Stolen glance.

Stolen glance.

A Story by tranquil_sky

Today I saw you on a bus. Or I thought I did.

I catch a glimpse of a profile ahead of me and despite the fact that its only for a second and I haven’t thought about you for months, I find myself taking a second, third, fourth look.

I know it can’t be you; I know you’re not here anymore and would have no reason to be taking public transportation if you were. I can’t stop stealing looks, comparing this man with my memory of you which had faded with time and disuse.

Was your hair that curly, that blonde? I can’t see his eyes clearly, but I’m guessing they’re not the same green. His smile wouldn’t light up the room the way yours did, and his laugh probably wouldn’t make my heart swell.

I know it’s not you and I’ve lived perfectly fine without you all this time, but somehow this stranger in the bus has brought back memories that I didn’t think would make me feel this way.

I try to peel my eyes away from him and I wonder if you ever see me in places that I’m not too.

© 2016 tranquil_sky


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A thoughtful and moving read; sad too. I enjoyed such bittersweet feelings in so few words.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Thoughtful writing. Some suggestions:

- Try to stay in the same tense, i.e. If you write in the past tense, stay there. (Second paragraph "caught" instead of "catch" etc)
- how about a punchline? Millions of short stories are out there, and the ones we remember are those making us think.....can you think of something that could give this memory a "bite"?



Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 26, 2016
Last Updated on September 26, 2016
Tags: love, sad, pain, mystery, romance

Author

tranquil_sky
tranquil_sky

nelspruit, South Africa



About
hi everybody, I'm an 18 year old living in South Africa. I'm very laid back. Music and writing are my escapes. I would really appreciate your thoughts on my pieces. :) more..

Writing
Don't. Don't.

A Story by tranquil_sky