Umbrella Chronicles

Umbrella Chronicles

A Story by VRAlibazah
"

A girl and her little sister has an unusual visit by a man who carries an umbrella at all times who turned out to be a malevolent faerie who just wants to steal the girl's little sister away.

"

   I opened up my eyes and wiped off the eye crusts on my eye. While that, the rays of sunlight shone on my soft cheeks which wrinkled as I smiled and said, "Hello." to everything around me. I sat up and yawned, spreading my arms to either side. I felt so happy because it was Saturday that day, which means an entire day of relaxation! I stood up and skipped to the other side of the room toward the mirror beside the dresser. And I saw a pretty ugly girl who had a slouch in the mirror, and giggled because it was me. I don't now why, but being ugly is quite an advantage for me, which means I wouldn't have to wear make-up and style my hair almost 2/3 of my lifetime. But not caring of beauty isn't a trait in girls; I still brush my hair every morning. As I was brushing as usual, I heard someone knock on my door.

   "It's OK, May, you can come in," I said, letting my little sister, May, in. May was very different from me, she had golden hair and a smile that could drive any boy out of their minds. Her body was slender yet chubby at some parts, preferably the fingers, which were very stubby. Her pinky looked like it was her thumb.

   "Hey, June, when are we gonna go walk in the park?" she asked. For a girl her age (7), she's quite grown up unlike myself. She knows constantly about the going-ons around her and cares very much for her doll collection. Though she was the star of her school, she never had any friends because her shell may be beautiful, but her insides were quite disturbing. She collects roadkill and fancies them up into dollies, which became her doll collection. I don't know why our mother lets her do this, but probably because mother was too busy handling her solitary lifestyle away from her ex-husband, who keeps stalking her. We usually help her out by throwing rocks at him when he peeks through the windows of our house.

   I smiled, turned around and looked at her sparkly face, and said, "Right after I take a shower, OK, hun?"

   "OK..." she said in a slow mellow tone. I know she hates waiting, but when I've got to take a shower, I must take a shower. "When you shower, you take up two hours, Ju," she complained.

   I brought our conversation outside to the hall, where the bathroom door was beside my room's door. "Well, sorry, hun, but what a girl's gotta do is what a girl's gotta do, or was it what a man's gotta do? Whatever." I walked into the bathroom with a towel and a folded bathrobe.

   "I'll wait by the kitchen." said May. She walked silently toward the kitchen, making me concerned if she grabs a knife and shreds the curtains like most of her immature friends do when they wanted attention, but then I couldn't see her anymore because suddenly all I saw was the white linoleum coating of the bathroom door. I was now in the bathroom without my knowing, with the bathtub's faucet running with hot water. I undressed behind a paper partition, which strangely kept dry in a moist environment like the bathroom. I looked at the digital clock placed on top of the bathroom, which read '11:58' Then I dipped one foot into the water-filled bathtub with the faucet closed, but I instantly pulled the one foot out of the water because it was too cold. I ponder why, before losing my state of consciousness again. All I remember is forcing myself to bathe in the cold water, after that then I don't quite remember anything at all. When I do realise my surroundings, which was a bathtub filled with cold water and frostbitten limbs, I ejected myself out of the bathtub like a raccoon on high, and took the bathrobe and wore it. I grasped and turned the glass doorknob, but the door wouldn't budge, so the only way to get out was to kick the door down. When I did kick the door down, and ran downstairs, I had a bad feeling that I shouldn't've let May inside the kitchen alone. My heartbeat raced behind me, I was running down the stairs like a madwoman. Since I haven't dried myself, the steps became slippery and so, I slipped and fell down the stairs. For a normal person, I would've broken my neck, but not wanting to see my sister dead or kidnapped, I snarled and jumped back up. I dashed across the carpet toward the doorway to a corridor leading to the kitchen; it was dark although the time was 12:00, since it must've taken me two minutes to get out of the mess.

   "May?" I called, but my voice echoed in the corridor beyond the doorway. "May?! Let her go, whoever is there!" I tried to sound commanding, but end up like whining instead. As walked down the dark corridor with a lit candle on a candelabra, which I took from the table beside the doorway to the kitchen, I heard a faint scream from the kitchen. "May!" I screamed and I ran to the kitchen, dropping the candle. I felt my heart banging on my ribs, trying to jump out of my chest, as I ran blindly through the darkness. I saw the light coming out from the kitchen, but it was still far away. I didn't remember the corridor being this long, or was it just my imagination? I don't care. When I entered the kitchen, I was shocked. A man held an umbrella at my sister's throat, threatening to kill her if I step closer. "Let her go!"

   "No," he said, his voice sounded gruff. I thought it was our father, but he looked nothing like him. His eyes were burning red, a brown hat on his oval head, a yellow coat he wore. His nose was pudgy and red, and he wore glasses thick as my finger.

   My sister looked at me with her watery eyes, sobbing already, though tears haven't run down her cheeks yet.

   "If you dare to attack me, I swear to kill her now!" said the man, drawing the umbrella's sharp tip nearer to my sister's short young neck.

   "I said, 'Let her go'." I commanded, going one step nearer. But as soon as I stepped nearer, the umbrella's tip went nearer to her neck, ready to puncture my sister's jugular veins. "One last time, let her go," I said.

   A moment of suspenseful silence finally made my sister cry. When she cried, the man yelled in her ear, "SHUT UP!!" taking his eyes off of me for a second. I took my chances at that second to grab a kitchen knife lying on top of a kitchen island beside me. Then I rushed to the man with the umbrella to stab his hand holding the umbrella, but instead, he somehow sensed I was running up to him, and he shifted his umbrella to face me. He opened it when I got very close, and a jet of purple light shot me from the opened umbrella, throwing me back to the wall. I lay unconscious as my head hit the wall. I felt I was the greatest failure on earth for losing my sister to a deranged madman who kills people with an umbrella. When I regained my consciousness, the man and my sister was nowhere to be found. I stood up and searched everywhere in the house for them, even for footprints, but found none. Eventually, I kneeled down in front of my sister's portrait.

   As I cried, I thought of the reason why the man would kidnap my sister. I grabbed the portrait, I called, "Sister." then everything faded to black as all the lights died away, so as my hope to find my sister and bring her back from the man.

© 2010 VRAlibazah


Author's Note

VRAlibazah
Sorry for the abrupt ending; it was intentional for, if approved, a sequel! And yes, I know the title's a kind of silly, but this story is meant to be nonsensical, but not too nonsensical to it can fit into the fantasy genre.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
Added on December 31, 2009
Last Updated on January 3, 2010

Author

VRAlibazah
VRAlibazah

Bekasi, Indonesia



About
Likes: Art Nouveau, fantasy, fiction, dark humor, gothic literature, comedy, urban legends, etc. Dislikes: Erotica, supernatural & occult. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by VRAlibazah