The dead political parrot

The dead political parrot

A Story by spoils
"

how dead birds affect us

"

The Dead Political Parrot

Dead Parrot? - Yes, indeed!  As you may recall there was a comedy group called Monty Python who did quirky off the wall improvisational sketches. One of their most well-known sketches involved the sale of a dead parrot.  Bear with me, there is a point to all this.  

In the sketch a man returns to a pet shop complaining he was just sold a dead parrot.   The salesman tells him that the bird which is clearly dead was in fact not dead - it was just resting.  The customer points out that the bird is nailed to his perch in the cage.  The salesman responds that the parrot is nailed to the perch so that he will not fly away.  Well, to shorten it up, the customer continues pointing out all of the evidence that the bird is dead and the salesman continues to deny the evidence no matter how compelling.   As this goes on the customer becomes more and more frustrated and agitated and finally begins to bang the bird on the counter while yelling, The Bird is Dead!...Dead!...Dead!!!... At this point, the salesman calmly looks at the customer and says, “Well, yes, now.” 

My first response was a short burst of laughter.  It then occurred to me that I had been to that pet shop - many times. Indeed my whole life people have been trying to sell me dead birds, most of all in politics.

True dyed-in-the-wool politicians are the most accomplished salesmen (and women) of these deceased fowl.  They have raised the marketing of these bygone birds to dizzying heights.  Even when the public is holding the rotting creature in their arms they refuse to believe that it is dead. This is hyper-deadparrot-osis and it can afflict anyone - the intelligent, smart (who think they are intelligent), the stupid (who refuse to learn - knowing everything already) and those with the intellect of algae. Only the dead are safe from infection.

Politicians and their media facilitators dress up these ideals carcasses and parade them before the public until they are the incarnation of comfort and reassurance to the masses. Once this happens, the bird is hidden from any questioning, protected by the forces of control who fix our society off-stage (even when it is clearly not broken.)

Many of these Passed-on Parrots have even become the leaders of our country.  One very clear example comes to mind - the current president of the US - Joe, the Birdman, Biden.  He was presented as a strong grandfatherly kind and caring person in contrast to his predecessor in the office who was characterized as a brash uncaring money grubbing egotist (to state  a few of four-walled slurs hurled at the public)

Both of these characterizations were false - exaggerations at best.  But if repeated enough, even when there was no evidence, the media addicted believed them. The birdman was elected and here we are in bird crap up to our necks and sinking.

But still the dead birds walk and talk.  Free money for all and no raise in taxes, a secure boarder where all come in (including criminals and terrorists), A raise in social security benefits that can’t keep up with the rate of inflation caused by runaway spending. 

What about the reputation of the US in the world?  Our enemies are gleefully stuffing their versions of dead birds and preparing to export them to us, given our weakened state of mind. Our Chinese brothers and sisters sell us their diseased birds at very cheap prices and use the money we pay them to build their military forces and use our recycled trash to build islands in the South China ‘sea to be used as military bases.

Our allies left holding the bird in Afghanistan, now smell the decay of our broken promises.  I wonder how likely they will be to believe the bird is ‘alive’ next time we say so.

But with avian carcasses piling up like cord wood, some of the American people of all ages are oblivious and happy to feed them.  After all, they don’t eat much. But their existence costs us all so much �" eventually our freedom.

© 2023 spoils


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

34 Views
Added on September 1, 2023
Last Updated on September 1, 2023

Author

spoils
spoils

Cleveland, OH



About
I'm a retired psychologist who has observed the human condition for all my 75 years and still wonder at it. I write stories and poems that struggle with that wonder. more..

Writing
anger anger

A Poem by spoils


pearls pearls

A Poem by spoils


Tao Tao

A Poem by spoils