Return Of The Flower

Return Of The Flower

A Story by steve
"

A woman loses her son in tragic circumstances.

"
                                             Return Of The Flower


They approached Sean with angry looks on their faces.
He stood in an alley which was some distance away from the busy street.  He was very scared and didn’t know what to expect.  
The four young men wore baseball caps.  They talked amongst themselves.
Then one said, “What makes you think you can walk through here?”
From his coat pocket he pulled out a knife.
“I haven’t done anything wrong,” Sean said, knowing things were only going to get worse.
The youth then kicked a nearby dustbin, making it rattle loudly.
“You shouldn’t of come down here,” he snarled, waving the knife about in a threatening sort of manner.
The other three started laughing.
There was no escape.
“Please let me go,” he pleaded.
Sean knew he was trapped, as behind him was a brick wall which was too high to climb over.  He could hear the London traffic, and apart of him wished he was in the safety of others, away from this troublesome situation.  He took two steps back, and they took three steps forward.  
The one which held the knife, then said, “You should’ve obeyed by the rules.  Now you must pay.”
Sean knew he was a dead man, but he wasn’t giving up that easy.  His friends were long gone, but there was still hope.
“I’m not scared of you,” he answered, trying to look brave, while he stared at the knife that dangled in the air.
The youth laughed, before saying, “You are a cocky sod.  You know that, don’t you.  But you’re still going to get it.”
This is when Sean came to the decision that he should make a run for it.  He punched the one holding the knife hard in the face, and kicked the man standing beside him in the balls.  Both fell to the ground.  The other two just stood there with confused looks.
He ran with as much speed as he could muster down the alley, heading in the direction of a more populated area.  He could hear the group behind him as they shouted abuse.  His adrenaline pumped more than he’d ever known.  His heart rate was off the scale.
Sean gave a quick look behind him, and they seemed to be catching him up.
Please god.  Help me.
Then in front of him he saw the end of the alley, and in a little opening he could see many people walking by.
I’m so close, he kept thinking.
Nearer it got.
Hope was felt.
All of a sudden he heard something that sent a chill through him.  And as he had expected his whole body began to feel numb.  His legs became weak and he fell to the hard concrete.  He smacked his head, and a throbbing sensation was felt.  He peered up absolutely terrified.  All four looked down at him with smiles on their grotesque faces.  Then in the hand of one a gun was seen.  
“You shouldn’t of come down here.  Now you are a dead man.”
Sean started shaking, and looking at his hands he realised they were drenched in red.  His body felt weaker as the seconds grew.  

………………………………................................................................................................ 

Helen glanced out of the window, and all she saw were tower blocks everywhere, as they reached the heavens above in all their glory.  
She had lived in this great city all of her life, and she knew that crime on a daily basis was becoming an apparent problem.  This thought petrified her very much, because she would worry about her teenage son every time he left the house.  Concerned that something bad would happen to him.  
She peered at the clock on the wall.  
He should’ve been back by now.  Where the hell was he?
She started getting a little worried.  She bit her nails nervously knowing she was being silly.  At any moment now the front door would open and he would come in with a big grin on his face and apologise for being late.
The phone rang suddenly and Helen jumped out of her skin.
She went to the phone and picked it up.
“Hello,” she said, her hands sweaty.
………………………………................................................................................................

Tears streamed from her eyes, while she laid on the bed.  From below a door banged, then she heard footsteps running up the stairs.
She dared not look.  Her heart was broken, ripped apart.  
She heard a voice say, “I’m so sorry.”
It was her sister.
Helen felt a hand on her shoulder and looked round, knowing Harriet was only a metre from her.  
She must of heard the news, and come round immediately.
“I still don’t believe it,” was all Helen cried.  “My darling son.”
Harriet began to weep.  “I am so sorry.  I just don’t know what to say.”
They cuddled each other.  Two hearts now broken.
The bedroom became darker as the evening was now drawing in.   Harriet made her way to the switch on the wall and turned the ceiling light on.
It was 6.17pm.
The moon was observed through the window, and a fog was descending onto the street below.
She looked at Helen on the bed, still shaking from the news that her only son was found dead only a short distance from here.
“I came the moment I heard,” Harriet said, moving closer to the bed.
“Why?  Why did this happen?” cried Helen, sobbing uncontrollably.
Harriet knew why, and this is what worried her.
“I don’t know,” was all she said, while she joined her sister on the bed. 
Both laid there for sometime.  
Finally Harriet said, “We need to sort stuff out.  The funeral I mean.  I don’t mean this minute, but tomorrow we will sort it together.”
Helen was silent.  If the truth be told she was sick of this life now.  Since her b*****d of a husband had left, she had struggled ever since to bring up her beloved Sean, and now this had happened.
“I’ve had enough,” she quietly replied.  “There’s nothing here for me now.”
Harriet was shocked by this, and said, “Please don’t give up.  I love you very much, so don’t talk like that.”
“This life is cruel, and because of this my son who I love very much is now laying on some table.  His life taken from him by some vile individual.  So, before you tell me life is worth living, I think it’s a load of crap, and I’ve had enough,” Helen yelled, getting up from the bed.
Harriet followed her into the hallway, then said, “Don’t be like that.”
Helen turned and faced her, an angry look on her face.  “Be like what.  Please, just leave.”
“No, I’m not going anywhere just in case you do something stupid,” answered Harriet, standing her ground.
“I told you to leave,” Helen shouted.
She got hold of Harriet’s arm and tried to pull her towards the stairs.
All of a sudden Harriet slapped her in the face.
Helen was silent.
“My god.  I’m so sorry,” said Harriet, shocked by what she had done.
Helen fell to the ground while she cried.
Harriet joined her on the floor, and placed two loving arms around her.
“I’m sorry,” was all she said.
Helen didn’t say a thing.

………………………………................................................................................................

The two of them stood in the cemetery.  
The other people that had attended the funeral had now left.
Above, the clouds looked heavy, like a storm was brewing.
She held a single white rose in her hand and glanced at it with a feeling of sadness.
The funeral was thankfully over, but she wasn’t ready to say goodbye to him quite yet.
A drop of cold rain landed on her cheek.
Then her sister said, “Come on, Helen.  It’s time to leave.”
“Okay,” she replied.  “But first I need to do something.”
“Do what you have to do,” said Harriet softly.
Helen knelt down onto the damp grass and placed the flower at the bottom of the gravestone, and said quietly so her sister wouldn’t hear, “If you are there, Sean.  Find a way to come back to me, even if it is only for a moment, so I know you are safe.”
She felt a hand on her shoulder, and peered up.
“Time to leave,” ordered Harriet.
With sorrowed faces both made their way to the front of the graveyard.
………………………………................................................................................................

A few months later.
Ringing was heard from the hallway, and she made her way to the telephone.
“Hello, how can I help you.”
A man’s voice then said, “This is the police.  I hope you don’t mind us ringing you at such a late hour.”
Helen peered at the clock on the wall.  It was 8.37pm.
She replied, “No, that’s fine.  How can I help you, officer?”
He took some time to answer, and shuffling of paper could be heard in the background.  Finally, he said, “We have great news to tell you, Mrs Willowson.  Yesterday morning a witness came forward who saw your son as he was being attacked.  We have the culprits in custody as we speak.  I know your son’s death will never seem fair, but at least the people which caused it can now, if found guilty, spend many years in prison for what they have done.”
Helen was shocked and relieved at the same time.  
“I don’t know what to say,” she answered.  “Everyday when I wake up, all I can think of is my beautiful son, and how I miss him so much.”
“I understand, but at least the people that caused his death will now face a court of law, and if found guilty, they will not be free to roam the streets for a very long time.”
“Thank you for letting me know,” she said. 
“We will send a couple of policemen round in the next couple of days to let you know what is going on.  You are in good hands, so bye for now,” he said.
“Thanks,” she replied, shaking a little from the news.
She put the receiver down.
From her trouser pocket she pulled out a tissue and wiped her eyes.

………………………………................................................................................................

It was the 12th December.
After quite a long time the jury had finally made a decision.
As expected all four were found guilty of the brutal murder of Sean Willowson.
Helen cried, it was all over with.  
She still missed him terribly, and she knew nothing would bring him back.
She noticed something which sent a chill through her.  A few metres away a boy of about fifteen or sixteen stared at her intensely.
Why was he doing this?
Helen decided to ignore him.
Everyone got up from their seats and started making their way out of the court.
Helen followed reluctantly.
Once outside, she took some deep breaths.  There was a chill in the air.  She pulled up her zip.
She watched other people as they made their way to the vehicles parked along the side of the road.  Then in the distance she saw a woman crying, a man was with her as he tried to comfort her.
She felt tired, and decided to head home.
………………………………................................................................................................

Two days later and there was a knock at the door.
“Who could that be,” she muttered, knowing her sister would still be at work.
She headed towards the entrance, and opened it.  Stood in the doorway was a young man.  He wore a red baseball cap.
“Hello,” she said.  “How can I help you?”
The teenager looked agitated about something.
Then Helen recognised him and a shiver came over her.  It was the same boy who she’d seen in court.
“Why are you here?” she asked.  “What have I done to make you hate me so much?”
He banged his fist against the side of the doorway.
Then said angrily, “You got my brother banged up, you b***h.”
She was absolutely shocked.
“But he killed my lovely son,” was all she answered.
“My brother was setup, I tell you.  Your son isn’t as innocent as he seems, I know that for a fact,” he replied angrily, giving her an evil glare.
Helen couldn’t take anymore of this.  How could someone be so cold, to say such a horrible thing.
“Please, leave,” she ordered.
He kicked the side of the doorway, and said, “I will get you, when you least expect it.”
She slammed the door.
She could hear him shouting abuse from outside.
She felt distraught, and ran to the bedroom covering her ears.  Once Helen had reached the bed, she crawled onto it, and lay there for what seemed like hours.

………………………………................................................................................................

The next day she rang her sister and asked her what she should do.
“Go to the police, Helen,” Harriet answered, with a concerned voice.
“I could tell he was upset about his brother, maybe it will come to nothing,” she said.  
She had had enough of police and courts.  
There was silence down the phone, and she waited patiently.
Then Harriet said, “If you won’t go to the police then I bloody will.”
Helen didn’t expect that from her baby sister,  and replied, “Please, let’s not destroy another young life.  He’s clearly upset that his brother is in prison.  I really do think that nothing will happen.  Have faith in me, Harriet.  I beg you.”
She heard Harriet sigh at the other end, before saying, “Well, personally I think you are being stupid.  But it’s your life, Helen.  Promise me one thing, the moment he shows his ugly face, ring the police immediately.”
“I will,” she said.  “I do so miss my darling Sean.  I feel like a big part of me has gone.  Is this normal?”
“Yes.  It will take time,” said Harriet.  “I can tell you’re upset, I will see you in about an hour.  Don’t worry about cooking, I’ll pick up a takeaway, and we can have a girly night in.  How does that sound?”
“It’s just what I need.  Thank you,” was all she said.
She heard some noise from outside, and made her way to the living room window.  She peered out and could see some youngsters walking passed.  They all wore red baseball caps and matching clothes.
Her heart sank.

………………………………................................................................................................

Two days later.
She had to keep herself busy to take her mind off things.  The journey to the shop had been a pleasant one.  The sun on this day shone brightly, and even though it was the month of December the conditions were agreeable.
She made her way into the house, then shut the door.  With a little trouble she carried the two bags full of food to the kitchen.
Once the food had been put away, Helen walked up the stairs heading for the bedroom.  She entered the room and started taking the sheets off her bed so she could put them into the washing machine downstairs.
All of a sudden she heard a bang.  It sounded like the front door slamming.
What the hell was that, she thought.
Helen then grew fearful.  
She dropped the sheets onto the floor, and with care headed towards the hallway.  At the top of the stairs she stopped, and listened.  She couldn’t hear a thing, maybe her imagination was working overtime.
Helen came to the decision to check it out anyway.  Slowly she walked down the stairs.  Halfway down she swore she heard a noise coming from the living room.  Her heart started to race.  Then she remembered the young man who had called round, threatening her.
She was sick of being scared.
With determination she ran down the stairs to face him.  Her adrenaline pumped as she made her way into the living room expecting the troublesome teenager to be there.
The room was empty.
Then she shouted, “You don’t scare me.  Wherever you are hiding, come out and face me.”
A warm breeze blew into the room.  A hand was felt on her back.
She turned round startled.  
No one was there.
This is when she noticed something quite strange.  
A white rose lay by her feet.
She bent down and picked the flower up.  Then in the mirror just above the television she saw something which took her breath away.
Sean’s grinning face was observed for only a split second.  Then he vanished.
Helen now knew he was safe.
“I love you, son,” she said.  “And I will see you soon.”

                                                         The End

© 2013 steve


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Beautiful story. Sean did as his mother asked. When she said "And I will see you soon", does that mean she expects to be killed?

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

steve

11 Years Ago

Thanks, Marie. Well, in my head I expect her to live a relatively long life. But when she does die.. read more
Marie

11 Years Ago

You're welcome.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
1 Review
Added on March 6, 2013
Last Updated on March 7, 2013

Author

steve
steve

Norwich



About
Hi, I hope you enjoy my short stories. I've been writing for sometime now, and thoroughly enjoy it. To be honest, I find it quite addictive. Even when I'm at work I am thinking about the next story.. more..

Writing
Family Family

A Story by steve


Lockdown Lockdown

A Story by steve


Evil Elves Evil Elves

A Story by steve