Echoes

Echoes

A Poem by S.L.D.T.S

Gentle brushes of the tide, 
As it urges you to hide.
Hold on tight, 
With all of your might, 
To the broken shell pieces, as the water ripple increases. 
Quicker and stronger it runs,
Finally covering the sun.
Slowly does it climb, 
Go, before you are out of time!
In the blink of an eye, 
No longer can you hold in your cries.
~S.L.D.T.S

© 2022 S.L.D.T.S


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

• Gentle brushes of the tide,
As it urges you to hide.

Here, you’re focused on rhyming, and because you are, you're bending the line to accommodate that rhyme, and losing meaning because you do. After all, the incoming tide might urge us to move or get wet, but It’s never made me want to hide. And since I can't know your intent for how I should take the words, I have only what they suggest to me, based on my life experience.

Perhaps you have a specific meaning the reader is expected to take, but how can they know that unless you provide context before, or as the line is read?

• Hold on tight,
With all of your might,

As George Orwell put it: “Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.” But that aside, the reader will be asking, and expecting an answer to: “Hold tight to what? Unfortunately...

• To the broken shell pieces,
as the water ripple increases.

Why would someone want to hold tightly to the broken shell of an unknown creature? And why does rippling water make that necessary, or desirable?

My point is that you’re thinking in terms of rhyming, but need to focus on expressing the thought in a way that will cause the reader to react emotionally. Rhyming is only an accent, and must never be the focus of poetry. Anyone can rhyme. But not everyone can stir the emotions of the reader, which is the entire purpose of poetry. Read “Siren Song” by Margaret Atwood. It has no rhyme, but still, it has power, and can set you thinking.
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/poems/32778/siren-song

Then read, The Cremation of Sam McGee. It has rhyming so powerful that you’ll find yourself rocking to the beat of it as you read, and laugh at the ending.
https://www.shmoop.com/cremation-sam-mcgee/poem-text.html

Both are examples of how poetry can move you emotionally, make you care, and feel.

And if that makes sense, download Mary Oliver’s, A Poetry Handbook. It will show you how to give your words wings.
https://yes-pdf.com/book/1596

And you might explain why Arizona moved from the continental USA to some islands in the Pacific. It must have been a surprise to the residents.


Posted 1 Year Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
1 Review
Added on October 19, 2022
Last Updated on October 19, 2022
Tags: drowning, dark, sldtspoetry, gentle

Author

S.L.D.T.S
S.L.D.T.S

AZ, United States Minor Outlying Islands



About
I am a broken old soul trying to get through life, helping people through poetry and short stories while helping myself heal. Most of my poems are dark but all contain a story. All work is original. more..