The Beast In The Forest

The Beast In The Forest

A Story by steve
"

Two children venture into a forest ignoring the warnings to stay away.

"
                            


                                       The Beast In The Forest

The forest was a place where no one ventured.  There had been many stories told and even the bravest would not go there.  It was a strict rule in all the surrounding villages and towns to stay away.  
Many years earlier, a man did journey into the forest unaware.  Within days his head was found in a not so far away field, but the rest of his body was missing.  At the time this had caused great alarm.  Children were not allowed out, and a panic had taken over.
In front of the forest was a big sign which read, ‘STAY AWAY, PRIVATE PROPERTY’.
Two children, a boy of thirteen, and a girl of fifteen strolled through the big field.  The yellow grass was long and the flowers blossomed in all their many colours in the blazing sun.
Both were aware of the forest, and how they were told at a very young age to keep away.  They could see its shadowy form in the far distance.
The boy whose name was Jonathan stopped, then looked nervously ahead.
“What’s wrong?” asked the girl, her name was Emma.
Jonathan peered at her.  “Let’s turn back.  I’ve heard horrible things about that place.”
Emma laughed, before saying, “You don’t honestly believe them silly stories, do you?”
Jonathan felt embarrassed, but the stories which his parents had told him about that place petrified him.  They said that deep in the forest a creature of great evil lurked.  At first he laughed not believing a word of it.  Then he saw their faces, and with utter horror realised they were being serious.  “Didn’t your parents tell you about the monster?” he asked.
Emma giggled, and answered, “Yes, and I didn’t believe it.”  Why would she believe such nonsense.  “I’ll tell you something shall I.  I’m going in there, and I bet nothing happens to me.  It’s a load of rubbish.”
He couldn’t understand how someone could be so stupid.  “You’re an idiot.  The moment you go in there, you’re dead.”
Emma turned in his direction cackling, then she ran around in circles shouting, “I’m not scared of that silly forest and I’m not scared of that silly ugly monster either.”  She stopped, and said, “So, are you coming with me?”
“No, why would I do something so stupid?” he replied, unimpressed with her making fun of him.
She kicked some grass, and glanced his way, then said, “No one wants to have fun.  I hate living in that village, where everyone knows your business.  I hate it I tell you, and I’ve had enough.”  Emma picked up a stone and threw it as far as she could across the field.  “And I hate you as well.”
“Don’t be like that,” he said.
Emma looked his way and brushed a hand through her dark hair.  “Well, if you want to make it up to me, then let’s have some proper fun and go into the forbidden forest.”
He didn’t like the idea at all.  Some of the things he had heard about that place sent shivers through him.  “Please, Emma, be sensible.”
She turned her back on him and crossed her arms, before replying, “Then I will go in there on my own, because unlike you I’m not scared to take risks.”
He knew for a fact that Emma wasn’t fond of the dark, so a few steps into the place and she would be the one who would change her mind and want to leave.  Maybe he should just play along.  To fall out with her over such a trivial matter seemed rather stupid.
“Okay, I’ll come, but the moment something happens we’ll be out of there like a shot,” he said, with a serious look.
A smile appeared on her face, and she answered, “It’ll be fun.  Just wait and see, before long you’ll be having the time of your life.”
The two of them then sprinted across the field heading for the forest with gleeful looks on their youthful face.
A few metres ahead was the great forest with its many tall trees that caused a shadow on the field which was so dark and cold, it made both shudder.  They faced each other.
“Have you changed your mind?” he asked, already feeling the lack of sun on his skin.
She glanced into the darkness quivering a little, before answering, “I’m scared, but I’m not a chicken.  So, are you coming?”
Jonathan hated situations like this, but back home all he had to look forward to was stacks of mundane homework.  “Yeah, let’s do it.”
Cautiously they proceeded to a little opening in between the trees, while holding hands.
Some twigs brushed their faces as they entered.  A pathway could be seen so the two of them followed it reluctantly.  The more they walked the gloomier it became.  After some minutes the path was beginning to vanish at their feet.
The crunch of dry mud was the only noise they could hear as their shoes treaded on it softly.  Then in the far distance a small faint light was observed.
Jonathan faced her with a serious look in his eyes, and said, “My parents told me that a monster lives in these woods, and by the light over there it proves that someone is in here with us. Don’t you see it?”
“See what, all I’ve seen is a light which proves absolutely nothing.  Let’s just see what it is, and if it’s something we don’t feel comfortable about, then we’ll both get out of here pronto.  Deal.”
Jonathan hated the idea, but agreed with her to keep the peace. 
She smiled at him.  “You’re such a gentleman, and this is why I love you.”  She pecked him on the cheek softly.
He blushed, not expecting that at all.  “Thanks,” was all he said.
He walked a couple of metres behind her, feeling a little nervous if the truth be told.  
They stayed silent, proceeding carefully ahead towards the mysterious light which was now getting closer with every step.  
Jonathan could now make out small flames through the growth.  “So there is someone else about.”
“I can‘t imagine who would choose to live here.  And I promise you, Jonathan, it’s certainly no monster as our parents kept telling us as children.”
“I think this is dangerous,” he answered.
“Just take my hand, I’ll look after you,” she said confidently.
He got hold of her hand and his heart raced.  
Taking it carefully both made their way towards the fire, not knowing what to expect next.  When they felt they were close enough for a proper look the two of them crouched behind a not very tall hedge.  They were silent while both watched with eager eyes.  No one could be seen.  
All of a sudden a strange sound was heard just in front of them.  
Emma gave him a look which meant something wasn’t quite right, and replied, “Did you hear it?”
“Hear what?”
Then the noise was heard again.  It seemed to come from near the fire, and it sounded like a scraping sound which was slowly getting louder and louder.
Jonathan was now aware of this, and said a little frightened, “What the hell is that, Emma?  I told you we should’ve stayed away from this hellish place.”
Emma then noticed something that sent shivers up her spine.  She looked on with pure horror as the ground seemed to move, like someone was trying to dig themselves out.  A hand appeared out of the earth, followed by another hand, then a long pale arm.  Emma gasped, her heart was beating more than she’d ever known.  She couldn’t believe what she was seeing with her own eyes.  A leg, a long skinny leg, followed by the other.
“I’m petrified,” said Jonathan, knowing all along this was a bad idea, but now it was too late.  Whatever this thing was they had awakened it.  “Let’s make a run for it.”
Emma couldn’t help but watch, with terrified eyes, at the thing that was standing only a few metres from them.  She saw the creature wore a long dark coat which reached its knees.  Then the thing turned in their direction and sniffed a couple of times.  She put a hand to her mouth out of shock.  The face was pale and covered in deep wrinkles, and the eyes were like dark slits.
It sniffed three more times, then said in a croaky sort of way, “What delights do we have in the forest tonight.  As I smell something different.”  It licked its lips, and peered around, rubbing its hands together.
Jonathan whispered in her ear, “What should we do, Emma?”
“I don’t know.  Maybe we should make a run for it.  What’ve we got to lose.”
There was an odd smell which made them feel queasy.  Emma gave the sign to run, and so they did as fast as their legs could carry them.  Emma was easily in front of Jonathan as she had the advantage of being taller than him, which meant her stride was just that little bit longer.  All of a sudden there was a scream, turning round she observed Jonathan flat on his face, as he must of tripped.  He didn’t move.  Then she noticed the creature with a delighted look on its face while it floated along the narrow path, its feet an inch above the ground.
“Leave us alone,” she shouted, as she headed back to where her friend was.
It was too late.
Emma watched as the beast was now a metre from him.  It gave her a satisfied look before picking the boy up, then with one sharp fingernail it ripped the boy’s throat out, blood gushing down his jumper.
Emma screamed louder than she’d ever done before.  
Jonathan lay on the grass and mud, his eyes wide and lifeless, red spilling from his mouth.
The creature peered at her, and snarled, “I will have great pleasure in feeding on his corpse, once my belly is ready to consume.”
She tried not to cry, but warm tears flooded her eyes, and she used a hand to wipe them away.  “Why?” she said.  “Why kill him, he did nothing to you?”
The creature tapped the boy’s shoulder, then with a leer on its face peered back up at the girl, and replied, “Food.  But it’s your lucky night young girl, as I will let you go free, because this body which lays at my feet will feed me for many days.”
She fell to the ground, her knees hitting the mud hard.  “But he was my friend, my only proper friend.”  She heard the beast while it laughed, then said, “I will not leave him.”
“I can smell your fear, and it smells wonderful,” it said, rubbing its hands together.  
The monster opened its mouth and Emma noticed many sharp teeth, then it started eating the flesh.
Emma couldn’t take anymore, and fleeing as fast as she could she headed up the path which would finally take her to the little opening.  While she ran all she could think of was Jonathan, and how it was all her fault.  She reached the opening, and peering out into the dark field she was startled to see many little lights close by.
Then with sheer delight she realised help was here.
She rushed out of the forest and headed in the direction of where a crowd stood.  Even though it was dark she could make out certain faces that she found familiar from the slight light from the lanterns which they held.  “Please, please,” she pleaded, running towards them.  
A man’s voice then shouted, “My god, is that you Emma?”
She turned and could see her daddy running through the crowd towards her.
He put two strong arms around his precious daughter, and said, “Thank you god, for sparing my child.”
“I love you, dad.  And I’m so sorry for what I have done.”
Both wept.
………………………………................................................................................................

A few days later.
The sun shone brightly overhead, the long yellow grass glistened under its rays.
And the laughing of children could be heard in one of the nearby fields while they played contently.
From the safety of the forest it watched them licking its lips.  It had a plan.  Once it gets dark it will venture into one of the towns and search for bigger things to feed on.  It hadn’t left this place for countless years, but it was now ready.  It stared at the little girl in the group while she ran about, and it reminded the monster of the girl from some days back..  And the beast still had her scent.  
“I let you go free, but as darkness consumes the land I will find you, dear lady.  And I can’t wait.”
The creature then decided to head back into the shadows of the forest, because it was hours before night time would arrive.
It turned its back on the field, and taking its time made its way along the narrow path.  Suddenly an intense pain was felt, and the creature dropped to its knees.  Then with sheer horror it noticed an arrow sticking out of its chest.  But what petrified the beast more than anything else, the arrow was covered in hot flames which sent an agonising pain through its whole body.  Footsteps were heard behind it, and it said, “Who are you that invades my home.”  It could feel liquid being poured all over its body.
A man’s voice then said, “A life for a life.  You killed my son, and now you’ll die at the hands of his father.”
The creature tried to turn its head, but the pain was too much.  Then the sound of a match as it was thrown onto the beast.  Fire was everywhere as it screamed.  With difficulty it done its best to crawl along the path away from the intruder.  Within seconds its body lay in flames.  
The man looked on, and began to cry, “That’s for you, Jonathan.  And I’m so sorry I wasn’t there to protect you when you needed me the most.”
From his coat pocket he pulled out a knife, and with determination cut the beast’s head off.  Then he left the forest with a saddened heart, heading home to care for his wife who he loved very much.

                                                
                                                  The End

© 2013 steve


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The first paragraph needs to be indented. In the beginning you do a lot more telling as opposed to showing.
This was a pretty basic idea and I was looking for you to do something very interesting with it. It's clear to me that you have great writing skill as I read the whole thing through but the plot wasn't really there for me. The ending seemed a little out of no where for me, I was really looking for a twist ending of some sort. Well you skill was great in this but it was lacking. I'm sure your other works are much better. Keep writing! ^^

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

steve

11 Years Ago

Thanks for your review, and yes I agree, the story was weak, but I still enjoyed writing it.



Reviews

The first paragraph needs to be indented. In the beginning you do a lot more telling as opposed to showing.
This was a pretty basic idea and I was looking for you to do something very interesting with it. It's clear to me that you have great writing skill as I read the whole thing through but the plot wasn't really there for me. The ending seemed a little out of no where for me, I was really looking for a twist ending of some sort. Well you skill was great in this but it was lacking. I'm sure your other works are much better. Keep writing! ^^

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

steve

11 Years Ago

Thanks for your review, and yes I agree, the story was weak, but I still enjoyed writing it.
Steve, this is too long. You need to find a different ending.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

steve

11 Years Ago

2nd version done.
Marie

11 Years Ago

Steve this is better. But it still doesn't work as well as stories you've written in the past.
steve

11 Years Ago

Having an off week. But many thanks for your comments. x

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 14, 2013
Last Updated on April 18, 2013

Author

steve
steve

Norwich



About
Hi, I hope you enjoy my short stories. I've been writing for sometime now, and thoroughly enjoy it. To be honest, I find it quite addictive. Even when I'm at work I am thinking about the next story.. more..

Writing
Family Family

A Story by steve


Lockdown Lockdown

A Story by steve


Evil Elves Evil Elves

A Story by steve