Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Love Me Not
1986, Penny Herrera falls into the predatory clutches of Matt, an older man who has no other intention than to alter Pen
A Loyal Companion.

A Loyal Companion.

A Story by steve
"

A man loses his wife.

"
                                                      A Loyal Companion

Richard stood at the grave.  He glanced longingly at it.  He began to weep.  He dried his eyes, and put the tissue back into his trouser pocket.
Six feet under was his wife.  She was involved in a collision eight days back.  
He missed her terribly.
“Why,” was all he muttered.
Deep down he knew the answer.  A drunk driver had caused the accident.  It had occurred on a country lane near to where they lived.
His jacket was slowly getting covered in falling snow.
A woman stood just behind him, dressed in black.
“Come on, Richard,” said she softly.  “Let’s head home.”
He turned, and answered, “I would rather stay.”
She brushed some hair away from her eyes.  “The weather is getting worse.  Hazel wouldn’t want you to freeze out here.  She knows you are going to miss her.”
“But why?” he said.  “Why did this happen to my wife?  She was only thirty three years old.”
The woman whose name was Jennifer, then said in a concerned way, “I know.  But life is unfair at times, Richard.”
He walked to her, and put a hand on her shoulder, before saying, “Maybe you’re right.  Come on, let’s make a move.  It’s perishing out here.”
Jennifer agreed.
Both made their way towards the car which was parked some distance away.
All about was white.  Scattered birds flew above, struggling against the harsh wind.  Beside the church tall oaks stood with their many white branches which seemed to reach the leaden clouds in the sky.
Nearby a dog ran through the increasing snow.  Some metres behind the animal a man with a red face was observed, while he had trouble keeping up with his companion.
Jennifer noticed this, and said, “Have you ever thought about getting a pet, to keep you company I mean?”
“Most definitely not,” answered he.
She looked disappointed.
“Why not?”
Richard turned to her, and said, “It’s not really me.”
“That’s such a shame,” she replied.  “Let’s make a move, it’s freezing out here.”
As quick as they could both proceeded towards the entrance of the graveyard.
The car was seen just down the road, and both hurried to it, shaking from the chill.
They got in.
“Thank you for coming, Jennifer,” said he, peering at her.
“She was my best friend.  And I will miss her dearly,” was all she said with saddened eyes.
Richard started the engine.
The other people which had attended the funeral were seen as they headed to their cars.
The snow still fell.
He felt a tear well up in his eye.  He put his foot down and the car moved up the road at a steady speed.

………………………………................................................................................................

That night he had the most unusual dream.  In the dream a dog appeared to him, its tongue wagging as it ran about.  Then it changed, and he found himself standing in darkness.  From the darkness his wife could be seen covered in light.  She looked angelic.
And she said, “I will always be with you, and I love you dearly.”
He tried to reach for her.
She then vanished.
Now he found himself stood on dry warm yellow grass, barefoot.  He peered up at the sun while it radiated in the clear blue sky.  About his feet he felt a tickling sensation, and glanced down.  It was the dog from earlier, as it looked up at him.

Richard awoke all of a sudden, covered in sweat.  Tears flooded his tired eyes, while he thought of his beautiful wife.

………………………………................................................................................................

Many days had passed.  The house seemed dark and empty.  Countless evenings were spent sat on his own.  Sometimes he would imagine hearing her voice in a faraway room.
He cried more times than he could remember.

………………………………................................................................................................

One afternoon while Richard strolled down a busy street, he noticed something in one of the windows.
Then he thought back to the dream he had had some time back.
Through the glass was the cutest puppy he had ever clapped eyes on.  
Their eyes met.
For the first time in ages a feeling came over him that his wife was near, watching him, giving him a message which at this moment he could not hear.
“Where are you?” muttered he.
An elderly man inside the shop saw him, then made his way to the door.
“Hello, mate.  So are you interested?” he asked.
Richard looked at him, and said, “I’m not sure.  I just saw the dog through the window.  That’s all.”
The man coughed, then answered, “You will have to hurry, if you want it.”
It was a silly idea really, he thought.
He was hardly a suitable person to be in charge of another living thing.
“I’m okay.  Let’s just hope it ends up in a good home.”
“Yes, I agree.  I love my animals and I would never wish any harm on them,” said he.  “And in my heart I always hope that they will end up in a nice home, once they have left the safety of my shop.”
Richard liked this person.  He seemed genuinely kind.
“I must be off.  Nice talking to you,” said Richard.
“Yes, mate.  See you another time, maybe.  And if you change your mind, be swift as the dog will not be here forever.”
“I will.  Bye.”
He carried on down the street.  
The pet shop now becoming a distant memory.

………………………………................................................................................................

Two days later.
Richard watched the television, but there wasn’t much on.  He turned it off.  
It was so quiet in the house, and he didn’t like it.
He tapped his hand on the arm of the chair.
He peered over at the other chair, and imagined his wife sitting there.
“Would you like a cup of tea?” said he quietly.
No answer.
From outside he heard barking.  He neared the window, and through the glass he saw a man.  By his side was a dog as both made their way up the road.  The man was seen shouting something, then he threw a stick.  The dog ran for it.  When it had returned, the man lovingly patted its head.
A curious feeling rose up in Richard.  Tomorrow was another day, and this time he would make the right choice.
He rang Jennifer and told her the news.  And as he had expected she was delighted.
Afterwards, he sat back down in the chair, and a strange warmness could be felt amongst the deathly shadows.

………………………………................................................................................................

Early next morning he left the house.  The shop was seven miles away.  On one of the roads he met a traffic jam, which was frustrating.
“Hurry up,” he said.
Then he felt a chill run through him.  This was the road where his wife had died.  The spot where her vehicle had crashed was only a few metres ahead of him.
He was scared to look, but he did anyway.
All he saw was a hedge with a bit of grass at the bottom.
He felt upset.
Since that day he had not had the courage to travel down this particular road, but out of his excitement, he had temporarily forgotten.
Thankfully the traffic was now on the move.
But the image of where she spent her last few seconds would haunt him for evermore.

………………………………................................................................................................

He entered the shop, and realised the puppy was not there.
His heart sunk.
Richard was ready to leave when he heard a door close at the back of the shop.  Then the owner appeared.
“It’s good to see you again,” the man said, with a smile on his face.  “So, what can I do for you?”
It was an awkward situation for him now, as the man had told him not to leave it too long.  It was his fault that the puppy had been sold.
“I’m not sure,” he said embarrassed.  He took a step back.  “I might as well go.  The dogs gone, I should’ve come earlier.”
The man came closer, a confused look on his ageing face.  “Well, I had this feeling you would be back.”
Richard sighed, then said, “I’ll be honest with you, I am gutted.”
The man seemed pleased, and replied, “I know you are.  I can see it in your eyes.  And if you will now follow me, I promise you, you’ll be very pleased with what you find.”
Richard followed the man a bit apprehensive.  The door to the backroom opened and looking back at him was the puppy.
“I don’t understand,” said he surprised.
The man answered, “I knew you’d be back, so I kept it in here for you.”
“That is so kind,” Richard said, using his hand he stroked the dog’s fur.
Then the animal licked his fingers.
He laughed, and realised it was for the first time in ages.

………………………………................................................................................................

Ten years had gone by.
Richard strolled down the narrow path.  The dog just ahead of him, while it sniffed the ground.  
“Come here, boy,” he shouted.
The dog as usual ignored him.
The warm sun could be felt on his face.  The sky that day was a pale blue and no clouds could be seen.
It was quite early in the morning, so there was no one about.  That is why he preferred to take the dog for a walk at this hour, so he could let it off the lead.
All of a sudden the dog ran with all its speed disappearing behind a group of trees.
“Where are you going, boy?” he yelled.
For god sake, he thought.
In the distance he heard barking and jogged up the path.  He followed the path around the group of trees, and saw the dog jumping up and down out of excitement.
A figure was seen by the animal..  Then he saw the person stroking the dog’s head.
He ran to them slightly out of breath.
Richard felt like he should apologise, as it was a strict rule that you should keep your pet on a lead in a public place.
He reached the dog and crouched down.
“Bad boy.  I keep telling you not to run off like that.  Don’t I,” he said, relieved.
He had totally forgotten about the other person while he patted the dog’s head.
Then a voice said, “I haven’t seen you before.  Do you come here often?”
It was a woman’s voice.
Richard looked up.  “Yes, I come here everyday, always at the same time.”
He noticed how pretty she was.  She had pale skin with rosy cheeks, and long dark hair which curled a little at the bottom.
“That’s odd,” said she, confusion on her face.  She glanced at her watch.  “That explains it.”
“What do you mean?” asked Richard, intrigued.
For some reason she was looking all about her, when finally she shouted, “Goldie.”
Then she whistled using two fingers.
Straightaway a golden Labrador flew out of the clump of trees heading towards them, while it barked.
Richard was surprised.  
“I think we both have a thing for Labradors.”
She laughed, then replied, “Yes, I agree.  Same colour coats as well.  What a coincidence.”
“So, what is the big mystery of why you are running a few minutes late?” asked he in a friendly manner.
She glanced his way with a smile on her face, and said, “Well, if I remember correctly, I was listening to the radio when a song I hadn’t heard for a very long time, came on.”
Richard was bemused by this.  “And that is the reason you’re running late?”
She looked embarrassed, before saying, “I know, a bit of a silly reason.  But if it wasn’t for that song, then I wouldn’t of met you.”
Richard peered into her pale blue eyes.
Then he realised it was time to move on.  Since his wife he had not been with anyone else.  He looked up at the trees, and occasionally a leaf would fall to the ground.  And to the left of him the summer flowers were beginning to wither in the colder conditions.  But next year they would bloom, as life would go on.
He turned to her, and a little nervously he said, “Would you like to go out for a drink with me sometime.  If that is okay with you?”
The two Labradors sniffed each other, making strange noises whilst doing it.
She answered, “Yes, I would like that very much.”
“What is your name?” asked he.
“Natalie,” she said while she giggled.
“What a lovely name, he said.

………………………………................................................................................................

Richard knelt down onto the grass, a tear in his eye.  
He had seen it coming for the last month or so.  It was still a shock though.
In front was a small wooden cross which he’d dug into the ground.  And stuck to it was a photograph of his beloved pet.
He loved that dog so much.  The light which was once seen in its eyes had faded fast.  And Richard knew the poor animal didn’t have much time left.  He had preyed for the dog to get well, and tragically it never happened.
The dog had passed away the day before, and he had buried it that morning.
He peered longingly at the photo, and with a lump in his throat, said, “I will miss you, boy.  And I swear I will never forget you for as long as I breathe.  You came to me in my darkest hour, when my life had fallen apart, and with your help warm soothing light could be felt once again amidst the shadows.  And today I have buried a good friend, who I love with all my heart.  Goodbye.”
He felt a hand on his shoulder and looked up surprised.
Natalie his wife stood there, with a sad look on her face
And she said, “He was a lovely dog, and we will all miss him terribly.”
Richard got up and cuddled her.  Then both made their way to the house.
Shortly after the snow began to fall.
From a patch of grass near to where the cross stood a faint light floated effortlessly into the air.  Within moments it had taken the shape of a woman.
Then she vanished.

                    The End.

© 2013 steve


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This was a heartfelt story Steve. I would have to agree with Marie that sometimes sentences read a little awkward and you can iron those creases out with a little bit of re-arrangement during your edits.
I find 'said she' or 'said he' sounds so much better if you swap it round to just 'he said'. But hey, that could be me just being picky! Just trying to offer something constructive - I really enjoyed the story, well done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

steve

11 Years Ago

From now on I will keep it simple, he said!!! Lol



Reviews

This was a heartfelt story Steve. I would have to agree with Marie that sometimes sentences read a little awkward and you can iron those creases out with a little bit of re-arrangement during your edits.
I find 'said she' or 'said he' sounds so much better if you swap it round to just 'he said'. But hey, that could be me just being picky! Just trying to offer something constructive - I really enjoyed the story, well done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

steve

11 Years Ago

From now on I will keep it simple, he said!!! Lol
You'r writing is getting so much better Steve. Your earlier stories were full of awkward phrasing, but I knew then that you had imagination and potential. Now your writing is smooth and professional.
I would suggest one thing: a sentence like "By the animal a figure was seen" would sound better as "A figure was seen by the animal." "She then vanished" would sound btter as "Then she vanished."

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

steve

11 Years Ago

Thanks, Marie. I think it's practice. I haven't been on here much in the last two or so weeks, but.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

362 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 6, 2013
Last Updated on February 6, 2013

Author

steve
steve

Norwich



About
Hi, I hope you enjoy my short stories. I've been writing for sometime now, and thoroughly enjoy it. To be honest, I find it quite addictive. Even when I'm at work I am thinking about the next story.. more..

Writing
Family Family

A Story by steve


Lockdown Lockdown

A Story by steve


Evil Elves Evil Elves

A Story by steve