Christmas Lights

Christmas Lights

A Poem by slacy2019
"

A poem about loss and coming to terms with it.

"

The Christmas wasn’t over yet. I didn’t really feel like it had begun at all though really. 

The temperature dropped to indicate that something was coming, goose-bumps erupting on skin, runny noses and ice cold ears and toes. 

The breath becoming a visible reminder to wrap up against the violent winter chill. 


Town was covered in twinkling Christmas lights like stars straight after kids stopped trick-or-treating for Halloween and Christmas gifts were a permanent glittery fixture in every shop window. 

But even then, the festive feeling did not touch me. 

It’s probably because of you. It is because of you. 

Because I miss you so much. 

My everything that I thought I had and would always have

Taken away far too soon leaving my winter heart broken. 


The Christmas tree in our bay towered over me, casting a shadow that reminded me of you when I was by your side. 

The lights gleamed, and the baubles sparkled and shone but the room was dark with no Christmas spirit except that hope that I could feel your spirit close to me. 


I smile, listen to the music, drink the drinks more and more than before and it makes me miss you more and more as I sing silent night. 

I wish he was here that’s all I can say but the words sound empty and weak. 

Less than an insignificant breath or whisper to how utterly consumed I am by the absence of you. 

How much I wish I could point at you, shout your name DAD and have you answer, or not answer 

Depending on whether you sensed the tone of my call as irrelevant or that I wanted something. 

But I always wanted something and I realise now that it was you. 

It is you. 

Dad. 


The writing is hard. 

I blame it on the fact that I don’t have a desk or that I don’t know what to say but I do know what to say, it’s in my heart that is aching to scream out and it’s clouding every imagination I own

Fogging my brain with memories of you instead of fake creative dream worlds I wish to push out onto paper. 

I write this to get it off my chest to get it off my heart and out before I shout and scream before I stop. 

I get this off my chest to help me begin the new year clearly where memories of you can dance in my mind and not fill me with pain and longing. 

I write this because I love you from a part of my heart I didn’t know I had before I lost you. 

Your hat, your car, your smile, your laugh. 

It will never be Christmas without you.

© 2019 slacy2019


Author's Note

slacy2019
To be honest, I've not written a poem since school. This sort of just tumbled out of me and I think it must have needed to come out. I don't remember whether the punctuation and grammar is correct or anything. Any feedback is welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

62 Views
Added on January 2, 2019
Last Updated on January 2, 2019
Tags: poems, loss, death, grief, dad, father, bereavement

Author

slacy2019
slacy2019

United Kingdom



About
I've always loved writing and used to a lot. I've decided that this is the year to get back into it and figured that a website like this might help me get started. more..