Blessing

Blessing

A Story by Laura Sparkle

You would never guess that a vampire and an archangel could get along. You’d think that despite everything about damnation, the vampire wouldn’t have wings.

The sun had set several hours ago, and the moon shone brilliantly from the black velvet sky. The rays coming from its body hit the vampire’s hair just right, just at the angle that would make her hair brilliant silver. Looking older than before, looking angelic without actually being so, her wings sparkled around her, whiter than the moon, individual feathers being traced with blood from the recent injuries she sustained.

“Evening.” A voice came from the opposite side of the room, somewhere far behind her.

She knew who it was, although she only encountered him twice before. He stood by the glass doors leading into the outside patio. He had a bright aura around him, the kind seen only on the two highest archangels. It was fitting. His wings were whiter than her, but looked only like smoke. Not any type of smoke, but incense smoke of the sweetest kind.

“Michael,” she whispered, not as startled as a normal person would be, “why are you here?”

He came to stand behind her, his warm arms wrapping tightly around her small shoulders. She couldn’t compare with his height. Although he had a funny way of being exactly as tall as she needed him to be, she never looked out of place beside him. Maybe a little too warm for her to be too comfortable, but she didn’t mind. His wings were more than welcomed around her, their soft texture caressing her every sense, their smell intoxicating her lungs, their warmth wrapping gently around her. She was happy there.

“I felt you.” He smiled as he duh his face into her coconut scented hair. “I could feel what’s inside you from so far away. I’m surprise nothing else is near you.”

“You shouldn’t have come unless you’re here to take me away.” She shut her eyes and tried really hard to keep from crying.

He turned her around and stared into her eyes, even if they were avoidant and searching the carpet for answers. His arms felt nice against her almost bare shoulders, his warm eyes caressed her skin, and his breath had a wonderful hint of myrrh. She collapsed against his chest, shutting her eyes harder and fighting the tears she knew were coming.

“I can do whatever it is I want. Remember who I am?” he cracked a smile and she couldn’t help but smile too.

It was almost too much of a fairytale to believe it, that a vampire would have one of the archangels at her side in her darkest moments. He leaned closer and blew a gush of soft air onto her face.

“You should smile more.” He continued, his tone softer than before.

“Yeah, I should be esoteric as you. This body is weighing me down. I want to be able to fly and get away from here and disappear.” She pressed harder into his chest. “I can’t stand being here anymore. I simply cannot.” She stopped to take a breath.

“Silence.” He whispered, his voice more demanding but still with the same gentle tone to him, the same kindness that was so typical of himself. “You need to calm down. This isn’t helping anything.”

She stood with her back against the wall and her head pressed tightly into his chest. Silence was overwhelming and the light shone through the room and lit up Michael’s wings. Breathtaking as they were, the moment was interrupted by the ringing of a phone.

“Oh no.” she groaned.

“I can make it stop, lose the call, and never hear from it again. The problem can be solved.” He ran one of his hands through her long hair.

“No, I have to deal with this.” She ripped herself from his side and almost lunged on the couch, picking up her phone in the meanwhile. “Hello?” she almost barked into the receiver.

“Hello there darling.” The voice on the other line was almost dangerous and sounded almost as dangerous as the man was.

“What do you want?” she interrupted.

Somewhere, she was aware of Michael’s presence next to her. His wing was draped over her shoulders and his hand kept running through her hair, making the air around them smell of coconuts. She could feel the heat from him radiate through every cell in her body and if she could purr, at that moment she would have.

“Is that any way to talk to me?” the voice answered again, amused but still keeping the same dangerous tone.

“I can greet you in any way I please. What do you want?”

“What I always do.” The voice answered again.

The call dropped and Michael’s arm tightened harder against her shoulders. Things seemed to look up for a moment, and time had seemed to stop. A nightmare was over and the dream was just beginning. With a kiss on her forehead and tucking her sleepy body in bed, he left her sleeping on the same couch they sat on. The room went back to smelling like it usually does, the only traces of myrrh remaining only on her clothing. Seven minutes after Michael’s departure, the phone began vibrating again.

© 2010 Laura Sparkle


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Added on October 10, 2010
Last Updated on October 10, 2010

Author

Laura Sparkle
Laura Sparkle

Anywhere, CA



About
Hello. All you ever need to know about me can easily be obtained by asking. So knock yourself and satisfy your curiosity. :) more..

Writing
To Me To Me

A Poem by Laura Sparkle


Addict Addict

A Poem by Laura Sparkle