Red Resonance

Red Resonance

A Story by Soulsprite

My eyes felt sewn shut.  Red searing pain. Crying rage. Crying age.  I opened them to blinding light and petals. Red. White. Blood. Feathers. A single petal-less rose sat in the air. My heart pumped blood at a steadily lessening rate and all I could hear was the blood leaking from my body. It was so sad, the sound of the bodies dying song resonance.  Distantly I remembered this white plane of existence wasn’t where I was supposed to be.  There was a place, someplace where colors existed outside of red and white.  The distance seemed to keep trying to shatter my white plane. So comfortable, so serene.  The only sound was that of death’s enticing song calling me. No, it wasn’t the only sound, there’s something else.  Another body’s melody.  So erratic.  So pained.  It was asking me to fix it.  How could I fix something that is so far away?  

The Death sound was getting closer and louder, suddenly the calmness had become a mask.  I could hear an undertone of desperation coming from an imperturbable entity.  I focused on the distant one.  The notes sounded incomplete.  Like it was skipping over notes that should’ve been there.  I started humming the right notes for it.

See?  It’s supposed to sound more like this.  I tried conveying through my voice and suddenly I heard crying.  Not abstract this time.  Real people crying.  The whiteness unraveled towards me.  Faster and faster it seemed more like someone breaking puzzle pieces off a puzzle that was once whole.

The void swallowed the petals until it was just a small platform with me and the petal-less rose.  I was all alone now.  The death song was so faint.  That’s not true though.  The distant voice seemed to be softly singing right next to me. Above me. All around me.  I couldn’t seem to hear anything else, so I joined.  I sang until I felt my voice falter and suddenly,  I was crying too.  This lonely white circle seemed so lonely, and the rose was so sad, and the song was so beautiful.

I closed my eyes and then opened them to a face drowned in blue and red flashing lights.  I recognized the soul song belonged to this face and felt immediately safe.  

I closed my eyes and this time when I opened them I was back in my white circle.  Surrounded by oblivion on every side.  Pain jolted into my palm I opened my hand and in it was a small and fragile u rosebud.  The pain caused by the thorns on the stem.  This time when I closed my eyes,  I let them stay closed, and I let oblivion take me.

© 2015 Soulsprite


Author's Note

Soulsprite
Any constructive criticism would be appreciated. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

In the last paragraph, you have a typo: "a small and fragile u rosebud."

Other than that, the piece flowed well, and I enjoyed reading it. It was a little hard to follow in terms of imagery because we were dealing with such abstract concepts, but the important imagery was there.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 13, 2015
Last Updated on March 13, 2015
Tags: red, resonance, death, pain, sadness, dying, song, music, white, petals, blood

Author