Element magic

Element magic

A Story by Khushi

You called me ma’am?” I asked Mrs.Sharma my history teacher.
“Yes, I want you to put this up on the notice board.” she said handing me a piece of paper.
” Come and collect these notebooks after the break.” she added.
I nodded and was about to leave when a book on her desk caught my eye. ‘Element Magic by S.K. Chawla’ the
cover read. It looked very old with yellow pages and worn out pages.
On any other day I would have scoffed at the title but not after what I had witnessed. It had included fire, water and air; all the three being elements. My thoughts were racing as I left the staff room,I was recalling the previous day’s happenings.
My neighbor’s house was on fire. People were splashing water to douse the fire while we waited for the fire brigade. All the people in the house had been evacuated so to everyone’s relief, no one was in grave danger. I saw my neighbour’s kitten through the window. The little creature looked so scared. I was very fond of it and had a compassionate nature for animals. I asked many people to help the kitten but no one was willing to endanger their lives for a kitten. I thought that it was really unfair. That was when it happened. The fire began to descend on its own, the wind became as strong as in a storm and it was raining on the fire. All of this happening at once created confusion and fear amongst the crowd but not me. Somehow, I knew I had made it happen. The fire was doused and the kitten was safe. I looked at it then at the crowd and fainted. Due to weakness or fear. I don’t know.
Back to the present, I put up the notice and rushed to the computer lab. I googled but fount no mention of the book or its author. I knew searching ‘magic’ would be useless so I typed ‘Element Magic’ instead. I didn’t find anything useful or sensible after reading loads. It had been five minutes past the lunch break and I was going to be late for class. I went to the staff room to collect the notebooks. Unusually, it was empty. The teachers might have gone for a meeting or something. I reached Mrs. Sharma’s table and eyed the book. This book was my only source and answer to all questions.
I made a quick decision to miss my class and read. The book was divided into three sections- The history and guidelines, Beginners spells and Advanced spells. I hardly understood anything in the first section so I started reading thje beginner’s spells. I found things quite similar to what I had done and other completely different and interesting stuff.
I decided to do a spell which could join torn paper to test myself. I tore a piece of paper from a notebook and performed the spell. The book said that it was a basic spell so I hoped it would be easy. Indeed, it was no complex process as on TV. It just said “Concentrate to summon the element of earth to help you. Doing it in your mother tongue is the most effective.”
I did so and after a long period of concentration it happened. The paper was joined without a crease. I continued reading. I had read a page when Mrs.Sharma entered along with a few teachers. She saw me and the book, open. She reached me with a stern look. There was no point in lying.
“I was able to do a spell.” I told her, it sounded like a question. I hoped she had the answer to all my questions.
“You’ve missed a class I see. I don’t think you mind missing another.” she said.
she led me to a room used for storage and turned on the lights. I had thought she would be the one talking but I found myself narrating the previous day’s happenings.
Finally she began explaining things to me. ” You know about the five elements, the fifth one being sky. Why? Because earlier it was believed that no one reach the sky. But that’s not true, as you know. The fifth element is your soul or spirit. It is this soul which is the ‘sixth sense.’ Some people can reach the soul ant so they can control the other four elements. Only people with a pure heart and good intentions can reach the soul.”
I wanted to speak but remained silent so that she could continue.
She removed her lenses and I could see a thick silver ring around her eyes.
“Once you get these silver rings you cant stop using the magic. This is a problem because people might want you to misuse the magic. I have been escaping such people throughout my life. Dont let this happen to you. Forget everything.” She said stressing at the last two words.
Later that day, I was walking beside the lawn where the football team was practising. Tomorrow was the first match on the state level. Vishal was running behind the ball. He tripped and was about to fall. His position was such that if he fell his head would head the metal part of the goal. In that split second, I used a spell to grow the grass beneath his feat and wrap it around his legs, stopping his fall. The next second the grass went back to its previous state. All of it was so quick that anyone hardly noticed. I felt tired as if I had run miles. Vishal looked down at his feet to find nothing.
I spent the rest of the day in a daze. I reached the conclusion not to do magic for sure.
Then I woke up. I was confused if all of it was a dream or reality. It seemed too long for a dream. I washed my face, looked into the mirror and told myself, “Whatever it was just forget it.” That was when I saw the silver rings around my brown eyes.

© 2013 Khushi


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoyed this. It's told in a straightforward, simple style.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
1 Review
Added on December 31, 2013
Last Updated on December 31, 2013

Author

Khushi
Khushi

nagpur, India



About
I am a school going, fun loving teenager. As my name suggests, my aim in life is to make people happy :) I have joined writers cafe in the hope to get an audience for my work who will also be able to .. more..

Writing
Aranyani Aranyani

A Book by Khushi