Adam

Adam

A Story by steve
"

A boy who has special abilities uses them to hurt bad people.

"
                                          Adam


She looked straight at the creature while it licked its lips.  She knew exactly where she was as she’d done something which she now regretted.  How could she have been so selfish.
“I will beat you,” she said intensely.  “Even if it kills me.”
The creature smiled, as if it was amused by something.  Then it answered, “You’re in hell for a reason.  What you did is despicable.  You’ll never be forgiven for that.”  The demon held her down and opening its mouth began to puke on her face.
“Stop, I beg you,” she screamed.  Then something happened that confused the demon.  Tears fell from her eyes.
It let go of her, not understanding what had just happened.  “Why does rain fall from your eyes?”
She didn’t know herself, but answered, “Because the light that comes for me and the strange being with it tells me things about myself which I’ve never realised until now.”
The creature stood up rubbing its scaly forehead, and said in a baffled sort of way, “But you were sent here for a reason.  This doesn’t make sense.  Unless they have another plan for you now.”
It left the room leaving her all alone while she sat on the hard concrete contemplating what the hell was going on.  “Am I finally forgiven for the atrocities that I caused on others dear to me,” she quietly said to herself.
Within a blink of an eye she was reborn.  This time born as a boy by the name of Adam.

………………………………................................................................................................

Adam had matured fast.  By the age of five he was already a quick learner.  By the age of ten he was the highest in his class, achieving the best grades out of everyone in his school.  Some didn’t like him, and a lot of the time he pretended he didn’t care.  But if the truth be told, he cared too much as sometimes while laying in bed at night he would cry for hours, not understanding why others weren’t more like him.  But he grew up fast, needing to really.  As a young child he remembered it well, the odd looks from his father.  The man he should of respected, but he didn’t.  His dad worked at a supermarket ten miles away.  Not the best job in the world.  The wages were crap.  And Adam while in bed hearing his father stagger into the house pissed out of his head, would feel so ashamed.  Then there would be a smack.  His mother would be heard crying from the bedroom, and she would shout, “I can’t believe you would do that to me.  I want a divorce this second.”  Then another smack.  Silence.
Adam felt so alone most of the time.  One night a light appeared through the glass of the window.  With it came a being with long wings, and it said, “Your name years ago was Caroline, now you’re Adam.  You want to change this world for the better.  Don‘t you?”
He didn’t know what to say, but he was sick of seeing his mum being beaten up all of the time.  “I want to help people that are in trouble.  I’m scared though.”
The thing came nearer, interest on its face.  “Why are you scared, child?”
“Sometimes I get so angry, that I want to hurt people,” Adam replied, feeling ashamed.  He turned his back on the mysterious stranger.  A tear welled up in his eye.  He wiped it away.  He felt a hand on his shoulder, in his ear he could hear the thing whisper, “I can read your thoughts, child.  The people that disgust you are the bad people.  The ones which pick on others.  The ones that steal, murder.  Am I right?”
“Yes,” was all he said.  “How do you know so much?”
“Because I’m the same as you.  Remember one thing, child.  Whatever you may see in this world, leave it be.  Don’t get involved, as you’ve been given a second chance.  It’s a miracle you are here in the first place.  Do well, and have a nice life, my fallen sister.”
He turned back towards the stranger.  No one was there.  The curtain moved a little.  Adam noticed the window was slightly ajar.  He ran to it, then shut it, peering out into the darkness all he could see were many lights from nearby buildings.  Then he heard a door open from downstairs.  Daddy was home.

………………………………................................................................................................

It had happened by accident while at school one Tuesday morning.  As Adam made his way down the long corridor he didn’t see the much feared older boy coming towards him.  Next thing he was aware of was being pushed into a wall.
Then the boy said in a very intimidating sort of way, “You’re that weird kid who’s good at maths.  I hate pupils like you, who look down on everyone.  So, what’ve you got to say about that?”
Adam looked at him and felt pity, and replied, “I can feel your pain.  And I do sympathise with your predicament.”
The boy who stood a couple of inches taller grabbed him by the coat and dragged him into the toilet area.  Inside he pushed Adam against a cubicle door.  
“I’m going to wash your dirty mouth out with my pee,” yelled the boy.  He started undoing his flies.
Adam was tiring of this now.  He imagined with much delight the boy slipping over and smacking his head hard against one of the nearby sinks.  The boy came closer with an angry look on his face.  Then by accident he lost his balance like someone had pushed him.  He tried grabbing Adam with no luck.  He fell backwards hitting the side of a sink.  He now lay on the floor blood gushing from the back of his head.
Adam watched for only a few seconds.  Then he made his way out of the toilets with a smile on his face.

………………………………................................................................................................

When he got home he was in a good mood.  He went straight up into his bedroom.  He placed his bag onto the cabinet beside the television.  From down the stairs he could hear his mother in the kitchen.  She was whistling to herself.  Dad would be home soon, unless he was going to the pub first to get drunk.  In his mind he imagined his father driving along the road while he listened to the radio.  Then with sheer glee he imagined a meteorite crashing into the car causing the vehicle to explode.
Adam giggled to himself.  I wish, he thought.  
He walked to the bed and got on it.  Within a few seconds he’d fallen asleep.

………………………………................................................................................................

At his dad’s funeral not many turned up, which wasn’t a surprise really.  His mother stood at the graveside crying uncontrollably.  
“Mum, I swear everything will be all right,” he said glancing up at her.
She didn’t look back, but said negatively, “I loved him so much.  Without him I’m nothing.”
Adam was confused.  “But mummy, I thought daddy wasn’t very nice at times, especially to you.”
She turned her head to him and said something that he’d never forget.
“I loved him with all my heart.  Now he’s dead I wish the same to myself.”
Adam realised what had to be done.

………………………………................................................................................................

The children’s home wasn’t the most ideal place to live.  Since his mum’s death he was starting to feel rather annoyed about a lot of things.  Maybe it was him who had caused these bad things to happen.  He missed his mother dearly, this was something he would always regret, because he loved her so much.  Now she was somewhere up there flying with the angels.  
“I wish I didn’t imagine you dying now, drowning in your own bed with no one to comfort you apart from me.  The one who caused this to happen in the first place.”  He cried alone in his room, away from prying eyes.

………………………………................................................................................................

A month later something unexpected occurred at the home.  A boy who was known as a bit of a bully jumped off the roof one chilly February morning.  His body was found near enough straightaway by the caretaker, who rang the police immediately.

………………………………................................................................................................

“Do you ever wish certain people that you hate dead,” Adam asked innocently enough to a boy he had made friends with in the last few days.
The boy whose name was Jonathan laughed, like a rude joke had been told.  “Not really.  Why?”
“Because when I get out of here I’m going to travel the world and make the world a better place, as I believe this is the right thing to do,” he said confidently.
“I met someone once who made me feel terrible,” said Jonathan while wiping his left eye.  “If I had the power I would use it to protect people like me.”
Adam smiled, then answered, “So there are some in the world that would approve of what I was doing.  Thank you, friend.”
The other boy glanced up a little confused.  “What did I do?”
Adam placed a hand on the boy’s shoulder.  “For now I’m on the right path, and I’ll carry on with what has to be done.  You made my mind up as for sometime I was losing faith.”
“I’m happy I could help,” Jonathan answered, a big smile on his face.

………………………………................................................................................................

Some days later a man who visited the home regularly was found dead.  He was only forty two.  From what the rumours had said he’d died in his sleep.  Shortly after, the police found disturbing images of children on his laptop.  Then some of the children at the home came forward saying that he’d abused them.
Around this time Adam decided to leave because he had important work to do..  He looked back only once at the building which had been his home for only a short time. “Farewell, as now my journey will take me to new pastures.  And with it bad people will suffer under my power.”
All of a sudden a scream was heard from inside the house, followed by the woman who was in charge of the place rushing out of the front entrance with a knife in her hand.  She seemed terrified like she wasn’t in control of herself.  She placed the blade to her throat.
“Good riddance, b***h,” he snarled.
She fell to the ground blood gushing from the wound.
He then made his way down the road while whistling a happy tune.

………………………………................................................................................................

Many years had passed.  He could feel them getting closer.  This worried him a lot.  Why punish me when I’m doing such good things.  Sometimes while asleep he would dream, and in these pleasant dreams he would have wings.  He would fly high above the Earth watching everyone.  Then he would open his eyes and feel all alone.  

………………………………................................................................................................

The evil b*****d was dead.
Adam helped the young girl out of the hole.  Then said while staring at her straight in the eyes, “I’m so sorry for what happened to you.”
She seemed shocked by the whole ordeal, and answered reluctantly, “Please don’t hurt me, mister.”
“I’m here to help you,” was all he said, giving her a smile.
He took her hand.  Both made their way up the dark stairs.  At the top was a doorway, and from this some light shone down onto the upper steps.  Once at the top they proceeded into the hallway.  The girl of about nine covered her eyes.  Her clothes were in tatters.
“Where do you live, child?” he asked.  She started to cry and he cuddled her.  “Be brave, little lady.  I promise you’ll be home very soon.”
“I’m cold,” she replied as she wiped some tears away from her muddy cheeks.
Adam then heard the police sirens some distance away.  Five minutes earlier he’d called the police telling them to come to this address.  His plan was to leave the girl with them, but to disappear before they arrived.  He didn’t need them to know who he was. 
At the front door he let go of her hand, crouching down so he was the same height as her, said, “The good guys will be here soon.  Please wait here for them.  Will you do that for me?”
She looked sad.  “I want you to stay with me.”
“I can’t,” was all he answered.  
Coming down the road were many flashing blue lights.
Adam turned to her for the last time, then kissed her gently on the forehead.  She watched him as he made his way out of the back-door and down the garden towards a little gate.  The gate creaked as he pushed it open.  In front was a field which he quickly ran towards.  Ten minutes later and he was surrounded by countryside.  He knew where he was heading as he’d parked his car only two miles from here on a little country lane.  From somewhere a voice was heard which sent terror through him.
“Hello, my dear sister.  I think we need to talk, as you didn’t take my advice did you.”
Adam turned and the mysterious stranger who he remembered seeing once as a boy stood before him.  “What do you want?” he asked fearful, knowing the answer already.  Then he noticed the wings this being once had, were gone.  “What happened to them?”
The angel came closer, before replying, “They took my wings off me because I helped you.  The sister I love very much.”
Adam didn’t understand.  “How can I be your sister?  I don’t recollect anything apart from the life I live now.  Tell me what’s going on?”
“And so I will,” the angel said, a solemn look on its face.  “Thousands of years ago you were born an angel.  Caroline, that was your name before this life.  But you want the reason why I’m here, don’t you?”
Adam nodded, a bad feeling in his stomach.
“You did very bad things that even god couldn’t forgive.  You took the law into your own hands and caused havoc.  This is why you were sent to hell.  And I made a grave mistake in helping you,” it replied, looking down at the ground.
Adam couldn’t believe it.  “This has to be a joke.”
“I’m afraid it’s not.  As much as I hate what I now have to do.  I have no choice, my sweet, beautiful sister,” it said.
Suddenly in a flash four more angels appeared.  Their wings intact.  Thunder erupted from high above.  One came forward and began to chant unknown words.
Adam realised there was nothing he could do.  His mind was spinning.  The muscles in his arms and legs ached terribly.  He tried reaching out to them.  Within a second everything went blank.
………………………………................................................................................................
Caroline opened her eyes.  A feeling of dread ran through her.  She knew where she was, but there was nothing she could do about it.  Her wrists and ankles were tied up with thick rope.  She did her best to escape, with no luck.  Then she heard a familiar voice say, “Nice to see you back, Caroline.  I’ve missed you very much.”
She shuddered at the sight of the creature.  She watched it while it came closer with a sadistic grin on its face.  “You don’t scare me,” she said.  “If anything, I think you’re pathetic.”
The creature laughed, and answered calmly, “That’s not very nice.  For an angel you should have better manners.”
She was getting irritated by this point.  “Just do what you have to do.  And stop messing me about.”
The creature turned its back on her, then made its way to the door.  It banged the wall hard.  It peered at her, and said, “As I knew you were coming back I bought you a lovely present.”
Caroline stayed quiet.  What was the vile beast talking about?
The door flew open and through it appeared the ugliest monster you would ever clap eyes on.  Caroline then noticed something else and sheer terror consumed her.  Standing beside the hideous being was a little girl.  Their eyes met.  Caroline remembered.
The creature came closer.  “That’s right, she was the last one you saved.  And while she waited at the entrance of the house my good friend here snatched her just for you.”
Caroline was beside herself, and yelled, “You can’t do this.  She’s a little girl who belongs with a loving family.”
“I’m going to enjoy torturing you both for eternity,” replied the demon, rubbing its hands together.  It walked to the child and ran a hand through her dark hair, before saying, “We’re going to have some fun times together.  How does that sound?”
The girl started to sob, “Please don’t hurt me.”
It was all her fault.  Because of her a young defenseless child would suffer terribly at the hands of the demon.  She said a prayer to the almighty, hoping he was listening, “If you can help me, god, please, as I beg you.  I know I’ve done wrong and I deserve to be here.  But the little girl doesn’t.  I’m ready to be punished for my sins, but spare the child.  I beg you, spare her.”
She peered back up.  The girl looked petrified while she cried.  All of a sudden in a blink of an eye she’d vanished.
The demon seemed angry.  “Where did she go?” it screamed.  “Where the hell has she gone?”
Then Caroline smiled.  A heavenly light came towards her, and with it a voice which she recognised, said, “I think you have learnt your lesson, Caroline.  We’ll care for you until you get better.”
“Thank you, father,” was all she replied.  “But I don’t deserve to be released from this place.”  She looked away from him.
“What you did for that child took great courage, my darling daughter,” God said.  “Please come with me now, because you don’t belong here.  I can see that now.”
Caroline didn’t know what to do, but she took his hand.  The next thing she saw were the bright lights of home as they shone in the distance.  And in front of her stood her brother with a smile on his face.

                                                                The End                                              

© 2014 steve


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Clap clap bravo Steve,very good I really enjoyed it,it drew me in and made me want more..is this a old story or new.
I will read each one in time..

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

steve

10 Years Ago

Cheers, my love. It's my latest one, I was in the middle of this when my computer crashed. This is.. read more
Steve, this could be one of the best stories you've ever written, Certainly it interested me all the way through. The ending does not quite work. Somehow It lacks closure. Try to find the gap and fill it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

steve

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Marie. I'll give the ending some thought. Bless you!! x

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

251 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 5, 2014
Last Updated on April 4, 2014
Tags: Boy, angels, god, evil people, nasty father, punched, brother, wings, advice

Author

steve
steve

Norwich



About
Hi, I hope you enjoy my short stories. I've been writing for sometime now, and thoroughly enjoy it. To be honest, I find it quite addictive. Even when I'm at work I am thinking about the next story.. more..

Writing
Family Family

A Story by steve


Lockdown Lockdown

A Story by steve


Evil Elves Evil Elves

A Story by steve