Snow Day

Snow Day

A Story by Eric Richard
"

The pain of winter.

"

I awake to what others would call a magical paradise or white wonderland, but I have labeled it as anything but magical. I see the white flurries dancing like fireflies making their way to the ground. I do not envision a day full of being bundled up between two blankets, holing a mug full of hot coca over the brim with whipped cream and maybe a few marshmallows with two pieces of Hershey’s milk chocolate in the center. After I leap out of bed, fetch my boots, mittens, and jacket I see a day full of shovels and bare backing labor. I can only imagine the level of intensity of barking I will hear, and no I do not mean my Australian Sheppard, I am referring to another mammal, a two-hundred pound moose with a thirty-four waist; a creature who barks orders at the top of his lungs. I would much rather go to school then to endure this situation. I think the worst part maybe being told I am not doing the job correctly. It is shoveling. Who would have thought there is a correct way to shovel snow? I always thought you grabbed a shovel and tossed the snow into another part of the yard. This not enough…apparently, one has to grab the boulders and fling it as far as the eye can see for one is wasting energy unless digging out large boulders which only end up forming into smaller particles. What I fail to understand is after finishing digging out the driveway or the walkway my dad takes the snow blower to finish the job. Why not just start with the snow blower to make it easier on yourself. At the time of this writing, there are still fifty-one days of winter and more snow storms on the way. That may be awesome for eight year olds who have yet to do anything, but for me that results in more bare backing labor and tiring myself after an hour two at the most to do a job I am not even being paid for and one that will be completed by someone else anyway. Why bother? Why can’t I snuggle in between my blankets reading Stephen King with my hot coca full to the top in whipped cream while for once another soul does the bare backing labor shoveling the snow that is only going to keep on coming? Someone else to be yelled at for not being efficient enough or wasting time and energy to do something no one wants to even do.        

© 2012 Eric Richard


Author's Note

Eric Richard
All coments welcome

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
1 Review
Added on January 29, 2011
Last Updated on August 6, 2012
Tags: Snow Day, Shoveling, winter

Author

Eric Richard
Eric Richard

Palm Coast, FL



About
Been interested in writing since as long as I can remember. I hold my Bachelor's degree in creative writing and my associate's degree in General Business. I took a creative writing course which .. more..

Writing
Liberty Liberty

A Poem by Eric Richard


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Eric Richard