Playing A Dangerous Game

Playing A Dangerous Game

A Story by steve
"

A woman takes revenge.

"
                               Playing A Dangerous Game

Susan sat in the grey room alone and scared.  She couldn’t believe what had happened to her.  The thought still made her shudder.  It had occurred earlier that night, and she was still in a state of shock.  He had come across as friendly, but she didn’t realise at the time that it was all an act just to gain her trust.  An hour after the vile act was over with, she knew what had to be done.  She realised with great horror that a lot of people would probably not believe her, as the man who’d raped her was popular and played in the local football team.  Susan shivered from the chill, and wrapped her arms around her to keep her warm.  “Why?” she asked herself.
What the hell did she do to deserve this?
The metal door at the far end of the room opened and a woman with a kind face made her way in, carrying a folder.
Susan looked up, and the woman who was in her forties came nearer.
And she said in a very calm manner, “What you’ve been through is very serious, and I think you’re extremely brave.”  She then sat down on a nearby chair, while opening up the folder which now lay on her lap.
Susan needed to ask her something, “So, what happens now?”
The woman glanced up at her, and answered, “We need to examine you.  Is that okay?”
“Yes,” was all she replied.  
The woman then said, “We’re on your side, so don’t be scared.”
Susan closed her eyes, then the tears came.

………………………………................................................................................................

She slammed the door and still couldn’t believe what had happened.  It was so unfair.  Everyone in the court especially the jury didn’t believe a single word she said.  And his face when the verdict was finally given, and that arrogant smile when their eyes met across the room would haunt her for evermore.
Susan threw her coat onto the floor and ran into the living room.  Once she was on the sofa she cried and cried.  
Within an hour all the tears were gone.  Then she heard the doorbell ringing.  She wiped her tired eyes and proceeded to the entrance, hoping it wasn’t reporters, as she’d had enough of them in the last few weeks.
Susan turned the key and opened the door.  Megan stood a metre from the doorway, looking concerned.
“Are you okay?” Megan asked.
“You’d better come in,” was all Susan answered.  She let her in and both made their way to the living room.
Once they were sat down with a nice cup of tea in their hands, Megan said with anger in her voice, “What happened today is absolutely disgusting.”
“Why are you here?  You dumped me, this is why I started dating that creep in the first place.”
“That‘s because you was too scared to tell anyone about us.  Meeting in secret all of the time,” said Megan with saddened eyes.
Susan had no fight left in her, and replied, “Okay.  It was partly my fault.”
Megan brushed a hand through her dark hair.  “We’ll get through this together.”
Susan needed a friend at the moment.  “But what am I supposed to do.  Because he is who he is, with a father who is very successful in his own right.  Why would they believe someone like me who has accomplished nothing in their life.”
Megan came closer, and said, “I think a lot of you, dear Susan.  And you have accomplished a lot.  Don’t think you’re nothing, and I’ll always be there for you, as I love you very much.”  She placed a hand on Susan’s shoulder.
Susan glanced up at her.  “Thank you for coming today, because it means a lot.”
Megan brushed a hand through Susan’s hair, and kissed her tenderly on the lips.
Susan backed away, and said, “I’m so sorry.  But we aren’t together anymore .”
Megan looked disappointed, and replied, “What that b*****d has done to you, will never be forgiven.  And both of us will think of a way to get him back.”
Susan was now getting agitated, and said, “Please, just go, because you’re not helping matters.”
Megan got up, and putting the cup of tea down onto the coffee table, said, “You know where I am, if you need me.  This is a cruel world, and I love you very much.  Think about it.”
She then left.
Susan heard the door slam, and realised Megan had a point.
5 minutes later Susan picked up her mobile and called Megan, needing to ask her something.  
It rang, and Megan said, “I thought you didn’t want to see me anymore, Susan.”
“But there’s one thing I don’t understand.  You split up from me,” she replied, the phone to her ear.
A few seconds silence, then, “I made a mistake.  I now realise this.  Get in contact when you’re ready.”
The phone then cut off.
Susan lay there for hours, not knowing what the coming days would bring.  

………………………………................................................................................................

A few days later and Susan came to the decision that she needed to get back to work.  She knew her co-workers would find it strange, with all which had happened, but she needed to close that certain chapter of her life, and move on.  
When she first walked in they gave her odd stares, and if the truth be told this made her feel uncomfortable.  By the end of the week everything seemed a lot more relaxed, and people were beginning to talk more to her.  After a long period of unease she finally felt like her life was getting back on track.

………………………………................................................................................................

Susan thought long and hard about ringing Megan, but she didn’t feel ready quite yet.  She did realise one thing though, she needed to get back on the horse, and start dating.  

One night as the wind blew hard outside, she went on the internet and joined a dating site which a colleague from work had recommended.  Because she was interested in men and women, she decided to give men another try.  Once she had completed her profile, making a name up and uploading a photo of a woman which wasn’t her, but some glitzy model from one of the women’s magazines.  She was ready to trawl through the many photos.  Some were handsome, and others were average looking.  But Susan would be lying if she said she wasn’t enjoying herself immensely.  
Why should that one man spoil everything.  Because of what he’d done she was not going to hideaway for the rest of her life, scared to go out and do anything.
Her laptop all of a sudden made a strange beeping noise, and a message appeared on the left side of her profile.
“Who could that be?” she said, surprised.
Looking closer she saw a name under the message, ‘MIKELOVING.’
What a terrible username, she thought.
Susan clicked on it, interested to see who would appear.  A photo of a man in his twenties came onto the screen.  He had dark hair and a nice smile, and was very attractive.  She opened the message, and it read. 
Hi, I saw your photograph and I would like to meet you.
Susan felt nervous, but she was only 22 and it seemed a shame to worry about things which weren‘t worth worrying about.  It was all about having fun.  She decided to reply.
The rest of the evening they chatted and Susan for the first time in ages was having a goodtime.  She had work in the morning, so she couldn’t be too late.  It was now 11.30pm and the wind could still be heard, and through the living room window only the blackness of night.  She sent him a message saying she was soon going to bed.  To be honest she did feel tired, and at 7 in the morning she would have to get up.  A beep was heard and it was another message, it read.
Meet me this Saturday, as I really think we’ll get on like a house on fire.
She didn’t know what to do.
By quarter to midnight she had come to a decision.

………………………………................................................................................................

Susan sat in the dark, the curtains drawn.  It was Saturday afternoon and the date had been a disaster.  The thing which puzzled her more than anything else wasn’t anything to do with him really, but the moment he touched the lower part of her back all she felt was a cold shudder which ran down the whole of her body.  At the time she felt so uncomfortable she found herself running from the restaurant where they had met only an hour earlier.  Halfway home she stopped in one of the side streets and took some very deep breaths as she had an awful feeling a panic attack was close at hand.  Thankfully, it never came.
Susan looked at a photograph of herself when she was only 15 years of age.  Not a care in the world.
Then she thought back to that night as his dirty hands rubbed certain parts of her body.  She tried to escape, but he was too strong.  She tried hitting him, and with great alarm all he did was laugh.  Then she felt her knickers being pulled down to her ankles.
Susan puked onto the carpet.  “I won’t let you win,” was all she said.  She then began to cry.

………………………………................................................................................................

It took her a few days to get the courage to turn her computer on, and while on the internet she decided to visit the dating site, not really knowing why.  On her profile she pressed a button saying she was offline, so she wouldn’t be interrupted.  
She thought back to her mum before she died of cancer only two years ago.  
“Please mum.  I need you.”
No answer.
Susan knew the first date hadn’t gone at all well, but with practice, and sticking at it, things should in time improve, and that anxiety which she would sometimes feel would slowly go away.  It would take time.  But it was worth it, she thought.
Using her mouse she went through 10 or so pages of photos to see if anyone caught her eye.  At one point her eyes began to ache a little.  By the clock on the wall it was still quite early, only 9.12pm.  Susan rubbed her eyes, then glanced back at the screen, and this is when she noticed a familiar face from one of the many photos.  She ran to the bathroom sick already spilling through her fingers.  When she reached the toilet she landed on her knees and thought only one thing, how could you?
………………………………................................................................................................

She peered at the gun while it sat on the cabinet beside the television.  She had bought it from a dodgy bloke she’d known at school.  Tonight was the night when she would get her revenge.  Her plan was to meet him at a certain location which she had picked, pretending to be a woman who’d taken interest in him on the dating site.  She remembered so clearly how disgusted she would feel afterwards, and how she wished he was dead.  Tonight her wish would come true.  She knew the area well where both were going to meet, knowing it was a quiet road where hardly anyone would roam down.  Susan peered at the clock, it was nearly time.
Maybe after tonight she would ring Megan, and start over.

………………………………................................................................................................

Susan waited patiently while she stood under a tree next to the path.  Shadows covered her, and she had done this on purpose, as she didn’t want him to be aware of who she was straightaway.  The sky promised rain, and thankfully the weather had been calm so far.  Further up the road a vehicle was seen as it parked on the other side, then a figure got out.
It was him, she was sure of it.
She watched this person while they made their way towards her.  It had to be him.  Her heart began to beat quicker.
The moment he spotted her he came closer with a smile on his face.  In his right hand he held some red roses.
“Hello, darling.  At last we meet.  And if you’re as pretty as your photo then I’m a very lucky gent indeed,” he said.
Slimy b*****d, she thought.
She could feel the gun sitting in her inside coat pocket, and she couldn’t wait to put a bullet in his head.
“So, don’t you talk, my dear.  Tonight will be the best night of your life.  I promise you that,” he said as he got about seven metres from her.
She proceeded with caution out of the shadows, watching him closely.  She noticed an odd look come over his face.
Then she said, “What’s wrong, you seem puzzled about something?”
He scratched the top of his head, and replied, “You aren’t the woman from the photo, so who the hell are you?”
She could feel her fingers around the weapon, and answered, “Look closer.”
He dropped the flowers onto the pavement, then an angry look came over his face, before yelling, “You f*****g b***h, you tried to set me up.  I recognise you now, and you’ve made a grave mistake in coming here tonight.”
Susan laughed, she had waited so long for this, “No, you’re the one who’ve made a mistake.”
She pulled out the gun and pointed it at him.
He snarled, “You haven’t got the balls.”
She shouted back, “Yes I have.”
“You snivelling slag.  I remember that night well.  And trust me you haven’t got the balls to use that thing.  I could tell that night you were a pathetic loser,” he answered.
“I hate you so much,” she yelled, her finger on the trigger.
He kicked the flowers into the road.  “Then do it.”
Then something happened which worried her.  It felt like her body was paralysed.  Please, god.  She saw him getting closer, a leer on his twenty-something face.  She could smell his breath and it made her gag.
“I told you, slag.  You haven’t got the balls,” he said.
All of a sudden a hand was around her throat squeezing hard.  She couldn’t breath.  She tried to shout out for help, then realising the street was deserted.  What seemed like a good plan was now becoming her worst nightmare.  He threw her to the concrete.
He started undoing his flies.  “I know your game.  You enjoyed it so much the first time round, you only had to ask.”
“No,” she shrieked, trying to drag herself away.  She could feel her trousers being pulled down her legs, and his rotten breath in her face.
He forced the gun off her, then threw it onto the road, before saying, “There goes your only hope.  And I’m going to make you suffer, you pathetic b***h.”
It felt like that night again as she pleaded with him to stop.  She tried grabbing his face, and he laughed at her in a mocking sort of way.
The moon appeared from behind some storm clouds, and this is when she thought she saw a figure standing above the man.  All of a sudden he screamed out in pain while he held his head with an agonising look on his face.  Again something long and hard smacked him around the skull.  He lay still.  Susan tried to push him off her, when finally she did.  She looked up at the person who had saved her.
Then a familiar voice said, “This is a cruel world, and I love you very much.  And this time he won’t get away with it, as I saw everything.”
Out of the darkness appeared Megan.

                                                             The End

© 2013 steve


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

THis is very good and very interesting. But I don't understand why Susan was such a foolish girl. GOng to meet a man from a dating site, after what had already happened to her wasn't very smart.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

steve

10 Years Ago

Thanks, Marie. I think she was scared of being on her own, and even though what happened to her was.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
1 Review
Added on May 16, 2013
Last Updated on June 11, 2013

Author

steve
steve

Norwich



About
Hi, I hope you enjoy my short stories. I've been writing for sometime now, and thoroughly enjoy it. To be honest, I find it quite addictive. Even when I'm at work I am thinking about the next story.. more..

Writing
Family Family

A Story by steve


Lockdown Lockdown

A Story by steve


Evil Elves Evil Elves

A Story by steve