The Other Senses

The Other Senses

A Story by Justin Tobey
"

I'm taking an anthropology course at the local college, and this was a fun experience we had.

"

     "Okay, you can put on your blindfolds. The things in the Dixie cups are for eating. Otherwise, just feel the objects. Remember, the point of the exercise is to experience the other senses."

     I close my eyes to the large classroom and long table before me. The light brown bandana wraps around my head and, after a few failed attempts, I tie it tightly through my ponytail.

     Music comes on over the sound system, and although I can't see it, I can sense each other forty students swaying to the cultural, rhymic waves that wash over us all. The sound is loud, but not quite enough not to be obnoxious. With a soft creak, the door swings shut and full darkness overtakes the colors behind my eyes. As the dancing music pulses through the room, we all wait in excited anticipation. Finally, it happens.

     A soft finger taps my open palms, and an object is given to me. It feels like wood or plastic, and I can feel dozens of overlapping joints connecting the whole. My hands explore the smooth texture of the toy, the rigid, unchanging shape. After a few minutes, a finger taps my hand once more, and it is taken from me, to be replaced by something new.

     This new piece surprises me at first, but I laugh silently at myself a moment later. I can immediately tell what it is: A replica of an alligator skull. The rows of sharp teeth and angular jaw make it obvious.

     All the while, this continues. Pieces taken and given, exotic fruits eaten. The entire time the swaying music floating forward, the air very air thrumming with its strength. Strange aromas conflict with each other: sweet tea, strong incense, orange citrus. I'm hit with a barrage of sensory overload. All the while, gongs, chimes, and rainsticks fill the room to accompany the music. At one time I heard three bells at once surrounding me. But how can this be? There is only one teacher.

     Round after round of shapes, smells, tastes, and, above all, sounds threaten to overwhelm me. They blend and morph, all of them powerful. The music reaches a crescendo, incense passes right in front of me, and a resounding clang! erupts right next to my head. They all blend together behind my eyes, a swirling maelstrom of senses. A new consciousness becomes available to me, the sounds and scents, while still strong, being pushed to the back of my mind. They echo and reverberate, and a sense of universal omniscience takes hold.

    I'm shocked back to reality with a jolt of adrenaline. In my new state of mind, my muscles weakened, and the fruit I was holding fell onto my lap with a quiet thud. A smile at my clumsiness and continue to sway to the music. Deprived of sight, I have a new sensitivity to the humming of the air around me, the pleasant aromas swirling and drifting. All thoughts forgotten, I lose myself behind the power of the other senses.

© 2008 Justin Tobey


Author's Note

Justin Tobey
As always, feel free to critique. However, I'm not changing the actual story, because I want to keep it true. I'm just looking for critique on style, descriptions, etc.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This must have been such an intriquing experience/experiment. I suppose that must be what if feels like to be blind - a whirlwind of other senses heightened at the loss of one sense. Very descriptive and captivating. Thank you for sharing.
Light,
Siddartha


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
1 Review
Added on September 12, 2008

Author

Justin Tobey
Justin Tobey

The West, Milky Way Galaxy, Existence



About
Name: Justin Age: Older than some piano benches, younger than some stars. Brain-orientation: Right Eye color: Brown Pet rock's name: Supreme High Chancellor Nuic I've always been interested in .. more..

Writing
Fall Fall

A Poem by Justin Tobey