waves. Pearls of all colors and sizes coated the edifices, and the capital city was crowned with a coral tower holding up a pearl the size of a human head, shiningly iridescent.

            The Eaglemen actually consisted of two sub-species, Eagles and Ravens. The Eagles had two arms, two legs, one head, and two wings each. The Ravens had wings where their arms should have been, so were more adept at flying than holding objects and building. The Eaglemen lived high up in the Teralor Sky-Mountains, the highest mountain range on the continent. It was called a sky-mountain because at the peak of each mountain, a group a giant, floating rocks drifted over like clouds. Many of the Eaglemen Clans lived on the giant rocks, migrating every season to follow the strongest air currents.

            The final race, the Rak’im, was the most powerful and mysterious. They lived in deep underground caverns and tunnels, some of which were miles across. They, like the Fomorii, basically looked as we do. However, the lack of sunlight gave them fair skin, and their hair was always dark as midnight. To replace fire, they mined Firecrystals, brightly glowing gems, and encrusted buildings and rods with them. The Firecrystals grew naturally on the ceiling of many tunnels, and, when they were still in the earth, brightened and faded like the sun. The Rak’im used the Firecrystals not only for light, but for magic. For the Rak’im were sorcerers, gifted in the magic of earth, sky, and sea. Their buildings were made from solid turquoise, and the largest Firecrystals were placed in towers to give light to an entire city/cave.

            As I said, at first, all was well. The races kept mostly to themselves, and the hunting of any other race was forbidden. However, the centuries bred a rivalry between the Eaglemen and the Rak’im. The Rak’im, being people of the earth, cursed the winged people who glided so gracefully through the sky. The Rak’im leader sent emissaries to them, demanding that the Eaglemen clear the skies, which were forbidden and evil to them. However, the Eaglemen merely laughed at such a request. Why should they, who were built for flight, leave the skies forever because of the superstitions of another race? What would the Rak’im do, come up to the very place they despised and make them?

            When the Rak’im heard this, they grew very angry. However, they knew that the Eaglemen were right. They could not possibly travel up the narrow pathways of the Teralor Sky-Mountains. Even if they could, their armies were tiny, barely even a royal guard, not nearly enough to storm the labyrinth-like Sky-Mountains. Spellweaving was the only option left to them. So, they brewed their dark potions, burned their dark herbs, and chanted their dark spells that would wrest power of the Sky-Mountains from the Eaglemen. Three days passed, three days to capture the power of the earth, the sea, and, most importantly, the sky. Finally, it was complete. A dark, green smoke wafted up from the caverns of the Rak’im. It drifted up into the realm of the Eaglemen and poisoned the very air they breathed. Dozens of the clans were lost. In their weakened state, the Eaglemen were no match for the various curses and potions that polluted their air. Soon, they were all but extinct.

            Thus, the first Empire of Rak’im was created. What were left of the Eaglemen became slaves, building monuments throughout the caverns of the Rak’im. Gradually, their power extended to the lands beyond the lengths of tunnels they called home. A large host was created and, by night, they traveled to the CopperfyreIslands and took control of the Fomorii, whose armies crumbled before the dark magic.

            Soon, absolute power was established. The reign of the Rak’im lasted for several centuries, and all hope of freedom for the other races was lost. Nothing was left of the magnificent culture and uniqueness that had graced the other races. Over the generations of living on the land, the Eaglemen and the Fomorii lost their amazing powers. The Fomorii no longer shifted their form, and the Eaglemen lost the knowledge of flight.

            One day, however, a spark of hope was born in the form of a half-breed. The races had never interbred, partly because the races were segregated under the Rak’im, but when an Eagleman and a Fomorii woman fell in love, there was no stopping their marriage. The boy, Ark’in, had long, dark hair and eyes as blue as pure sapphire. Ark’in grew up quite differently than other children. Somehow, the genetic traits of flight and swimming had been reborn when the two clashes. He was the only person who could fly, and the only person who could form into a Fomorii. He also could form into a regular human, concealing his wings altogether. However, that was not all he could do. His mixed bloodlines had also given him the gift of magic, more powerful than any in the Empire. It was the power of love, truth, and faith.

As a young man, he joined a small group of rebels and quickly climbed the ranks. He was strong, smart, and fast, and his abilities of magic were infinitely growing. Finally, an attack was waged against the grandiose, royal palace of the Rak’im. Many of the rebels were struck down, but Ark’in kept going, past the royal guards and spellweavers, and straight to the royal throne room. The Emperor, a stooped, cloaked, withered old man, stood from his throne to meet him. Sparks of dark magic spat out of his hands, but were cast away by Ark’in’s power. Finally, a beam of dark energy erupted from the Emperor’s outstretched arms. Ark’in spun his hands in a circular, fluid motion, chanting complex spells, while the bolts of purple lightning zapped at his defenses.

            Sapphire eyes flashing, Ark’in pushed the powerful magic back and readied himself for a final attempt. His three ancient magics, love, truth, and faith, merged and assaulted the Emperor, who, once more, shot out bolts of dark, unbridled energy. The two clashed, and the shockwaves cracked not only the turquoise walls, but shattered the mighty walls and ceiling of the city/cave. Both struggling to gain an advantage, they gathered their strength to push back the other’s spells. Finally, love, truth, and faith won. The pure blue light of Ark’in’s magic struck the Emperor, who fell to the ground. However, love, truth, and faith do not destroy. They are the envoys of Life, and so the Emperor was not killed.

He was saved.

The three powers swept through him, showing him every wrong he had ever committed, every lie he had ever told. Deep in the Emperor’s heart, evil was released. And the magic did not stop there. Pure Life Force penetrated every corner of the continent, streaming out of Ark’in’s sapphire eyes and outstretched hands, and gave new life to the forests and animals that had diminished during the dark reign of the Rak’im. The turquoise walls cracked, and beautiful flowers and trees sprung up.  Vines quickly wrapped around the tall towers, and the Firecrystals flashed and blazed with energy.

Unfortunately, such extreme growth wasn’t completely good. Whole towers crumbled because of their weakened bases, and the shockwaves of the energy caused an earthquake. Large chunks of rock fell from the ceiling, crashing down and wiping out many of the surviving towers. It was obvious that soon, the cavern would collapse. The city was quickly evacuated, all thoughts of different races forgotten in the mad rush for safety. All the people of all the races made it out.

Except for Ark’in.

By the time the rebels discovered that Ark’in was missing, it was too late. So, they all watched in horror as the falling boulders crushed the city.

            A few days later, a retrieval squad was sent in to look for the missing young man with the sapphire eyes. They were astonished to find a gaping hole in the ceiling of the cavern. The light of the moon and the Firecrystals allowed them to search through the debris, until the got to the throne room. Nothing remained but a few trees. They were going to move on when a young Fomorii cried out.

In the middle of the floor, a sapling reached through a crack in the turquoise. Life Force still residing in it, the young tree grew at an astonishing pace. More and more, dark leaves burst into life and fell down around the smooth, white trunk. The rebels watched in awe as the tree grew and grew until it was twice as tall as a man. They knew their search was over when they saw blue flowers blooming through the long, dark leaves.

Flowers as bright and as blue as sapphires.

 

© 2008 Justin Tobey


Author's Note

Justin Tobey
Like my other story, The Creation and the End, I want as much feedback as possible so I can improve this story. Thanks!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on April 16, 2008
Last Updated on April 16, 2008

Author

Justin Tobey
Justin Tobey

The West, Milky Way Galaxy, Existence



About
Name: Justin Age: Older than some piano benches, younger than some stars. Brain-orientation: Right Eye color: Brown Pet rock's name: Supreme High Chancellor Nuic I've always been interested in .. more..

Writing
Fall Fall

A Poem by Justin Tobey