Happy Birthday, Alfred

Happy Birthday, Alfred

A Story by steve
"

Alfred wakes up and looks forward to his Birthday treat.

"
                                               Happy Birthday, Alfred

The sun shone, which was a pleasant change to overcast weather of the last few days.  The sky was a nice colour blue, and birds could be observed over many tree tops.
Because it was brighter more people had decided to venture out.
It was the month of February and the harsh conditions of winter were slowly going away.
It was Alfred’s birthday.  He was sixty four.  
He awoke in a good mood.  
“Happy celebrations,” said he, as he got out of his warm bed.  “Happy celebrations indeed.”
He put on his yellow socks.  Then his nice purple dressing gown.  
Alfred peered out of the window, and the weather seemed better on this day.
Perfect for a stroll to the shops to buy some eggs for breakfast.
After he’d dressed and polished his shoes, he walked to the front door.
“Will I need an umbrella?” he muttered.
There wasn’t a single cloud in the sky.
Unlikely, he thought.
He opened the door and looking out he saw Mrs Harrison coming down the street.
“Morning,” shouted he, smiling.
She glanced his way, and waved, before saying, “Oh hello, dear Alfred.”
He closed the door and made his way to the road.  Then answered, “What a lovely day to go for a walk.  Wouldn’t you say, dear lady.”
“Yes, the sunshine is wonderful,” she said in a delightful way.  “Happy Birthday, Alfred.”
Alfred placed a hand on her shoulder, and gave her a kiss on her left cheek.
“You remembered.”
She giggled like a little girl, then said, “Of course I remembered.  Why wouldn’t I.  You are a very dear friend, Alfred.”
He smiled at her warmly, replying, “And you are a very dear friend to me as well.”
Then she said, “I must be off.  Plenty to do.”
Alfred waved her farewell, and she was off down the road carrying her shopping bag full of food.
He looked at her shapely bottom.
It was lovely.
“Goodbye, Mrs Harrison,” said he under his breath.
He checked he had enough money in his pockets.  Then headed in the direction of the shop.
While he walked, he observed two children on the other side of the road.  Both wore woolly hats and thick coats.  They played with smiles on their faces.
He crossed the road, and they glanced up at him.
“Be careful,” he said.  “The roads can be dangerous.  Do you understand what I am saying, children?”
“Yes,” answered the little girl.  “Thank you, Mr Killard.  We promise to be safe.”
“Now that is what I like to hear,” said he.  “I must go, I have some eggs to buy.”
“Bye, Mr Killard,” both shouted.
He then made his way down the slight hill while humming a tune.

………………………………................................................................................................

Alfred entered the newsagents and waved to the man at the counter.
The tallish man then said, “Hello, Alfred.  Happy Birthday to you.”
Alfred turned to him with a surprised look on his face.  “How did you know?”
The man with his grey moustache, then replied, “Mrs Harrison told me earlier.”
“That explains it.  Thank you, Kenneth.”
Alfred picked up half a dozen eggs.  He placed them onto the counter.  He handed Kenneth some money.
“Thank you, Alfred.  I hope you have a very good day.”
“I’ll try,” said he.
He left the shop and the sun still shone causing a nice glow wherever he looked.
“Happy Birthday, to me indeed,” he chuckled.

………………………………................................................................................................

He arrived home with a spring in his step.  He felt popular today, with two people  wishing him a Happy Birthday.
He went straight to the kitchen to prepare his delicious breakfast.  Alfred licked his lips with anticipation.  He stuck some bread into the toaster.  

Not too many minutes later and everything was ready to eat.  The yoke was runny and filled his heart with delight.  Also a nice cup of tea to wash it down with.
Perfect.
He washed up, and left the stuff to dry.
Downstairs he had a birthday treat.  He had been looking forward to this all morning.
“It is now time.  And I am so excited.”
Alfred licked his lips.  He couldn’t wait any longer.
He rubbed his hands together.  Then he headed for the stairs which would take him to his present.
He opened the door and it creaked.  
“Hello, present,” he said.
He stared at it with utter astonishment.  This was going to be the best birthday ever.
Alfred made his way to the bed, where the present sat on top.
“What is happening,” shouted a woman’s voice.
On the bed a woman was handcuffed.  She was terrified.  She started to cry.
Alfred neared her, his heart raced.
“Hello, Margaret.  We met a couple of days back.  You are my birthday treat.”
“Please, just let me go,” she shrieked.
She tried to get out of the handcuffs, but it was impossible, also her wrists were badly bruised.
“If you let me go, I promise I will not say a thing.”
“Birthday treats should not speak back in such a terrible way,” he said, most disgusted.
Alfred closed the door to the cellar.
From the top of the stairs only faint screams could be heard.
And in front of the house not a single sound, apart from the odd vehicle coming down the road.

   The End

© 2013 steve


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This started out to be such a nice story about such a nice man. But you gave it an unexpected twise. Excellent job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

steve

11 Years Ago

Thank you, Marie. x

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
1 Review
Added on January 18, 2013
Last Updated on January 18, 2013

Author

steve
steve

Norwich



About
Hi, I hope you enjoy my short stories. I've been writing for sometime now, and thoroughly enjoy it. To be honest, I find it quite addictive. Even when I'm at work I am thinking about the next story.. more..

Writing
Family Family

A Story by steve


Lockdown Lockdown

A Story by steve


Evil Elves Evil Elves

A Story by steve