The Summers of Life

The Summers of Life

A Story by Joey Weinberg
"

A kid gets bullied in his school. He has to try to stop this from happening.

"

 

The Summers of Life
 
          "Knock it off!" I barked to my best friend in the world, Matt Hain, as crowds of people were walking to their next class. People walking by, were pushing shoving each other as typical middle school kids would do. Matt decided to join in. He pushed me so hard, it was like a tornado hit the person I had bumped into in front of me. Matt and I started to laugh. "Hey, Joey?" Matt asked still laughing. "What?" "Did you study for the test today?" "Kind of, not really." I did not say anything to him the rest of the time we were walking to science. While everyone was still taking the test, I had finished early and decided to read. Well, that was me. A regular kid, an 8th grader, who sat with his kind of cool, but kind of nerdy friends, who seemed like everyday was being bullied. I had one good friend, Matt (who was not nerdy at all, and kind of a chick-magnet sometimes). I am Joey Weinberg, and this is my life in the next few weeks.
            Nutrition had started, when it seemed like forever for my first two classes of the day to be over. I walked over to the benches where we always hung out. I found everyone already sitting there and talking. "Hey bring me some of those, watcha macall it? Oh yeah, a bag of Lays from the student store, will ya do that for me?" "Sure", I said with a sure I'll do this, but I don't feel like doing it response. He gave me his money and I was off. I would do anything for Matt and he would do the same for me. I decided to walk past the music room and past the lively, blooming rose bushes, when I decided I would take another route. I decided to walk through Raymond Hall to get to the student store. That was my shortcut to avoiding Philip Samuel. Philip was the biggest, but brightest piece of u know what, I have ever known. He probably was the most popular kid in 8th grade. He was African-American. All of the girls loved him no matter if they had never seen him before (which is almost impossible). He was like a new purse to girls. They always liked him no matter what he ever did, and every girl would want to hold his hand and carry him around like a purse. Except, he did have a girlfriend named Melissa Summers. He was the biggest bully to me and my friends. But especially me. I thought he was the biggest loser I have ever met. I was walking back outside from Raymond Hall, when I saw someone I think I recognized. "Oh my lord", I thought trying very hard not to believe who that was. I stopped right when I walked out of Raymond Hall. Standing next to the bathrooms was Armon Luis. Armon was Philip's best friend. He actually was not as bad as Philip, but he always was with him. But he wasn't with anyone right now. He was just standing there just watching the crowd go by and looking around s if he was looking for someone. I realized that person was me.
            I tried to walk right behind someone not looking at him, so he would not notice me. But right as I walked right past him I heard a low, kind of weird tone to his voice. His tone sounded just like what Michael Jackson would use if he was talking to a kid. "Hey Joey, can you come here for a sec?" I stopped dead in my tracks, and slowly looked up to see who said that. It was Armon. "What do you want?" I said with an aggravated tone. "I heard you have a new Girlfriend, or as I call it, a homework buddy! Joey loves Lisa! Joey loves Lisa!" they shouted in amusement. Yes I did have a crush on a girl named Lisa Summers and she was sort of my friend. And yes, she was Melissa Summers identical twin. Yep, you guessed it; I kind of liked her to. That made it a whole lot worse. We also did homework together sometimes. Hahahaha!" laughed Armon. In the middle of Armon's laugh, out walks this 5-6, with beaming blue-eyes, buff kid. Armon stopped laughing and looked serious. Philip with a smirk on his face comes up to me and pushed me straight to the ground. "What did I ever do to him," I thought madly. While I was getting up, he did that fake punch you thing to me, and then he and Armon started laughing while I started walking away. I walked back to the benches where my friends were eating, instead of going to the student store. I walked back over to the benches with my back slumping, to tell the story to my friends that something was wrong (I loved to show off). No one really seemed to pay attention to me until I used my depressed, down voice to tell Matt I could not get him his chips. Then Matt asked, "What's wrong with ya, boy?" "I just got my be-hind kicked by Philip and Armon." "Well, just forget about it," Matt said. The rest of the day went slow as usual. That night I went to bed early, because I wanted to wake up early in the morning tomorrow for a special reason.
            My dad woke me up at 6:10 AM. I woke up with a startle. I had had a bad dream that night. I got out of bead slowly and exhausted and went straight for the bathroom to brush my teeth. I yawned as I walked down the hall into the living room to the kitchen. While I had my breakfast, I remembered why I got up this early and I ate my cheerios fast. I decided to get some payback. I decided to call Matt to see if he was awake yet. Luckily he was. "Matt? Oh! Hi, I am surprised you are awake this early." "Yah, I just woke up and I could not go back to sleep." "Can you do me a favor? Can you go make a sign that says Philip is a stinkin retard on it?" I said. "Ok? What for?" "I'll tell u later." I talked with Matt for another 5 minutes because he persuaded me to tell him what my plan was. I told him I was going to bring some pins and when Philip wasn't looking, we were going to pin him down with the sign. I knew that was stupid, but it would work.
            That next day started off well. While coming from Algebra to the benches for lunch, I saw that Philip was being yelled at by Mr. Clark, our assistance principal. I did not know why he was being yelled at, but I just walked by with a half smile on my face. I found Matt sitting alone on one of the benches across where we usually hang out. "You Ok…?" I asked not knowing what was wrong with him. "I am just a little shakin up." He had told me that his parents got into a big fight before he left for school this morning. "Well… are you still up for the poke Philip with a pin thing?" "Yah… sure… whatever," Matt said with a dismal expression. I decided I had to talk to him for the whole nutrition. I talked to him for a while. I new his parents often fought, but I never new it would be this depressing for a child. While I was cheering him up, walking by Matt and I, was Lisa Summers. I started to talk Gibberish to Matt not knowing what I was saying, because I was staring at Lisa. I got butterflies all over my body. All of a sudden, she stands right where she was and looks at Matt, then me. "Are you two all right?" "Yah, we're fine. Matt just got a little upset about something personal. That's all," I said nervously. "Oh, ok. I was just wondering if you were going to Seattle next month, because I am also going with my sister." "Yah, Matt and I are going up there to see my Uncle." "All Right, cool. See you later guys." I stopped for a moment and just thought for a second. "What if we saw each other at the airport and stuff? Or maybe we could like go to a secret part of the airport and be all alone together. Just, what if," my self-conscious blabbered. Yes, Matt and I were going to go to Seattle in the summer to visit my Uncle Mark. The rest of the day went slow until lunch. When lunch started I walked to the cafeteria. I had told Matt he should meet me here. I sat down on a lunch table and waited. I waited about 15 minutes and there was no sign of him anywhere. So I had to deal with this on my own. I also had no sign with me. All I was going to do was find him and stick the pins in his back. I knew where he hung out. I walked around a building. There were a lot of kids passing by looking at me funny because I had 2 pins in my hand. I had found Philip. He was with his usual guy, Armon Luis. I was very lucky, because he picked up his backpack and started to walk somewhere else. I decided to follow him. He started to walk fast. He looked like he was in a hurry. While I was following him, I realized where he was heading. He was heading for the benches where my friends were. I was in a fast walk now. Right when he got to our benches he stopped and asked, "Where the kid?" At that instant I took the pin and jabbed it in his back. He turned around, looked at me and fell onto the ground swearing. My friends were in shock. Even Matt was. He did not think I would really do it. I decided to run. But somehow I saw Philip get up. But he didn't run after me, he ran straight for the offices. Then I knew I was in for some big misfortune.
            In the middle of creative writing, which was my class that I was in right now, I got a summons to the dean's office. When my teacher read who the summons was for and where I was going, the whole class ooed and awed in shock. They all know I am a great student. I walked out of the classroom slowly. I knew what I had done. When I walked into the dean's office, I noticed the dean, Mr. Haddad, had a not so pretty look on his face. I was glad Philip was not in the room. I had finally dealt with the dean. They said I was suspended from school for one day. And two days from today, was the last day of school. The next day I stayed home from school and I was actually pretty happy I did. But my mom grounded me. I could not watch T.V. or go on the computer today. The day passed very quickly. That night I had a nightmare. I was wondering what Philip would do to me the next day. I had imagined that he might gang up on me and give me a weggie or something. Or maybe something worse.
            I woke up late for the last day of school. I woke up like five minutes before I had to leave for school. I was supposed to go straight to the dean's office with my mom so she could sign a paper saying that I respect people's property and promise to not hurt anyone again. While walking to my homeroom, a kid bumped right into me. It was Philip Samuel. I did not recognize him because he got the weirdest looking buzz cut I had ever seen. When I heard his voice, my heart almost gave out on me. All he said was, "You're going to get payback from me kid. And you're gonna regret it for the rest of your life." I was shocked that was all he did to me. But the weird thing was, he looked pretty serious to me. The day went so slow because I wanted to get of school so badly. When the day finally ended, Matt came over to my house. We were celebrating the last day of school. I had put off my mind what Philip had said to me. Matt and I decided to make a Youtube video together. We had so much fun together that day. Two weeks passed of me having fun with my friends. The funny thing was, is that I went to a Bar-Mitzvah party a couple of weeks ago, and a girl really started to flirt with me. I had told all of my friends that. They thought it was funny because, they knew I would never get a Girlfriend.
            It was the first week in July, and today Matt and I were going to fly to Seattle and stay with my Uncle Mark. I packed up all of my stuff I needed for the 6 day stay in Seattle. My parents and I went to go pick up Matt and take him to the airport with me. "You ready for this trip?" "Yep," he said eating a peanut butter energy bar. "I don't think I will see life the same way after this trip, because Seattle is so beautiful, and we're going to visit so many places, that I will always be missing Seattle so much all the time." "Well, we'll see about that," he chuckled. When we arrived at the airport, my parents checked us in as kids (I thought that was so embarrassing). But we were able to go to our plane by ourselves. I walked on board the plane with Matt. We had been moved up to first class seats for some odd reason. The flight was a 2:25 minute flight. During the flight I thought about my dreams of seeing Lisa and Melissa at the airport. But my hopes were smashed into pieces. I listened to my I-Pod for most of the flight. When the plane landed, I had this Queasy feeling in my stomach because I had talked to Lisa the night before, and she had talked about us meeting up sometime in Seattle.
            We got off the plane in a hurry. While we started walking down to the baggage claim, I heard someone call my name from way back in the crowd of people. Yes, it was Lisa's voice. Matt and I decided to walk back to where we heard the voice. Then I saw Lisa and Melissa standing right next to the bathroom door. But when I looked closer, behind them I saw someone that I did not want to see right now. It was Philip. "Wha…. What is Philip doing here L-Lisa," I said in a nervous shock. "Oh, yeah. I didn't tell you. Melissa wanted to take him along at the last second. I forgot to tell you," said Lisa. Then at that second, Philip and Melissa went into separate bathrooms. Then Lisa came towards me. "Joey, I have to tell you something. I don't want to scare you or anything; I have a crush on you. A big one." She stood next to me blushing. I was in total shock. "Is this some kind of j— I stopped talking. She started to come closer and closer until she did it. She started to kiss me. We were still kissing after 5 seconds. Matt stood in shock. Walks out Philip and Melissa, in the middle of our romantic kiss. Her warm lips plummeting down towards my chin. Then out of the corner of my eye, coming up to me is Philip. He was walking with a mean smile on his face. Well, that what I thought it was. But then he walked up to me, stopped and shook my hand and he bowed. He said, "Congratulations dude. Since our girlfriends are sisters, I think we should be friends now. I thought in shock and said, "Eh.., sure… yeah. Yeah. We should be friends." We laughed and shook hands again and walked out to get our luggage.

© 2009 Joey Weinberg


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
Added on January 17, 2009




Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5