The Urge

The Urge

A Story by steve
"

A man loses his mum and realises he wants to go out with a bang.

"
                                                          The Urge
His mother ran to him as he played in the garden.  The sun was bright and the temperature was hot.  
She looked horrified, and shouted, “What the hell are you doing?”
He peered up at her, and answered, “What do you mean, mum?”
By his feet was a dead rabbit which he’d cut open.  Blood covered his jeans.
She held a plastic bag and promptly put the dead animal into it, before saying in a very serious tone, “We need to talk, Trevor.  This isn’t normal, darling.  I love you, you do know that don’t you?”
The boy looked up at her with a smile on his face, and said whilst giggling, “I don’t understand, mummy.  What have I done wrong?”
She crouched down so she was the same height as him.  “You mustn’t kill animals.  It’s not normal, sweetheart.  Do you understand.”
Trevor peered at the ground, “I’m sorry, mum.  I promise it’ll never happen again.”
She cuddled him, and whispered in his ear, “I know it won’t, because you’re a good boy.”
She dug a hole in the garden and put the plastic bag in, then covered it with soil.
The two of them then made their way to the house, as his bedtime was soon.
………………………………................................................................................................
His name was Trevor, and his mum had recently passed away.  He adored his mother.  It hurt like hell, never being able to see her again.  
He remembered the day when she first went into hospital and how upset he felt.   Then one day as he sat at home listening to the radio, the phone rang.  He answered it, and it was the hospital.  His mum had got worse in the night.  He put the phone down, and rushed to the car.  
By fifteen minutes he was by her side.  She looked fragile.  He remembered crying a little.  It was so sad.
“Please be alright, mum,” he said.
She didn’t open her eyes.
A nurse came in carrying a red folder.  She stopped at the top of the bed.  
He needed to ask her a question.
“How bad is she?”
The nurse was very pretty, and had lovely black hair. 
She answered him, sadness in her voice, “It’s not looking too good I’m afraid.”
Trevor didn’t like the sound of that at all.  He peered down at his mum, she was so pale.  He then said, “Mum, I don’t know if you can here me or not.  Please get better, because without you I’m nothing.”
His mum didn’t answer, and that scared him.  How would he cope without her being there to support him.  
………………………………................................................................................................
It took another three hours for her to die.
He left the hospital and went straight to the car.  Inside the car he cried and cried.  He felt so empty.  Then across the road he saw a lady with lovely long black hair.  She was very attractive.  He observed her as she crossed the road.  She wore stockings and a short red dress.  This is when he decided to follow her.  The funny thing was, it took his mind off the grief that he was feeling.  He got out of the vehicle, and with an excitement he had not felt for a long time, walked just a few metres behind her.
………………………………................................................................................................
Blood was everywhere.  He stood staring at her, his heart raced and he felt exhilarated.  He stared at her face and her wide open eyes.  He licked his lips, knowing the urge which he had felt for a very long time had been satisfied. 
“Sorry for what I have done, sweet lady,” he said softly.
He left the flat and closed the door quietly so no one would hear, then made his way down the stairs.  When he had reached the entrance, two people, a man and a woman passed him while in conversation.  He walked out onto the street and realised it was now dark.  The moon shone and the stars glittered in the heavens above.  He peered up and said in a sad sort of way, “I will miss you, my darling mother.  But today I have done something which I thought was only a fantasy in my head since I was a child.  Through my love for you, I suppressed it, but now I am free to clench it with both hands.”
He blew a kiss out of respect to the only woman he had ever truly loved.
It was time to leave, so he headed in the direction of the hospital.  It had been a long day and he was extremely tired.
Thirty metres up the road he heard a scream which pierced the air.  Trevor looked back, and out of the building he had just left two people emerged with horrified looks on their faces.  He then realised it was the couple he had observed in the doorway.  
Had they discovered the body already, after this short time?  It seemed unlikely, but at that moment he decided to walk back slowly just to see what all the commotion was about.
A few metres from them he hid in the shadows and listened.  This is what he heard.
“I think I’m going to be sick,” cried the woman.  Then the sound of puke as it hit the concrete.
The man started to laugh and was heard saying, “Yes, you’ve definitely drunk too much, sweetheart.  I must admit my head is spinning, bloody shots.”
She carried on being sick while she bent over holding her head.
Trevor could see they had just left a party as the male wore a very trendy suit, and the woman no older than thirty had the loveliest outfit that showed off her cleavage.  She had blonde hair which reached her cute behind.  He licked his lips.  He then started fantasising about having sex with her.   Suddenly he was grabbed and looked up surprised.
The man stared back at him, and yelled, “Who the f**k are you, you pervert.  What is your problem?”
Trevor began to laugh.  He saw the man clench his fist, but before he could act Trevor pulled out a knife that was hidden in his coat pocket and plunged it deep into the man’s chest.  The man dropped to the ground.  His eyes lifeless.  Blood covered the path.  The woman screamed, and Trevor knew what had to be done.  He approached the lady and swung the weapon at her.  
After a few seconds both lay dead, only a couple of metres from each other.
Thankfully, the street was quiet, and hardly any vehicles travelled down.
He stuck the knife back into his pocket.  Then headed in the direction of where a mate lived which he knew from the army days.  As he had a favour to ask.  His adrenaline pumped and it felt great.  
His mum’s voice was heard saying, “You’re a very bad boy, Trevor.”
He replied, “Sorry, mother.  But tonight I plan to go out with a bang.”  
He smiled to himself.  At the age of forty four he was finally coming alive, and nothing was going to spoil it.
………………………………................................................................................................
He knocked on the door.  He could hear noises from inside the flat and waited patiently.  He hummed a catchy tune that he had listened to on the radio before receiving the call about his mother.  He peered at his watch.  The time was 7.19pm.  
Hurry up, he thought.  I haven’t got all bloody day.
The door opened.  A man with short dark hair stood there, wearing purple pyjamas.  All of a sudden he said, “Trevor, what are you dong here?”
“I need something off you,” he said.  “I think you owe me a few favours, mate.  So, how does this sound?”
The man who was considerably shorter, only standing at five foot three, stared at Trevor, before saying nervously, “Why have you got blood on your coat, what have you been doing?”
Trevor was growing agitated, and said, “Can I come in or not?”
“Yeah, sure,” the man answered, a disappointed look on his face.
Trevor made his way in, walking into the small living room he could see a porno film playing on the thirty-two inch television.  “I see you haven’t settled down yet?”
The man whose name was David, then said, “Leave it, Trevor.  I’m not bloody interested in what you think of me.  Try sorting out your life first.”
Trevor wasn’t interested in arguing with him.  He sat down on the pink sofa, then said, “I see your taste hasn’t changed.”
David looked irritated by that comment, and replied, “It was cheap.  If you need to know, I’m not working at the moment.”
Trevor peered at him.  “Sorry to hear that.”
David scratched his forehead.  He felt tired.  “So, what can I do for you?” he asked.
Now it was time to get down to business.  Trevor glanced his way with a wry grin on his face, and answered calmly, “I need to borrow your gun.”
David seemed horrified by this and took two steps back.  He picked up the remote and turned the television off, and said, “I don’t own a gun, Trevor.”
Trevor got up and walked slowly to him.  “Yes you do.  Now give it to me, or you’ll be sorry.”
David shouted, “Is that a threat.  If it is, then get out of my f*****g place, you b*****d.”
Trevor was sick of this, and lunged for him.  He threw him on the floor, and yelled, “If you won’t give me the bloody thing, I will look in every drawer and kill you with it.  Now give it to me.”
David stayed on the floor with a petrified look on his face.  “What happened to you, mate?  Even after our last mission people noticed you had changed.”
Trevor hit him hard in the ribs.  “Never speak of that.”
“Rot in hell, you psycho,” shouted David.
Trevor grabbed him by the hair and pulled him into the kitchen area.  On the worktop sat a knife.  He picked it up.
David started begging, “Please don’t, mate.”
Trevor sliced his throat open.  “Now you can rot in hell, you ungrateful b*****d.”
His body fell to the floor.
That felt good.  
He went through every drawer.  After a few minutes he found what he was searching for.  “There you are,” he said.  He then left the flat and walked down the stairs humming the same tune from earlier.
Trevor knew exactly where he was heading, because he had some unfinished business.  He couldn’t wait.  
………………………………................................................................................................
He smacked the door, and waited.  He thought he heard someone in the hallway.  Nothing happened.  “Hurry up, you b***h,” he said under his breath, losing patience fast.   A child screamed from inside the house and he could hear a woman’s voice say something.  Then heavy footsteps going up the stairs.  
This time he rang the bell.  He felt a drop of rain on his right cheek.   
The door opened and a woman stood there with an anxious look on her face.  “I told you not to bother me again, you prick,” she said angrily.
Trevor had to think fast, and so he answered, “How’s little Daniel?”
The woman peered back into the hallway, then said, “He’s just gone to bed.  The police said you had to keep away from me.  So why are you here?”
Trevor had a feeling of intense rage as it ran through him.  He needed to calm down.  “Why won’t you let me see my son?  Come on, Jennifer.”
She seemed frustrated, and answered, “Maybe the black eyes which you kept giving me stopped you from seeing your son, this is why we have a restraining order against you.  And after tonight if you think you can see him again, then you can’t, because first thing tomorrow I’m going straight to the police.  So if you know what’s best for you, just get lost.”
He had had enough, it was time for action.  He grabbed her by the throat.  Her eyes wide open through fear.  She tried struggling.  He pushed her with all his strength into the house.  He closed the door and pulled out the gun with a smirk on his face.
She noticed this.  “My god, you’ve really lost it this time.  Wait until I tell the police about this, and you’ll never see your son again.  I promise that.”
“Rot in hell,” he yelled.  He pulled her into the living room and placed the gun at the side of her head.
“No don’t,” she begged.
He pulled the trigger.
He got up and headed for the entrance.  He closed the door and was now back in the hallway.
From upstairs he heard something.  Then ran up.
Was there someone else in the house apart from his beloved son?
He made his way to his ex-wife’s bedroom, and kicked open the door.  Stood by the bed with a phone in his hand was Jennifer’s dad.  
He peered up at Trevor with terrified eyes, and said, “The police are coming as we speak.”
Trevor glanced at him, before saying, “You never liked me, because you thought I was never good enough for your daughter.  There’s one thing you should understand, dear Terry, when you truly despise someone, then killing them is the most beautiful thing.  And I’m going to enjoy this immensely.”
Trevor shot him in the knee caps.   He fell to the floor screaming.  Trevor stared at him for only a second.  He pointed the gun at his head and fired.
Silence.
“Good riddance.”
He ran to the window and peered out and could see flashing lights coming down the road heading towards the house.
He now knew what had to be done.  
He ran to his son’s bedroom, and opening the door he could see the boy of seven sound asleep.  He looked so peaceful as he wore his blue and white pyjamas.  Trevor neared the bed and put a hand on Daniel’s shoulder.  “Wake up, little man.  We’re going on an adventure,” he said softly.
The boy opened his eyes.  A smile appeared on his face.  “Daddy,” he said excitedly.
“Come on, boy.  Are you ready to go on a fun adventure.”
“Yes, that sounds great,” the boy answered, while he jumped out of his bed and ran to the wardrobe.
Trevor watched him with proud eyes while he hurriedly put on some clothes.
Daniel then asked, confusion on his young face, “Is mummy coming?”
“She’s busy.  But she promised she’d join us next time,” was all he answered.
From outside a voice was heard.  “We know you’re in there, Trevor.  Come out with your hands up and I promise no harm will come to you.”
Trevor had an idea.  “Are you ready?” he asked.
Daniel glanced up.  “Yes, daddy.  I’m ready.”
Both walked down the stairs hand in hand.  At the bottom Trevor turned to the boy, and said in a serious tone, “Now we are going to play a game.”
“What sort of game?” he asked, while he peered at his dad who he loved very much.
Trevor pulled out the gun and showed it to Daniel.  
The boy’s eyes instantly widened.  “That’s neat.  Can I have one?”
Trevor laughed, then replied, “When you’re older.  Listen to me, Daniel, as I’m only going to explain this once.”
“Okay, daddy,” the boy said, concentration on his face.
Trevor placed the gun carefully onto the floor and with both arms cuddled his son, while whispering in his ear, “You know I love you very much.  And what people might say about me may be true.  But just remember one thing, my darling boy.  If things had been different, then I would have protected you with all my heart like a proper dad should.”
“I love you too, daddy,” the boy said, kissing him on the lips.
Trevor nearly started to cry, but he couldn’t show weakness.  He had to be strong for the lad.  “Walk to the front door, and promise me you won’t look back.  Once you’re outside walk to the men in their blue uniforms at the other side of the road.  Will you do this for me, Daniel?” he said.
Daniel answered, “I will.  Will I see you outside as well?”
He kissed the boy tenderly on the head.  “Yes, I promise I‘ll be there shortly, with open arms.  Now it’s time to go.”
Daniel got up and proceeded towards the entrance.  He didn’t look back.  He got hold of the handle and pulled it down then made his way through the open door.  Once outside he walked across the road.  He could see many men while they all stared at him.  One man in particular signalled him to come closer.
All of a sudden there was a faint bang behind him.  Daniel turned around and faced the house…and knew he would never see his beloved daddy again.
                                                   The End

© 2013 steve


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Verygood; suspensful and exciting. Even a sociopathic killercan have a heart.

THe ending is a little weak. I'd suggest "All of a sudden there was a faint bang behind him. Daniel turned around and faced the house...and knew he would never see his beloved daddy again.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

steve

11 Years Ago

Thanks yet again, Marie. I enjoyed writing this, it was fun!!!



Reviews

Verygood; suspensful and exciting. Even a sociopathic killercan have a heart.

THe ending is a little weak. I'd suggest "All of a sudden there was a faint bang behind him. Daniel turned around and faced the house...and knew he would never see his beloved daddy again.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

steve

11 Years Ago

Thanks yet again, Marie. I enjoyed writing this, it was fun!!!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
1 Review
Added on March 24, 2013
Last Updated on March 25, 2013

Author

steve
steve

Norwich



About
Hi, I hope you enjoy my short stories. I've been writing for sometime now, and thoroughly enjoy it. To be honest, I find it quite addictive. Even when I'm at work I am thinking about the next story.. more..

Writing
Family Family

A Story by steve


Lockdown Lockdown

A Story by steve


Evil Elves Evil Elves

A Story by steve