The Ferris Wheel Fatality, Part 1

The Ferris Wheel Fatality, Part 1

A Story by sinclairrb
"

Writing Practice #6 Theme: two people seeing each other for the first time Focus: mystery

"

Carnival music filled the air as the cheerful crowd milled around the fairgrounds, making their way to the various rides and attractions. Neon lights lit up the night as vendors handed out cotton candy and hot dogs, and booth keepers called out to passers-by, inviting them to try their hand at winning a prize. A Ferris wheel towered above it all, little flashing lights displaying firework-like patterns on its surface. The ride slowed and stopped as a new round of passengers started boarding while the previous round disembarked. When car #4 came to rest on the platform, the ride operator let out a piercing shriek that blended with the screams that emitted from the nearby Orbiter. A man sat in the car, slumped over and unmoving. His empty eyes and slack jaw made it very clear: he was dead.

 

She ducked under the police tape and approached the nearest officer.

“Who’s in charge here?”

The young cop pointed her toward the large, balding man a couple feet away, then turned his attention back to photographing the scene. She nodded her thanks and strode over to policeman, who appeared to be in the midst of delegating tasks to two newly-arrived officers. As they turned and walked off, the officer in charge noticed her presence and turned to face her. She stuck her hand out.

“Detective Nicole Turner, LPD. I’ve been assigned this case.”

He shook her hand firmly. “Sergeant Ernest Garcia. Looking forward to working with you. Let me catch you up on the facts,” he said, his voice gruff.

“Please do.” She looked around the crime scene as he talked.

“Victim is a white male, mid-fifties. ID in his wallet says his name’s Russell Parker. Body was found in the gondola at 8:46 pm by the ride operator. Scene isn’t exactly how it was when the body was found, since they had to send it back ‘round to evacuate all the passengers, but it’s as close to being uncontaminated as possible…”

A dark shape just outside the police tape caught Nicole’s attention as she scanned her surroundings. A tall, dark-haired man stood there silently, watching the investigators. He turned slightly as she observed him, and their eyes met. He abruptly spun and walked away with quick, long strides.

“Just a second, Sergeant.” She left the officer mid-sentence and pursued the fleeing figure.

“Excuse me, sir!” she called out. The man didn’t look back, so she picked up her pace.

He rounded a corner and she raced after. She stopped short when she cleared the wall; he was nowhere in sight.

A pair of muscular arms emerged from a darkened doorway to grab her from behind. One of the hands moved to cover her mouth as she reflexively struggled and attempted to call out. A husky voice whispered into her ear.

“Stop struggling, I’m not going to hurt you. I need your help.”

© 2019 sinclairrb


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on December 31, 2018
Last Updated on January 3, 2019
Tags: mystery, crime, female lead, female detective, carnival, ferris wheel

Author

sinclairrb
sinclairrb

CO



Writing
UNTITLED UNTITLED

A Book by sinclairrb


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by sinclairrb


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by sinclairrb