I Cannot Fix You

I Cannot Fix You

A Poem by Emmy J.M. Powell

"I'm kind of... broken," you told me, irises cast down. Your long fingers reached behind to the back of your neck, and I knew you were about to scratch at the little duck tail of hair there. You were predictably uncomfortable. 
.

Broken? I thought to myself. The cynical side of me wanted to roll my eyes. What, was this a damn John Greene book? Can we fit anymore cliches in your dialogue? 

Broken; I didn't like that word at all. Broken is a word that we use when we're grappling for an excuse.

Mom, the dish washer is broken. My phone was dead. I wrote that thank you card, I swear.

It's trite and overused. Do not tell me you are broken. You are meat and muscle and bone and you are not built like a wristwatch. Do not romanticize this sort of thing, as if your soulmate will pop up out of the ground like a honeydaisy and want to coddle you, swaddle you, and burp you. Do not overestimate me; I do not want to fix you, and I cannot fix you. 

Because as cliche as it is, broken people are attracted to broken people. We like to hunt for ourselves in others, to feel at home. There's that old Hemingway quote, too.

'We are all broken, that's how the light gets in.'

I cannot fix you, because I'm the same. 

.

I blinked. "Okay," I said.

© 2015 Emmy J.M. Powell


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on July 20, 2015
Last Updated on July 20, 2015

Author

Emmy J.M. Powell
Emmy J.M. Powell

About
22 year old hag with frequent mental collapse, a mineral collection, and an addiction to reptiles “And I asked myself about the present: how wide it was, how deep it was, how much was mine to.. more..

Writing