Potty Training.

Potty Training.

A Story by skerns

I had read the books, I had done the research.  I made charts.  I scoured all of the mommy blogs.  We picked out underwear and got a froggy training potty.  It was time to potty train my 2 year old son, Vaughan.
I was ready.
All that went down the toilet the first day of summer vacation.
We got out of bed and went straight to the potty.  Nothing.  That's ok! Let's put on your new underwear!  Before I could even walk out of the room, I heard, "Mama!"  I turned around and saw my two year old standing in a puddle.  Stay calm, I told myself.  It's the first day.  
"Remember Vaughan, if you go on the potty, we will put a sticker on your chart!"
I take off his underwear and try the no clothes approach I read about on another blog.  You know, if he has to go, nothing stopping him.  Just him and the potty!  He goes to his playroom.  I bleach the floor and start a load of laundry with the freshly soiled clothes.  I check on Vaughan in the other room.  As I enter, a sell came upon me.  I look around and see that my son left a gift for me.  On top of his brand new wooden plane.  This meant he literally had to put effort into squatting 3 feet from his froggy potty. 
More bleach.  My house had never been cleaner.  
I tried this for days.  I was frustrated.  Vaughan was frustrated.  My house was a constant battle between a litter box and a sterile hospital room.  Turns out, I was the one who was ready, but he wasn't.  He entered his 2 year old class that fall wearing diapers. When he left he was wearing underwear.  He had a supportive teacher.  He watched the older kids go potty.  He started seeing himself as a big boy. 
He was ready.  

© 2018 skerns


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

57 Views
Added on June 18, 2018
Last Updated on June 18, 2018
Tags: #LRWP2018

Author

skerns
skerns

Writing
Anxiety Anxiety

A Poem by skerns


Jean Arabelle Jean Arabelle

A Story by skerns