The Story of Atlantis

The Story of Atlantis

A Story by Justin Tobey
"

I've always been fascinated with tales of the lost continent, so I decided to put together a few different version I've read to make the entire history. Like most of my stories, it is in a summarized form.

"

The Story of Atlantis

Retold by Justin Tobey

 

         

Long ago, the great gods of Greece ruled the land. Zeus, god of lightning, ruled the sky, Hades, god of the Underworld, ruled there, and Poseidon, god of the ocean, ruled the seas. Although he was married to Amphitrite, he often pursued other women. At one time, he fell in love with a beautiful young lady named Cleito who lived on a small island. They loved each other very much, and she bore him nine sons. Poseidon wanted Cleito and her sons to live peacefully and happily, so he decided to transform the small island they lived on into a prosperous, wonderful land. He increased the island’s size, made it circular, and filled it with an abundance of plant and animal life. He created a hot water spring and cold water spring at the center and made a series of water rings splitting the island into layers.

          Once his magnificent island, Atlantis, was completed, he made his eldest son by Cleito its king, and his eight brothers the princes and rulers of the eight states and provinces. Through the generations, a mighty empire grew. The descendants of Poseidon ruled the island wisely, and soon the empire influenced the lands around for miles and miles. More provinces were added, and all the areas of the Atlanteans’ domain enjoyed a bounty of trade and peaceful government. Walls were erected to protect the many rings of water and land which were made of solid gold, silver, and tin. A remarkable metal, a type of copper, was found on the island and became the center of the Atlantean economy. This incredible metal, named orichalkos, supposedly “sparkled like fire,” and was found only on the continent. The Temple of Poseidon in the middle of the city had whole pillars made of the miraculous copper, and gold and silver decorated almost every square inch. In the Temple, the nine descendents of Poseidon met every year to pray reverently to their god and to discuss plans for the coming year. However, through the generations, the people of Atlantis grew arrogant. They had amassed the greatest empire the world had ever known, made incredible leaps in science and philosophy, and had created what they believed was a perfect society. Among other civilizations of the Mediterranean, signs of rebellion showed.

          Up on Olympus, the gods discussed their fate. A fierce debate ensued, and eventually, they agreed the Atlantis had risen too far. Even Poseidon was displeased with the now lethargic and proud empire his sons had begun. The gods prepared for the destruction of Atlantis. Hephaestus, the god of smiths, constructed more lightning bolts for Zeus to use. Ares sharpened his sword and Athena sharpened her terrible, petrifying shield, the Aegis. Soon, it began.

          At the time, the Atlanteans were ensued in battle with the rebellious Athenians. The Atlantean Navy was away, leaving the city undefended. Lightning blared across the sky, occasionally striking the tall towers of the city. The sea grew stormy, powerful currents and waves ripping apart the Atlantean Navy’s ships. Poseidon struck the ground with his mighty trident and the earth ripped apart. Whole buildings fell and the roads connecting cities were ruined. Hephaestus left the door to one of his mountain/forges ajar, so fire and molten rock rained down on the citizens of the ruined empire.

          Across the sea, Ares, god of war, and Eris, spirit of discord, caused havoc among the ranks of the Atlantean armies. Despite their obvious number advantages, they fell, one by one, until it was only a portion of the size of the original fighting force. In this way, the entire Atlantean Empire fell to panic in a single day and night of chaos. The aftermath of the attack was just as worse. The nation had no direction, no protection, and no hope. Poseidon waved his glittering, golden trident once more, and the great island of Atlantis sank beneath the waves.

 

 

 

          Years passed. The stories faded to legend, legend to myth, until only the occasional bard was lucky enough to know the story of the rise and fall.

          One day, a young Egyptian scribe was scouring through ancient texts, looking for something for his master, a great priest. He traveled deep into the catacombs, looking for the right scroll. It was there that he happened upon an ancient stone tablet from nine thousand years earlier. Amazed, he read the story of the great empire. He passed it along to his master, who, for the proper sum, passed it along to Socrates, a wandering philosopher from the land of Greece. However, he didn’t have the time to pass the incredible tale on to many others. The only one who believed him was his famous student, Plato. Plato recorded the tales in two of his book, the Timaeus and Critias. They are now the only account of the giant continent and the empire that inhabited it, leading the lives of gods, until the perished and were consumed by the sea.

 

© 2008 Justin Tobey


Author's Note

Justin Tobey
Once again, please give me whatever feedback you can. Thanks!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love Mythology and the Story of Atlantis has always been tantalising to me. Your piece was informative and well structured. It felt more like I was reading a book on Greek Mythology, then an actual fictional story, was that your intention?



Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 16, 2008

Author

Justin Tobey
Justin Tobey

The West, Milky Way Galaxy, Existence



About
Name: Justin Age: Older than some piano benches, younger than some stars. Brain-orientation: Right Eye color: Brown Pet rock's name: Supreme High Chancellor Nuic I've always been interested in .. more..

Writing
Fall Fall

A Poem by Justin Tobey