people with disabilities can learn things longer verson

people with disabilities can learn things longer verson

A Story by erika

People with disabilities can learn things.

I am writing this piece to spread awareness that people with special needs can learn and for people saying the r word (retard) is really painful for people with special needs and misleading to outside world.  I hope at the end of this I will give people insight on these special people and how the r word can hurtful. I am going leave a website address that will talk about stop the r word movement and how you pledge to stop saying the r word.

When I was growing up in grade school people did not know how to deal with my disabilities and in middle they all most made me miss a class trip. When I got into high school a kid I knew since pre school drop out high school because the work was too hard. Where I live there is a high school exit exam that makes it even hard for people with disabilities to graduate from high school. People with disability can learn and live life to its fullest If they have the services they need and as long they services have funds to keep on going.

Over the years I have overcome a lot of my disabilities. It took me a long time to learn how to read, write and speak. Now I can read more grown up books, write at a higher level and speak in a way people could understand me. Also it took me a long time to learn to walk and do things that could make me independent. Now I could walk and able to be more independent. I was also able to graduate from high school. Now I am in college trying to get AA and maybe a ba one of these days. Being in therapy help me grow, mature and better able to handle my self.

 I saw other people with disabilities learn and live too fullest
With all the help that they could get to rich that point in their life.  I have 4 friends that are living by them self. My friend Soraya has a super talent for art. Most of them were able to keep paying jobs.  My teammates on my team can show their talents in sports that they complete in.

    One thing that helps me when I was in school was being in special Ed. I felt at each level they are trying their best to help me. In middle school I had an aide that really push me and made me grown up. Also having extra time on tests, taking tests in other room, making the course load smaller and having a note taker really helped me out. Having extra help with pt, OT, st and help with PE really help me master the skills I need to go on   in higher grades.  I think being in special needs swimming class help me learn how to swimming .IN high school and after high school
Best buddies being on sports teams and therapy really help me grown as a person.

For 8 years I was a guest speaker at a K-to-8 school. I just talked about my disability and how I was able to overcome a lot of hard ships in my lifetime. I hoped that I was to help the kids change their idea about people with special needs I also see people with disabilities as people with special talents.

    Saying the R word is giving the impression that people with special needs cannot learn.  People would think that they are weird and it is not right to talk to them.  If people could just get to know these people then they would find that these people are special. I will end with my famous saying, think of people with special needs as gifts and open them up to see what’s inside.


Here is the website to stop the r word movement. www.r-word.org

© 2014 erika


Author's Note

erika
any reviews are welcome. Right now I am trying to get this published and I snet to many places.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I found this very uplifting and informative. You clearly have overcome your obstacles and matured into a fine young woman. And I agree that people do not give enough credit to those who have disabilities. My little brother was diagnosed with autism when he was 13 (they thought he had ADHD and Bipolar before that so he was on all the wrong medications) and he is nothing short of brilliant. What people need to understand is that those with disabilities are certainly capable of learning, it is just that much harder for them, and so we need to be sure that our communities provide the programs they need to succeed. Thank you for this, I really enjoyed the read.

Posted 9 Years Ago



I think your amazing and I thank you for sharing this important message.
Here is the website to stop the r word movement. www.r-word.org/I will check it out and share it on to facebook and twitter..
hugs♥ maria rose

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
2 Reviews
Added on March 31, 2014
Last Updated on March 31, 2014

Author

erika
erika

berkeley, CA



About
I really like to write for people > more..

Writing
summer summer

A Poem by erika