Crank Up The Juice!!!

Crank Up The Juice!!!

A Story by Justin Tobey
"

This is a true story from a few days ago. Water tubing is fun!!!

"

          "Remember, Justin. Thumbs up is faster, thumbs down is slower, pat your head is you're good, and swiping your hand across your neck is stop."

          I nodded as I buckled and tightened the straps on my life jacket. Jessica, the girl who was going with me, yelled excitedly, "Are you ready, man?" I grinned and nodded enthusiastically.

          Jessica had just gotten out of high school in my home town and was now going to college in Colorado. She was best friends with my cousin, and lived with my aunt and uncle now, along with their dogs, cows, chickens, and horses.

          Uncle Glenn grabbed the rope securing the tube to the boat and pulled it up to the side. Jessica hopped into the water first, and I followed a few seconds later. The murky blue-green water shocked me, but it wasn't too bad. I shivered a little bit as I waited for her to climb onto the inner tube. She quicly grabbed her way up to the top and waited for me. After several failed attemps and help from Jessica, I was finally on the tube. We both grabbed two of the six handles in front of us, and Jessica gave the thumbs up. I tightened my grip, remember how fast Jessica had gone with my cousin, Kayla.

          The boat started, and we quickly skimmed over the water. As the boat accelerated, the wake became bigger and bigger, white foam splashing upward and outward like the frothing mouth of a monster. As we bumped and splashed out way over the waves, I constantly had to readjust my position on the tube. I had already fallen off four times, and that was at a normal speed. I could only imagine with horror the rough ride I was in for with Jessica.

          Soon, we were speeding and bumping along. Surprising myself, I hadn't fallen off yet, and felt no danger of it. Beside me, Jessica had an almost perpetual thumbs up, laughing maniacally after each bump. When we reached a speed where it was simply foolish to let go of the handles, she simply shouted at the top of her lungs, "CRANK UP THE JUICE!!!!!" before continuing her diabolical laughter.

          "That is the scariest laugh I've ever heard," I shouted over the noise, grinning as adrenaline pumped through my body. Jessica chuckled and asked, "How do you feel?"

          "Exhilarated," I answered truthfully. She laughed again and yelled, "Hold on!!!"

          She leaned in towards me, pushing the boat to the side of the wake. The boat continued to go faster at Jessica's thumbs up, and the waves increased. Soon we were flying off of them like they were ramps.

          "OH! ...MY! ...GOD!" I screamed after each literally breathtaking landing from the waves. All the while, Jessica was still grinning and laughing, supremely enjoying my reaction. On the boat, Kayla also chuckled at my fear. Jessica continued to lean, saying, "Any minute now, Uncle Allen is going to flip us!"

          Crap! I thought. I'd already seen Jessica and Kayla flipped, and was not exactly eager to try it myself. Uncle Allen had swerved the boat, and the tube almost doubled in speed, falling right over the edge of the wake and skipping over the water like a rock. Kayla had fallen out, flipping over a few times and landing in the freezing water. She'd said it was a lot of fun, but I wasn't reassured.

          As she'd predicted, the boat began to turn. I grabbed on tightly, but still my body slid to the side. "HAHAHA!!!!!" she laughed in triumph. We hurtled over the bubbling edge of the wake and skidded over the waves. Beneath me, the tubes friction was so great, the water behind us was actually warm. Finally, we slowed back to a normal speed. Half-way off the side, I yelled for her to give the slow down signal. She did, and the boat slowed sufficiently for me to claw my way back on.

          Soon we were splashing along behind it again. She constantly wanted to go into the wake, and I began to enjoy it as well. I still fell off, but most of the time I just held on and let her have her own speedy way. After what seemed like an eternity (twenty minutes later), the boat stopped and my Uncle Glenn pulled the tube back in by the rope. We sat on the boat, dripping wet, still full of adrenaline.

          "Justin, I give you massive props for that, man." I grinned my thanks and took off the life jacket for Kayla to use. I guess what wasn't so bad, I thought to myself and smiled. Already, the words were writing themselves in my mind...

© 2008 Justin Tobey


Author's Note

Justin Tobey
As always, feel free to critique. Also, this is a true story, so please don't critique the storyline itself, just grammar and the way I wrote it. I don't want to change it too much from how it actually happened.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

haha! I've been tubing... it's a blast! You've described it quite well my friend, it took me back to my own time and place while visiting your adventure as well :)

Well done Justin! You should go again... lol I think I will too now! :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ah! That sounds like fun.
Great useage of words,
one can get into the story!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A great story which shows a totally different side to you, Justin. I enjoyed that very much.

highschool ---- high school.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Meh
Great plot, great description, and great dialogue. Must've been a wonderful trip! I want more!!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 15, 2008
Last Updated on September 28, 2008

Author

Justin Tobey
Justin Tobey

The West, Milky Way Galaxy, Existence



About
Name: Justin Age: Older than some piano benches, younger than some stars. Brain-orientation: Right Eye color: Brown Pet rock's name: Supreme High Chancellor Nuic I've always been interested in .. more..

Writing
Fall Fall

A Poem by Justin Tobey



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..