Baby Books

Baby Books

A Story by SpeedyHobbit Armstrong
"

Six-year-old Xenia is angry because an older child doubts her ability to read.

"

Xenia turned the page, leaning contentedly against the tree. Next to her was the foot-long twig she’d been playing with before, pretending it was a walking-stick because it came up to her waist. She’d gotten bored, however, and decided to open the book Nora had let her borrow.


 This story was interesting. Far more interesting than anything they read in her class. Not that it was hard for that to happen. They weren’t actually reading anything much in class. She’d just turned six and was in her first year of lower school, which everyone called L1.  Most of the other children didn’t know how to read, while she could read Nora’s schoolbooks without a struggle.

 It was a fun story about a knight and a scary dragon.


“Say, L1 baby, what’s that you’re reading?” The book was wrenched from her grasp.


“Oi!” she cried, jumping to her feet and glaring. She wished she were at home where the people who worked for her parents kept a sharp eye on her big sister Nora and little sister Jillian to make sure neither of them did something so unkind. Or that  Nora was back in school and not bedridden from a fall that had hurt her so badly she’d almost died. Donna was Nora’s age but a big bully.


“Give that back!”


Donna smirked. “As you wish,” she should, handing the book for older children back to Xenia, who relaxed as she began to return the novel to her satchel. Suddenly, a letters- book was shoved in her face. “This is a book for L1 babies.”


“ I’m not a baby!” Xenia yelled indignantly as she threw the baby book on the ground as hard as she could. How dare Donna say that was what she should be reading?



An angry shout cut through the air. “Xenia Foxtrot, get on the fence!”


Xenia froze. The fence? Why? All she’d done was try to stop another student from teasing her! Maybe Magistra Totting hadn’t heard. Surely she’d change her mind once Xenia explained. “Donna was being mean to…”


“The fence. Now.


“But Donna…”


“NOW!”


Emitting a frustrated squawk, Xenia stamped toward the fence.


Just as she reached the fence, she heard the teacher’s voice again.  “Xenia Foxtrot, it’s not ladylike to-“ The pupil slammed both palms against the wood. Her head felt like something was trying to escape. Her eyes stung and burned. “Leave me alone!” she tried shouting. It came out whiny. If this kept up, she was going to cry and Xenia was not in the mood to be mocked for crying.


It wasn’t fair. She’d just been playing a game before Donna started being mean. Why was she the one on the fence while Donna got to keep playing? Even now, Donna was participating in a stone-throwing contest with several other children. It should be her on the fence and Xenia playing. Or at least she should be where the naughty children went alongside Xenia.


Why were adults so useless?

 

© 2014 SpeedyHobbit Armstrong


Author's Note

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong
Just a random scene that occurred to me from when the Traitor Princess protagonist Xenia Foxtrot was a young child, many years before her homeland's government structure changed and she became royalty

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I recall those school yard injustices as well, and no amount of trying to explain would change the teacher"s mind. Well described here.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Very interesting little slice of life you chose to write about. I enjoyed reading it and you have a very unique style of writing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

'Why are the adults so useless?' But really!! haha I know I've coined this phrase many, many times! :D
Loved this one!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

Yeah, same here especially elementary through high school!
There is a lot captured in these relatively few lines and the story is really well written.

'Why are adults so useless,' is doubtless a phrase that has been coined by many a frustrated child.

Beccy.

Posted 9 Years Ago


SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

Oh, yes, very much, whether kid is not believed when they're telling the truth, if the adults think .. read more
Reads like a one act play I would love to see live.

Posted 9 Years Ago


SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much for dropping by and reading!
A tough lesson for such a young child to learn - life isn't fair. But even at such a young age she seems ready to learn such things, no matter how frustrating. I've said it before, I like Xenia.

Posted 9 Years Ago


SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

Yeah, definitely an annoying situation for a kid, getting in trouble for something while the person .. read more
this was well done. I had to reread the part where she put her hands on the fence. At first, I didn't realize that you were referring to Xenia. Maybe you can clarify a little?

Posted 9 Years Ago


SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

thanks so much! I'll check out the one bit that had a hiccup

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

462 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 4, 2014
Last Updated on August 4, 2014
Tags: Xenia, Xenia Foxtrot, children, little kids, reading, bullies, playground, recess

Author

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong
SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

Long Island, NY



About
My name is Cher Armstrong, also known as Speedy Hobbit. I'm a USATF athlete in racewalking for the Raleigh Walkers club team. I just graduated from Queens College in Queens borough in New York Ci.. more..

Writing