Live or Die

Live or Die

A Story by ~Sorcha~
"

weird kinda romance death vampire thing

"

I remember the slowing of my pulse, each beat of my heart seemed to become more faint with each passing second until it just stopped. My breathing had disappeared and I hadn't even noticed, it was like my lungs never existed. I just sank into a dark bliss of non-existence; my life was over, and had only just begun.

 

I remember waking up the next morning after dying and feeling like I had just be born, my limbs were heavy and I had trouble balancing and standing, but after a few tries it was possible. I was like a newborn calf. It was wondrous.

 

I hated living as a human, I hated everything about that life. It was only torture. I had no family, no friends, no home. I had only just graduated high school two months previously before everything was falling apart. My parents got divorced, then my mom had another heart attack, but never woke up. My dad got drunk and went driving only to drive into the Puget Sound and drown. My sister was killed by a druggy in her home in Hawaii, and my brother was murdered by his best friend when they got high one night and were playing with my bro's new sword I had just bought him in leavenworth. My other family couldn't take my in, my aunts and uncles and grandparents, none of them could afford their own family enough to take on another child. My friends all abandoned me because after the deaths of my parents and siblings, I went berserk. I never spoke to anyone, I never cried, I was like a doll. I had no emotion, no thought, nothing. My boyfriend eventually broke up with me because he couldn't handle anything about me anymore. I was no longer the girl he had loved so much. She died when the others did. I was something new, something painful and hurtful and depressed.

 

Life was a burden, a cruel and twisted fate. So I chose the only thing I could; death. And a savior came in the form of black twisting cloth around his young and beautiful form. A vampire named Daimynn had come to set my soul free of its pain.

 

"Do you wish to die?" He asked.

 

"Please," I begged as the first tears finally ran down my face.

 

"Good," he said before taking me up in his arms and leaning my head back. His teeth pierced my skin, my throat, and I could feel the blood draining from my body, I could feel myself dying. But it didn't hurt. I nearly started laughing as his tongue and teeth tickled my throat. After I was to the point of nearly complete death, he bit his own wrist and made me drink. It didn't taste like rusted salt, like human blood. It tasted sweet, and I wanted it; I could feel my body greatly desire more of his blood. But he forced me to stop drinking. I remember feeling faint, tired beyond reasoning since I had only just woken up. And I collapsed into his arms, and fell asleep.

 

That next morning, or should I call it night, was the most wondrous I had felt in what seemed like years. I was whole, the pain from my heart, from my losses, it had all vanished. I even laughed upon the situation of mortal deaths.  If only I had known that laughter would haunt me again so many years later.

 

I learned each day more about the world of the night that I know belonged. I still referred each night to being day no matter how many times I was corrected, and then Daimynn gave up on the subject. We had realized together that I held much potential as a nightstalker, that I may even be of the highest class of vampire known only as the Vyre. I could become any animal I wished, in any color I wished even. I had amazingly good control over myself, even when extremely thirsty. My strength outmatched anyone around us for miles, even Daimynn's. And what's more, I was finally beautiful. Becoming vampiric made me slender and paler then I had been, my eyes shone black as night and my hair remained the color of gold. I had power and beauty, and I no longer hurt over trivial matters of life.

 

Years passed, and I stayed with Daimynn, we even became lovers. For me, there was no other person than him. We fought many battles together, and always were we the victors. We continued to be the strongest of all immortals for over a thousand years.

 

But, alas, I became lonely for my mortal world. I left Daimynn for a few days because I wanted to revisit the world and home I left behind. So returning to my lost home, I walked around the property that had once been filled with the laughter and anger and joy and sorrows of my family. No one lived here any longer, the home we had was long gone. But I was surprised. A group of four hunters sat waiting for me.

 

"Hello again, Sara. It's been over a thousand years, has it not?" A once familiar male voice said to me. Hunters of my kind had a tendancy to be immortals themselves, but we had yet to know how it was possible; though I did have a theory.

 

"Uhm, do I know any of you?" I asked, confused at the familiarity.

 

"Why yes, you do know us. Or you did, while you lived." A female voice answered.

 

"We were all good friends in life, but you left us, you betrayed us. Why did you do that, Sara?" Another female asked.

 

"You said we were your friends, you said you would never kill yourself. You lied to us. Why?" The last, male, voice asked.

 

"Who are you and then maybe I can answer?" I replied. They removed the hoods that shadowed their faces and immediately I recognized them from my life. It was my ex-boyfriend Gary, my best friend Julie, my other best friend Chelsea, and my other best guy friend Matt. We all used to hang out together and go everywhere together and just have fun, until my world fell apart that is. They were the only ones who still tried to continue finding me, but when they gave up, I died.

 

"Recognize us now, Sara?" Gary asked me with a sad and hurt voice.

 

"I do," I replied in that same sad, hurt voice. The people I loved most were now hunters, were people who killed my kind and tried to kill me and my beloved many times.

 

"Does it hurt you to see us, your friends, as hunters?" Julie asked me.

 

"Very much," I replied, knowing if I could cry I would have been crying right then. But if I cried, I would have lost blood, since being a vampire, all bodily fluids were replaced with blood, and I couldn't afford to lose any if I should have to fight anyone that day.

 

"If it hurts, then why aren't you crying?" Chelsea asked.

 

"I'm dead, and dead people just don't cry for the living, we cry for ourselves." I answered.

 

"The dead don't talk either," Matt said before pulling out a gun and a silver knife. The others immediately followed suit.

 

"If you plan on killing me, then you must already know how powerful I am." I said as I just blankly stared at their pitiful weapons. "And if you know of my power, you know that those weapons you hold, knives and guns, would do nothing to me." I continued.

 

"We don't plan on killing you; we are going to make you live." Gary said before shooting me three times. The bullets caused little pain to me, but it was just a bit annoying. Frankly, it pissed me off. The other three started shooting me, which distracted me for a moment, and in that time gary charged at me with his silver knife.

 

I wasn't able to dodge his first swing which grazed my right arm, but his next one I was prepared for and was able to easily avoid. The other three had stopped shooting and were now coming at me from each side with their knives.

 

"Four against one, isn't that a little unfair? Shouldn't there be more of you? After all, any hunter who has heard of me knows that anything less than ten is just to easy," I said as I dodged each swing from all of them. I jumped into the air and immediately changed form into a raven. I swooped amongst them clawing and ripping with my beak and talons. But they were prepared for that and immediately started shooting again. I was able to dodge most, but a single bullet pierced through my chest. "Crap," I thought to myself as I fell from the sky. It was a direct shot through my heart, and the bullet remained in me, so I became paralyzed.

 

As my limp body thudded into the ground, Matt hit me over the head with the butt of his knife and sent me into unconciousness. I couldn't remember anything in that time I was out cold, nor do I remember much from when I awoke. I just remember it hurting, everywhere. I could feel my body re-awaken. My chest hurt so badly I wanted to tear myself to shreds. My heart was working, trying to pump the blood in my body as it tried to bring life to the lifeless. My lungs were searing with pain as air started to flow into them once more, and my throat burned like fire with the incoming cold air. My muscles were all cramped and I felt like I was dying, when I was only living.

 

"What have you done to me?" I choked out through pained gasps as I was breathing faster.

 

"We have un-killed you. Given you life again. You should be thanking us for saving your condemned soul." I heard Julie reply.

 

"Why?!" I felt myself scream, which had immediately hurt more then anything else about this living again thing. "I don't want to live, it hurts to live, let me be dead and happy," I cried. I really cried. I felt the tears flow down my face, and I touched them with my fingers. As I looked at the clear droplet tears on my fingers, I knew I was alive and there was nothing I could do about it now. They changed me back, though I will never know how, but they brought me back to life.

 

"You could never be truly happy in that life, Sara! We did you a favor." Chelsea said through her own tears. I looked around the room I was in as my eyes focused and cleared. It was a small room with no furniture except the bed I lay on, and nothing decorated the blank white walls. Matt, Julie, and Chelsea stood by my bedside.

 

"We have been working for the past thousand years to save you. Don't be mad at us, we wanted your happiness and this is the only way you could be happy!" Julie said, now crying too.

 

"We thought this was what you would have wanted us to do if you were still alive. You told us once a long time ago that you wanted us to save you. So we did." Matt said solemnly.

 

"That was back then, this is now. I was happy as a vampire! I had friends, a lover, and home! And you just took it all away from me! You made me mortal, ugly, something destined to hurt and to die! How could you do this to me?! How could you make me remember everything I suffered!" I screamed at them, despite the pain it caused me.

 

"Because we love you. Because I made them help me. Because I couldn't stand the fact that you loved that blood-sucking creature! You promised to love me, to never hurt yourself; but you went and died and fell in love with the damned beast that did it to you! How could you do that to me?" Gary asked, entering the room from a door I hadn't noticed.

 

"You left me...I told you if you ever left me I would die. And so I died! I died and found love with someone who would never leave me, because when he tells me he loves me he means it! We have been together for over a thousand years; we have been together, and happy, and the strongest so no one can ever separate us. You were the ones who abandoned me! You who hurt me, made me die! You cannot call me the betrayer for your mistakes!" I cried. Gary just walked over to me and put his arms around me. After so much time he still remembered what to do, still remembered how to take care of me. He still loved me and I knew I still loved him.

 

"You replaced me," he whispered for only me to hear.

 

"No... I tried to forget you, it hurt so much when you left me all alone in the dark." I whispered back.

 

"I will never leave you again, I will always be yours as I always have been. I was a stupid child back then, I should have never left you that night, I should have stayed the night at your home and been with you but I went home." He whispered as he stroked my back lovingly.

 

"I still love you, so much... But I love Daimynn too. He has been there for me for over a thousand years. He has taken care of me and protected me, he has even nearly gotten himself destroyed multiple times for me. I cannot just leave him like this." I said.

 

"You haven't left me. I followed you just in case, but it seems I followed too far behind." Daimynn said, entering the room. The others immediately turned on him, ready to fight. I sat there, scared and surprised.

 

"Daimynn," was all I could say before he appeared by my side.

 

"You really are a betrayer. I have no use for you if you would so quickly leave me for something only meant as a meal to us. You are coming home with me right now," He said furiously. He took a stake from inside his cloak and shoved it through my heart thinking only to paralyze me and bring me home unharmed. He hadn't known I was alive now.

 

I remember feeling the immense pain as I died this time, and I remember hearing everyone but Daimynn scream no. I think Daimynn was too surprised to realize that I was dying.

 

"Goodbye," I said through gurgled words as blood flowed into my mouth and down my face. A dagger through my heart for betraying both the ones I loved so dearly. I guess that was my punishment. Two deaths, two lives, and two final goodbyes.

 

Gary stroked my cheek and kissed my bloddied lips before pulling the stake from my heart and stabbing himself. He fell next to me, and in the last ounce of my strength I mouthed 'I love you more' to him, and he mouthed back 'but I love you most' and together, holding hands side by side, we died.

© 2008 ~Sorcha~


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
Added on July 7, 2008

Author

~Sorcha~
~Sorcha~

Kaiserslautern, Germany (deployment), WA



About
I like to write; these past few years I have just hit writer's block after block. There are so many things in my life I could write about, but I can still never seem to find the words for any of it. .. more..

Writing
Requerrence Requerrence

A Chapter by ~Sorcha~


The Masque The Masque

A Book by ~Sorcha~