eyelids

eyelids

A Stage Play by slowpez
"

beginning

"

Name: (directed at audience) The window wipers,…that’s how I thought about the eyelids today.  They have a dignity about them, they contain a certain cognition.  Flaps of skin,… retractable…wipers.  But they have a way about them, of letting the self and soul know that something is worth remembering, or is worthy of expressed deprecation.  I tried to make a note of it like Boris in The Sea Gull.  I didn’t get a chance to write it down, but I remembered…  They get the bum rap of being a reflexive movement for cleaning, the eternal blink, when I heard that I was stoned and that is the only time I realized what death would be like.

They say that it’s not under our control, but something always struck me as false about that.  The heart…now that is not under our control, sure we can relax and breath in deeply for a period to calm it or take a flight of stairs at top speed to have some effect on it’s rhythm.  But the eyelids, I always knew that they had a higher purpose, but what was I to do or say.  Reach my hand out in biology class as a sophomore and say, “Wait a minute sir, but I think that the eyelids have a whole other meaning to them, yes they respond reflexively but they also carry the soul’s message”.  They are beautiful; they are our own personal butterflies, and Venus fly traps.  They have their own mind half of the time, and see everything we don’t see.  The cosmos is only at our beckon call because of them.  At their opening they serve as the curtains for the show of life.  Life that so many hate, and forget to hate.  They decide when we shed our first tear.  They hold eyeliner and mascara and are the perfect canvas for these as that is where the eye is drawn, to another’s eye.

            But yes, the window wipers.  An unwanted thought is presented in the mind and our bodies’ first decision of disagreement is to shut the lids, disappointment is not in the eyes first, but the lids. 

 

© 2008 slowpez


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
Added on April 24, 2008
Last Updated on April 24, 2008

Author

slowpez
slowpez

San Diego, CA



About
... more..

Writing
untitled untitled

A Poem by slowpez


Sebastopol Sebastopol

A Story by slowpez