Blood Moon

Blood Moon

A Story by Alice
"

The forest is deep, dark, and full of mysteries that are unfathomable to Anne’s eyes. The world to her is black and white, completely knowing of what the world holds.

"

     Chapter One

 

                A small village lay near the peaks of a tall thick forest. People knew to stay clear from the forest. It always snowed in the peaks of this faint village, unknown by many this village carried their safety. This village keeps the forest at bay. The village people know of the things that terrorize eat our flesh. The streets are usually empty except when the farmers travel through the manmade paths, safe from the unknown magic. People wait for the traders, to receive something from the outside world. People rejoice when they see them come home, safe and sound.

                The village is in a way large and bold, but tattered and dirty. The houses are old and slightly poor, the rich lived in tall slanted houses that seemed to glow in comparison to the others. The people around this village are dry and cruel. But there is one family that is different. They’re the healers of the village. An old woman named Wendy Haymen and a small young girl named Anne lives in the smallest hut of the village. They were also the outcast of the small minded village. Especially young Anne,

                People don’t just fear the care of the healer Wendy, but they also fear Anne who is the one who works for the elder. She is not related to the old woman in any way, she was found on her old ugly porch in a thin wool blanket. People found this girl a nuisance and did not want her in their village, they thought of her as cursed. The nice old woman Wendy of course obliged to take care of the small little girl. Wendy was too kind people said, but the reason she was so kind to young Anne was  that she’d have to take her place as the healer one day, to be her heir.

                As Anne grew older she found herself more curious about the ways of healing and why the people were so afraid of the nature that saved them every day. Anne is different from the people that fear what’s outside of the forest walls. Anne loves the smell of the outside, she loves Wendy’s smile when Anne receives the herbs from the forest. Anne knows of Wendy’s old age and gratefully took over the business, for she had a life debt to this old woman. People roam the streets sick and full of fear, why did they believe in such foolery? Anne thought this every day, for she saw no goblins or wicked witches or even a small fairy in the ‘cursed’ forest.

                Wendy cared deeply for the young girl, but feared for her safety. Yes, even Wendy found the forest to hold danger. But she did not announce her fears as boldly as the village did, for she knew if her fears came true, she would not know what to do with herself. Her caring and age has gotten the best of Wendy, she’s barely able to teach Wendy without taking a break every few minutes, luckily for her Anne was a very smart girl. She always wanted to know the answer, she never believed in the Fairytales that Wendy tried to shove in her throat when she was merely six years old. Anne comes down all to rationality, not even visiting the small church every Sunday was also something little Anne strongly believed in.

                The village did not take kindly to Anne’s strong opinions, for she did not shy away from the awful taunting. She thought of the town as weak and fearful of nothing but their imagination. Anne believed in nothing but proof, and her strong belief only cast a darker shadow on her new career as the healer, for she was known as the cursed child of the forest. Anne only feared this saying for Wendy’s health, since she worried too much about Anne’s social life. Anne finds herself most happy away from the village. She finds the forest a sacred place. A place she can smile.

                The forest is deep, dark, and full of mysteries that are unfathomable to Anne’s eyes. The world to her is black and white, completely knowing of what the world holds. But when the town finally breaks down into complete fear when one of the traders come back fully shredded into pieces with large bite marks on his body. Anne finds her curiosity getting the better of her. She always wants to know the truth. But what happens when the truth tramples over all of the facts she’s lived for. Wendy knows something dark and the village seemed to be right all along. The forest is filled with untold dangers.

 

                Wendy sat near the musky windowsill as she opened the window to let the herby odor out of the small poor tattered cottage. I put down the bowls of smashed herbs on the stained crooked wooden table. A woman sat on a nearby chair near the aroma that helped her ongoing head strains disappear. The woman who has come ongoing with awful head strains needs the herbs’ aroma every day. Wendy cracked her back and gave out a small giggle, her graying blond curls bounced with joy. Wendy gently put her arm around the woman, the woman’s crying faded into the warmth of Wendy. Wendy sat up straight once more, gliding towards the door.

                Her face crinkled downwards as she looked out towards the village. People walked by like passing zombies, only trying to get through the day with their life. Their glares struck a chord in Wendy that I could never understand. What people thought of me was their opinion. I didn’t care much for people. I just cared for Wendy’s health, and it seemed she was starting to slowly piece by piece give me her position. As if she knew she was going to die soon. She cracked her knuckles as she hummed a strange tune, her blue ragged dress seem more tattered than usual. Wendy smiled as she put over her shoulders her newly knitted shawl that I made her last Christmas. I smiled as I looked down at my own birthday present, the red cloak that Wendy specially made for me. The cloak felt soft underneath my pale callused fingers.

                I passed the pained woman with reaching hands for Wendy, Wendy smiled. My arms wrapped around her arm as we both opened the door to the open world. I felt a cold shiver ripple over my skin, fear leaked through my clothes like a raging fire. I kept my head straight as I felt Wendy sigh in annoyance.

                “When will these people stop treating us like a bunch of demon spawns?” Wendy asked in her husky rattled voice. I smile down at her and give my eyes a roll, like that will ever happen. A life where people would believe in fairy tales is a day where the sun will stop burning. “You didn’t have to come with me you know’,” Wendy piped up, laying her hand over her wool basket. As we walked forward through the hay path we started to go deeper into the merchant area. People looked old ragged, almost poisonous.

                Men spat at the ground holding out their goods towards the towns people. I could see children skipping around playfully, their parents looking sullen as usual. Life will soon hit those kids, and they’ll have the same mirror reflection as the adults. My long brown hair tug at the hem of my red cloak, I ignored it as I held tighter to Wendy, who ignored me completely with her humming. Thieves spread throughout the village as I saw peeks of people stealing small gems, or even a simple apple. I felt pity for our decaying village, the place was decaying before our eyes, even the people were losing their own souls.

                “Oh look, it’s that woman,” People whispered among themselves full of hatred and lust for gossip. “And she even brought that cursed girl, little red riding hood.”

                A name that cracked my soul into bits, a part of me screams for revenge as that name is said by cruel people. The name is the meaning of the legendary blood moon, and so happens to match my red cloak. It’s as if Wendy thought it would match me, since I was found on her door step on the ‘blood moon’. But I’m not a believer of these wretched myths. Wendy always seemed to go silent when I asked her of her beliefs, or even of the myths, she seemed to shy away from them. But I’ve always wondered, what would it be like if these stories were true? If I entered a magical forest, filled with mythical beast, would we all parish? Or would we better off if we all truly knew there was something magical in the world.

                Dark mist hovered over the town like a thick blanket, the smell of dew hit my nose. I could feel the forest winds echo through the haunting town, the town fell silent. These sorts of days are the worst for the ignorant village people. Finding this as a bad omen, the forest seems to get darker and more mysterious when the weather changes. People start to scramble to their homes, merchants swiftly close their shops. Wendy sighs in annoyance as a man took the fruit basket she was admiring into a stuffed box. I look down at Wendy and shrug.

                “You know, sometimes I wish I could go out at the shops peacefully once in my life. I swear,” Wendy muttered as she chuckled at herself, I giggle as well. I tug at my cloak to keep the warmth, but my ragged unkempt dress did not help. I tugged at the fabric in annoyance, Wendy giggled once again at Anne’s fumbling fingers. “Your so clumsy, not even you can put on a dress right. You are most definitely not a woman.” Wendy laughed as she wobbled back towards the small hut we lived in. We were barely able to buy food before the village people could cower away into their homes. I spat on the ground agitated by Wendy’s remark.

                “I’m more womanly than you!” I yelled back, fumbling forward trying to keep up with the old woman. The hill slanted upwards as so did the town, our cottage was separated from the town. Perfect to be able to go out into the woods to catch some herbs, but people find it eerie and frightening.

                I sighed as I trudged with Wendy, holding her upwards. The cottage seemed peaceful to my eyes, almost like a gingerbread house, full of warmth. I could almost smell the rosemary and oak leaves surround the front door. The door was patched and beaten, even stained by the cold rain. I find myself opening the door for Wendy she gently nods as she walks past me and into the small room. The fire pit glowed in the dark unkempt room. One window lay near the fire, only grey sunlight pierced through the room. I could smell the rain form in the clouds, Wendy smiled at me with a knowing look. I knew what she wanted I smiled back with excitement reaching my brown dull eyes. She slowly put in another log into the burning fire, keeping the small hut warm for the cold night.

                “I want you to go out into the forest to get some herbs. The herbs love this sort of weather.” Wendy announce, grumbling as she lay on the wool cot ready for sleep. I knew my job was only going to be harder as she got older, unable to do less and less. The smell of the trees hit my memories, the way the moist dirt felt under my feet. And the sounds of the animals made me smile in bliss. I hurriedly grabbed my basket and newly made brown shoes that felt warm and soft under my toes. I opened the door to be pelt with a coat of cold rain.

                “I’ll be back with our most favored herbs Wendy!” I yelled out, closing the door behind me I looked upon the empty dark town. Everything was drenched and dark no one seemed to live here. The forest lay near our cottage, I looked out towards the forest, the trees moaned out as the winds hurdled towards them. I ran towards the forest, slipping through the wet paths. I could hear the animals inside the forest begging for cover as the trees moaned louder. I entered the forest, my feet scrambling to find my footing as I stumbled over the mud and branches.

                The forest seemed oddly warm, and even dry I looked up towards the sky to see the trees covering us from the rain. I smiled as I touched a tree with my pale cold hands as I thanked it for its kindness. The forest seemed to shield me from the awful village, shielding me away from the hatred. I smelled the forest oak bark and warm atmosphere, the scent made me feel at home. I walked past the dark green trees, trying to find the place I’ve always loved. The meadow, I walked past the gravel hard dirt to find myself climbing hills of grass. I fell to my feet to find myself back where I’ve always dreamed of being. The meadow lay dark and flat, the grass was long and wet, small flower poked out of the ground, the color of pure white. Trees twisted and turned inside the meadow, small animals hid inside the meadow.

                I kneeled before the meadow, picking up the lily flowers and the dew from the trees. The green leaves slapped in the air making water spill on my face repeatedly. I could smell the fresh rain, I sighed in pleasure as I sat the wet grass. I laugh out loud and I hear thunder rumble the village with its power. I could hear the village peoples’ screams, their fear riveted the forest. With a sudden startle I could hear the wolves howl, the rain stop and all that is left is the fog. I sat alone humming Wendy’s odd tune, my lullaby. The wolves howled back, I laughed at the thought they were humming back at me. I howled back laughing as I did I fell backwards on the wet dark green grass and beautiful white lilies.

                I looked up at the now clear sky to see shinnying bright stars twinkle down at me. I clench the basket in my hands, remembering the time was almost up. And I’d have to return back to the cruel world.

                “Why are people so cruel?” I asked aloud as I laughed at myself, at the thought maybe the sky would answer my questions. Another loud howl echoed through forest like thunder itself, my skin grew goose bumps as the cold prickled my skin. I stood from my spot, looking towards the dense part of the forest. Trees grew thicker and hills became bigger as the forest went beyond the meadow. I’ve never ventured farther then from the meadow, a whole different world is out there. Someday I’ll venture out there, and create my own life.

                Another howl echoed through the meadow like a thrust of thunder. I shivered in fear as I clutched the basket to my side as I slipped my way towards the outer forest where lay my nearby village. The trees grew thicker as I slipped through the forest path, the rain made the forest grow larger. The people of the village could sense the growth of the forest, the strength of the nature that seemed to cause insanity. I fell to the floor as the branches tangled around my weak ankles.

                The trees became thicker before my eyes. I looked up towards the clouded sky to see my very nightmare. My eyes widened in fear at the description of the cursed forest, the beast that feast on people’s flesh on a blood moon. The world seemed to close in on me as I started to hyperventilate, my nightmares and warnings of the forest popped in my head like torchlight. I felt my skin start to sweat as the cold winds brush my bare naked skin, my red cloak covered my face.

                Suddenly a growl echoed through my very being, my head snapped towards the noise. A beast appeared in front of my eyes as if I was in a folk tale myself, I could hear Wendy’s stories rung in my ears about wild beast and beautiful princesses. The beast like wolf had night black hair that was tinted with a strange blue; the beast growled showing his blood stained white fangs that were larger than my own hands. Its large paws grew reclining claws that could cut through oak trees, the color of the claws were a simple lethal black. Blood stained its fur like a nice blanket, it cold emerald eyes grew daggers as it set its eyes on my form.

                My face grew pale as I looked down at my now twisted foot, I could feel the stupidity dawn on me. I clutched the basket of herbs for mental support as I slowly held myself against the oak tree. The beast’s hair stood up as it crouched towards me, baring it bloody fangs at me. I could feel tears sting my eyes, the thought of dying at the feet of a wolf made me think maybe the village was right. Maybe this beast was magic, maybe this forest is haunted. But no matter what, I felt that I belonged in the forest at the meadow then in that awful village. The beast howled once again maybe calling for his pack, I sat there frozen to my spot as I saw it slowly back away from me.

                And in a blink, it was gone.

© 2012 Alice


Author's Note

Alice
Sorry for the grammar mistakes, I haven't edited it yet! :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
Added on April 15, 2012
Last Updated on April 15, 2012
Tags: Romance Horror Werewolf Fantasy

Author

Alice
Alice

I'm lost in my own world, IL



About
I'm an adventuring writer who aspires to finish a edited story that people can enjoy. I love to write and I love to read, simple as that. But who knows, really? I'm an average girl looking to find som.. more..

Writing
In The Dirt In The Dirt

A Story by Alice


Amputation Amputation

A Poem by Alice


Unlovable Limbo Unlovable Limbo

A Story by Alice