Breaking the Block

Breaking the Block

A Poem by J. V. Moffatt
"

Prose piece about the dreaded block

"
Everyone has their defining moments. They have moments where they find themselves lost in their own thoughts. I spent countless hours trying to explain how I felt but no words came out. I stared endlessly at the blank screen that taunted me.

"You're not a writer. Look at you, you poser."

Was I a poser? I wear flip flops everyday until it snows. I rarely edit my works because the first time is utterly brilliant. If I'm not under the influence of alcohol, I'm under the influence of caffeine. 

I use writing to expose and deal with my depression. If I need to feel something, I need to feel it through writing. How else would I know who I truly am?

"Some writer you are."

If I'm a poser, how would I know? How would I know how satisfying it feels to graffiti white paper? If I need writing to feel then why do I get blocked up?

The block. I stare at it for hours. I find excuses to keep feeding it. I just don't have time or I have so many other things to do.

I mean, I do. I do have many things to do. I do have to work. I do have to make an honest living. This artist can't be starving. I try to find a way to bring home that bacon but am I happy?

Can you imagine me not writing? Who would I be? I'd be empty. While I work my 9-5 (actually 9-6) the block sits in my path and gets bigger. He sits in my path and laughs at me. I mean, how dare he? Who does he think he is? I know who I am.

I'm not a writer. I'm the writer. Actually, I'm fluent in poetry. I'm lyrically gifted. I'm vocabulary enhanced. I flex my poetic license to make words that don't necessarily exist. I'm set here to amaze you.

I can get erotic. Do you hear that, block? I can get erotic.

"Gulp. Erotic?"

Do you feel uneasy, block? Notice how I don't capitalize your name. That's how common noun you are to me. If I don't write anything else, I can write just the way I think. Do you know how down right filthy my mind is? You don't do you?

"Can't we talk about this?"

We can "talk" about this. Then again, I've listened to you taunt me, tease me and laugh at me. Now you have to listen to me. I don't have to define myself for you.

"I define you. I'm always lurking. I'm always hovering. You're nothing without me. I'm the excuse you use when you don't write for awhile. What will your excuse be when I'm not here? That you lack drive and passion?"

No! I will never say that I lack drive. I will never say that I lack passion. I won't make excuses for it. There is no excuse for it. Of course I'm entitled to down time. However, whenever there is inspiration, I will be writing. I won't have you laughing at me. I won't have you hovering over me. I won't have you in my way. Now having said that, please kindly, get out of my way!

"I'll be back. You need me!"

With all due respect mister, no one needs Writer's Block!

© 2014 J. V. Moffatt


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
Added on February 6, 2014
Last Updated on February 6, 2014
Tags: creative process, writer's block