Wallflower

Wallflower

A Story by sinclairrb
"

Writing Practice #4 Theme: dancing Focus: describing surroundings

"

Kelly crept timidly into the ballroom, searching desperately for a familiar face. She had wanted to attend this dance so badly, she had decided to go even when Cecilia bailed last minute. She was beginning to regret that decision.

She spotted an empty chair near the corner of the room and made a bee-line for it. Kelly swept her sky-blue satin dress under her as she sat down. She could just watch for a bit before joining in, right? A little bubble of anxiety developed in her gut; based on past experiences, there was a very good chance she would end up wasting the whole evening hiding in that corner.

Kelly gripped her hands tightly in her lap as she surveyed the scene. The ballroom was quite spacious, with a high, vaulted ceiling. A large, sparkling chandelier hung from the center, casting its warm light on the room. Several smaller lamps along the walls helped with the illumination; Kelly thought they looked like something you’d see in a historical drama.

Kelly turned her attention to the live orchestra, off to her right. It was a rather large group; the Texan Historical Society had really gone all out on this Valentine’s Day Ball. They were playing a lively waltz, and the harpist’s part was currently being featured. Kelly watched the brunette woman’s fingers dance lithely over the strings, mesmerized.

She turned her attention back in front of her and leaned forward a bit. She should probably force herself to get up and dance soon, before it was too late. Several young couples swung around the floor, almost in unison. Kelly spotted an older couple as well, their white reflecting the light from the chandelier. They were keeping up with all the youths, which Kelly found impressive. Looking more closely at the crowded dance floor, she saw that some girls were dancing together, their pink and red and yellow and purple dresses swirling around them as they spun. Kelly thought that they must look like flowers or fireworks from above. Perhaps they had attended the dance without male partners, like she had. Or maybe the boys were simply sitting out this dance, she thought, looking to her left.

All along the wall, chairs had been lined up for those who wanted to rest or chat. It was mostly men and boys who occupied those chairs, as well as a few couples and one very talkative circle of girls. No other solo girls, she noted nervously. She closed her eyes, trying to suppress the anxiety and disappointment that welled up within her. The music and the voices and the dresses swishing and the shoes clicking all blended together as a lump rose in her throat.

“Excuse me?”

A tenor voice startled her out of her misery. She opened her eyes to see a handsome young man looking down at her. Icy blue eyes gazed out from under dark brown hair that had been gelled back.

“Uh…yes?” she stuttered.

“Would you possibly like to dance? With me?” He reached out his hand tentatively.

Kelly beamed. “I would absolutely love to,” she said as she placed her hand in his.

© 2019 sinclairrb


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

54 Views
Added on December 30, 2018
Last Updated on January 1, 2019

Author

sinclairrb
sinclairrb

CO



Writing
UNTITLED UNTITLED

A Book by sinclairrb


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by sinclairrb


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by sinclairrb