The Drugs Do Work

The Drugs Do Work

A Story by Tyler James
"

Life is there to be lived, ignoring taboo and gaining knowledge

"

All four of us sit in the same room. It's an extension to the back of the house, made into a second living room, except messier and a little more comfortable. We have arranged the seats, two armchairs and a sofa into a makeshift triangle because it makes us feel closer together, like we are all in this as one. I can almost feel the ice coldness of the palms of their hands radiating towards me. Then again, it may just be my emotions playing tricks on me.
 

A huge black bookcase covers one wall. It is filled with empty beer cans and empty bottles of spirits like vodka and tequila along with other mind numbing 'makes you lose your inhibition' fluids.  We've each had two pills. We sit smiling at one another feeling the drugs affecting our bodies, running through our bloodstreams. It's been ten minutes since the last one, we talk with stutters and our teeth chatter as we bite down on them, the slang name for this is 'gurning.' It could really f**k up your teeth but it doesn't matter. Only the people in this room know what we are doing and we all love it, what we have taken what we have done, we love it. Nothing matters right now. We all love one another and everything around us, we feel close to everyone and this is the bond that binds us.

We are in a safe place, a safe house where we can enjoy it all without been interrupted by parents or any officers of the law who just might happen to be in the neighbourhood. We are inside my friends' house. He rents it from his mum who lives abroad. It's a big house, plenty of room, four bedrooms, and even an en-suite in one of them.

I stop thinking as I try to focus on my friend opposite through my dilated pupils, 'mydriasis' has kicked in. His black hair blurs my picture and his cheeks look to have sunk themselves in. He's smiling like one of my favourite old cartoon characters, the dog who grins and chuckles as he and his owner race other characters. I think it was my first taste of what hustling is. Either that or they were trying to take over the world, I can't remember clearly enough. They were supposed to be nasty but all the kids I knew loved them.

I strain my eyes to focus, I'm afraid of the light but I want it to happen. I strain force stare I want it to happen and it does. Thank god yes it happens. My eyes shake from side to side, unnatural and fast, everything in front of me blurs to the point of abstraction. It lasts only a few seconds but it's my favourite part of taking these pills.

The pills we have taken today are called 'Rolex's,' another name for ecstasy. All around the country people name them different things, E, pills, brownies, Mitsubishi's, Dolphins, XTC but here we call them Rolex's. The little off white coloured white pills with an imprint of a crown or hand type thing upon them, the two pound things that keep us awake all night and turn us back into what we once where, into gargling non cohesive happy little babies, into children who just want affection from the people around them, yet to be corrupted by society, playing stupid pointless games that mean everything and make us feel like we are floating, like we are angels, like nothing matters, yesterday or tomorrow, like nothing ever will matter ever again as we live for this moment and this night, as the drugs chase us to the edge of oblivion before starting the long haul back towards paranoia

© 2008 Tyler James


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love this, love it! Truth revealed in all its glory. You had me right with you and that is the one drug I have not tasted of. Though, my son and his friends relished in it. Had my son not been arrested the night of th Seattle murders he would have been at that exact house dead! Your first line is so profound. Paranoia. Seems many drugs lead to this end. I am glad you wrote this now please post it on myspace a big ol bulletin under my name if you wish. It all starts out great, then slowly and surely the great is not there as it was. Good topic great write.

Peace Roxy

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Tyler, a well written encounter and description of your evening under the influence and why you feel the need to take these drugs, your information seemed informative. I am not a drug user and so I cannot validate the information you have given, I can only tell you that what you put on the page was very convincing.
Tony

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Tyler, you have a strong story telling ability and I enjoy how vivid your writes are. With that said my friend. I also do not advocate hardcore drug use, especially talent like yours, of course the reality is out there, as young people indulge and search for some meaning. However, I do smoke cigarettes, I love women, and I do enjoy a drink now and then. I have been known to gamble in cards. It is a chance we take. I don't want to preach, yet don't lose your ability to imagine. Imagination to me, is everything. And with your talent you can take it further. Peace be with you.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Im not an advocate of drugs, I am a recovering addict, but I can understand what this is about.
Its rather descriptive in its shortness, and no, that's not a bad thing. It reminded me a bit of the guy in Rules Of Attraction....the guy that went to Europe....anyways.

You wrote this experience well. But I do hope that you know what ecstasy does to the body, and the brain.
And yes...you said it perfectly at the end...paranoia indeed.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

You write brilliantly, Tyler, and I do not say this lightly or simply to be polite. I have read your biography; therefore, I know that you are writing from personal experience, which always adds to the quality of a piece. You were there; you touched Rolex; you smelled the beer...and tasted it. It was your eyes that blurred. You write realistically because you 'are' for real. But not everyone can capture the tone or mood or the vivid images as you are able to do. Not everyone can write such a powerful conclusion as you do, and although the scenario is profoundly sad, your writing makes an impact. It's powerful.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

375 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 13, 2008

Author

Tyler James
Tyler James

Leeds, United Kingdom, United Kingdom



About
There are many reasons you shouldn't like me but most people do. I drink. I smoke. I gamble. I take drugs. I drink until I'm in so much of a stupor that I don't know where I am and then I do drugs t.. more..

Writing
One - Arrival One - Arrival

A Chapter by Tyler James


Two - Journey Two - Journey

A Chapter by Tyler James



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..