rolands story

rolands story

A Story by stephen canning

Roland’s Story

 

I don’t know where it came from. I remember seeing it for the first time when I was in bed. The things it made happen. The things it made me and my daughter do was sickening. In the end what I did was the right thing to do. It was the only way to get rid of it. It killed me inside to do it, but I am sure I will be forgiven on my day of judgment for it.

 

I would do my usual morning routine, get up, make breakfast and get my daughter Mary-Anne ready for school. Today she was going on a school field trip which would usually be absolutely fine, but today they were visiting the local mental hospital. Not exactly the best place for a ten year old to be. When she came down for breakfast, I had to sit her down and tell her not to wonder off from the main group and under no circumstances was she to talk to anybody that wasn’t in her class or wasn’t a teacher. A typical kid of her age gave me the usual yes dad I know while rolling her eyes routine.

I took her straight to school today since she had to be there a little earlier than usual, and the bus didn’t run at that time. I pulled up outside of the school gates to drop her off, when I got a knock on my window, it was Mary-Anne’s teacher. My mind instantly thought yes the trip was cancelled. Unfortunately not though, apparently one of the parents that were meant to be helping out on the trip had to pull out with a sickness bug, and she wanted me to come along and help out. Of course I accepted this way I could keep a nice close eye on my daughter the entire time we were there. needless to say Mary-ann wasnt overly impressed with the idea of this.

 

we jumped on the bus and she instantly told me all teachers and helpers had to sit at the front of the bus, i thought id let her have this one and took my seat at the front after all nothing bad could happen to her on a bus. we arrived at the local nut house and as the kids got off the bus they were partnered up and told to keep together, this put my mind at rest a little more. we entered and was greeted by the senior sister at the hospital, sister angela, a tall skinny woman in her 50's with blond tied back hair and a face that would make anyone shiver like a child again, the real stern look of someone that dosent take no for an answer.

we started the tour with the easy stuff, i.e people with depression and addictions. i was stood towards the back of the group one eye on the in mates and the other on Mary-ann. The day was passing by without a single problem but the worst part was yet to come. a trip to the lower part of the hospital where they keep the criminally insane and total crackpots.

i sat talking to one of the other parents about this part of the day, she told me about a few of the idiots down there. one killed 4 people by tieing them up together and blindfolding them and told them to walk forward so they could escape, not telling them they were on top of a multi storey car park, 15 floors the fell straight on to high level spike fencing. another she told me about i remember hearing about when i was a kid, i ddint think she was still alive must be at least 70 maybe 80 years old by now. her name was alexandra something i dont remember but i heard she went nuts at a party and killed a few people in real gruesome fashion. the fact that these people were locked behind steel doors didnt make me any happier.

we headed down i was now watching Mary-ann like a full hawk stalking its prey. sister Angela assured me that it was perfectly safe but i had a horrible feeling that something bad might happen. we walked the corridors as she told us about the people in here rapist, murderers, psychopaths, schyzofraniacs. i noticed one giant of a man in one of the rooms at least 7 ft 5 inch and built like monster. i asked what his story was and to what looked like sister Angelas reluctance she told us he ripped the arms and legs off of at least 12 people while they were still alive and to make matters worse he forced the to watch as he ate them like some sort of chicken leg. when she finished her story my attention turned back to Mary-ann, but i couldnt see her. i spun around frantically looking for her. she was stood at one of the doors talking to an inmate i watched as a long skinny arm appeared to reach through the hole in the door where food trays were passed through, i ran towards her to grab her back before she could be touched. i swooped her up just in time. i turned back to the door and stared at the piercing eyes looking back at me. "keep away from my daughter you god damn freak" i told her. she just laughed and walked away from the door. i noticed the name on the door Alexandra, it was true she was still alive the mental murderer herself still going strong. i grabbed Mary-ann's hand and dragged her to the side " i told you not to stray from the group and not to talk to any of these people what were you thinking" i told her crossley. " she knew my name" this answer instantly sent shivers down my spine i hurried us back to the group, luckily no one noticed we were missing.

i sent Mary-ann straigtht to her room when we got home i was still seething that she talked to one of those idiots. after a while i headed up to see if she was alright i walked into her room and she quickly closed her wardrobe doors and looked at me with shock on her face. i wasnt in the mood for games, i moved out of the way and opened the doors to find nothing. i asked her what she was trying to hide but she didnt say anything just looked over my shoulder and past me into the wardrobe.

i left her to her own devices for the night we clearly werent going to sort things out tonight. it must have been around 3am when i woke up feeling a set of eyes bearing into the back of my head. i rolled over and saw Mary-ann stood there just staring at me. i rubbed my eyes and looked at her properly asking again what was wrong. thats when i saw it, a hand...a single dark hand with long stretching fingers draped over her shoulder i rushed to turn on the lamp and as i did the hand disappeared, it must have been a trick of the light or something but Mary-ann climed into bed with me and snuggled right down into the covers.

 

the next morning i woke to fnd mary-ann already up, i went to her room to see if she waas there and again she was stood in front of her wardrobe doors with them wide open. i said her name but she didnt react she just kept looking into the wardrobe. i ran over and looked in the wardrobe but again there was nothing there and grabbed Mary-ann and asked what she could see what was she looking at, she turned to look at me and said " he's here and he wants to hurt me". "who's here sweety, who wants to hurt you" i asked her hurridly. she turned her head back to the wardrobe and said "him, the fallen angel" i turned to look but i still couldnt see anything but i could feel it now feel it looking at me, through me, into my soul.

i grabbed mary-ann and my car keys. dropped her off at the neighbours house who would often look after her when i was working away. i drove to the mental hopital and asked to sister Angela straight away. she came straight down, i explained i was here yesterday with the school trip and that my daughter spoke to alexandra and now sometghing was wrong, she took me into her office and sat me down. she grabbed a file from a cabinet and sat down on the other side of the desk. " what im going to tell you cannot leave this room understand" i just nodded not knowing what to expect. " 60 years ago alexandra killed 4 people at a party when she was picked up by the police she sat in the back of the police car and kept flinching almost as if something as whispering in her ear and touching her. she then screamed and went crazy in the back of the car broke both windows and nearly escaped. when she was brought here she was convinced it wasnt her that killed those people it was someone called lou and it was sent to her by her friend called dexter" " who is dexter" i asked. " dexter was a boy she went to school with" she continued " she said dexter told lou to come and help alexandra get her revenge on the people that abused her.. sexually" thuis hit home hard on me. " ever since that night alexandra hasnt slept properly, she wakes up at all hours screaming and ranting how she was going to get out one day and destroy everyone and everything, needless to say she was diagnosed with duel personality and schizophrenia. last night however she didnt make a sound all night we thought she had committed suicide or just simply died but no shes still healthy and somewhat talking almost normally." i could tell by the look on the sisters face this was a puzzling fact for her to get her head around. she agreed to take me down to see alex again and let me talk to her.

i stood outside her door, looked through the hole in the door it was dark inside i asked her if she remembered me and if i could talk to her she came over to the door i looked at her eyes. they werent the same eyes i saw yesterday these eyes seemed tired and old. i explained about mary-ann and if she could help me. " he left me when he saw your daughter, he liked her because he could control her, like he controlled me. he wont stop until he turns her like me, you have to stop him quick" she told me this and i had no choice but to beleive her. i asked how to do it. " he was born in the fire and thats how he can be killed but before that you need to release hime from your daughter im sorry but she must die then let the fire consume her and him aswell." "your telling me i have to kill my own daughter" i told her in disbelief "im sorry but its the only way"

i ran from that palce as quick as i could. i ran to my neighbours apartment and could see smoke pouring out of the bottom of the door i kicked it open the place was on fire the smoke alarm was going mental. i called her name looking foe her best i could when i fell over i looked down at what i had fallen over. it was my neighbour her throat was cut open. i just paniced jumped up and shouted for mary-ann. i spotted her in the bedroom just standing there bloodied knife in hand. the hneat was becoming intense i needed to move quick. i saw a shotgun cabinet in the corner of the bedroom. i had no choice this wasnt my daughter anymore i needed to end it. i ran for the cabinet swung it open and grabbed the gun from inside with 2 cartridges from the top shelf and loaded it i walked over to mary-ann i looked at her eyes, these were the eyes i saw yesterday in alexandra i pointed the gun her tears streaming down my face then she screamed it scared me and made me jump so much that i pulled the trigger almost  by accident and she fell to the floor i dropped to my knees crying i looked up and saw a fireman stood there looking atme with the gun still pointing at my daughter i shouted at him " its your curse now" i sung the gun around and fired straight into the bottom of my chin. everything went blackadn quiet when i finally saw something it wasnt the pearly gates everyone talked about whe n you die. it was a burning rock gate i knew instantly i was in hell and why not, i had murdered my own daughter this was my punishment my curse.

© 2016 stephen canning


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

63 Views
Added on May 4, 2016
Last Updated on May 4, 2016

Author

stephen canning
stephen canning

nottinghamshire, United Kingdom



About
hi my name is stephen or ste. I am 26 and I am a plasterer but I have always liked to do a little writing on the side mainly for a hobby. more..

Writing