Snow drifts and dreams...

Snow drifts and dreams...

A Story by spicedrop
"

A race to keep pace.

"

Some time ago, I had aspirations of becoming a writer.  Not just any writer, mind you, but a writer of historical proportions.  I imagined myself being interviewed on Oprah and my book being chosen for her reading club.  That, at that point in my life, was the earmark of success.

 

Fast forward to now, today.  My writing "career" has suffered. Well, let me rephrase that- my writing was never a "career", it was mainly a pipe dream, something I imagined and talked about but never did much about. I simply let life get in the way- work, marriage, kids, divorce... it all took a toll on my time and my mind, and when sporadically I would sit down to write something , what I wrote was dark and depressing even I didn't want to read it.

 

Recently that thinking has shifted.  I've started writing, and I've found that I enjoy it.  I've found that I can say something with feeling, that I can express emotions that many people feel and maybe cannot express, and that I may really have something to say.  And I'm finding my voice with which to say things.  It's a very exciting time- I have to be honest.  It's like a rebirth; I feel like I'm finally starting to catch up to my dream.

 

This morning I competed in a race out on Long Island.  It was along a shore area- the weather was not great, but not unbearable.  It was cold, and snow was still on the ground, but the ice storm they had predicted  never arrived.  My friend and I walked the 4 miles- I'm not a runner, although that is another pipedream of mine, to run-  and while I was walking I thought about writing, and what I would like to write about next, and I imagined myself running off to write it. Funny how those dreams seem to be working together.

 

Life can be so enjoyable, and every day can be a dream fulfilled, a goal reached- even simple things like walks with friends, breakfast at the diner, and free T-shirts after races! The fact that I finished last didn't break my stride- I wasn't there to win a medal.  I was there to complete a goal- albeit a small one, for some- but for me it was, huge.  I was there to walk and build up some energy for the next race, to enjoy the company of good friends, and to feel good about being me and being able to accomplish what I set out to do.

 

It was, in a word, dreamy.

 

 

 

 

© 2011 spicedrop


Author's Note

spicedrop
I appreciate any feedback you may have. I also wonder under what genre this would fall-

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Love this one. I could for a while step into your shoes as well. Quite touching! way to go :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
1 Review
Added on February 5, 2011
Last Updated on February 5, 2011

Author

spicedrop
spicedrop

brooklyn, NY



About
I have a story to tell in bits and pieces- and along the way I am learning so much about myself and my world. The journey is amazing. more..

Writing
my story my story

A Story by spicedrop


me me

A Story by spicedrop