The Journey Home

The Journey Home

A Story by steve
"

A woman driving home after a long day finds herself lost.

"



The Journey Home

Jackie had had a very tiring day.‭  ‬All she wanted to do is get back home into a nice comfy bed.  Peering up the road she couldn’t see much as the fog was thick.‭  ‬There were tall trees either-side which didn’t help the fact that she was lost.‭  ‬Only a few minutes before she was quite confident in where she was heading.‭  ‬Now with darkness all around she felt rather‭ ‬disorientated.‭  ‬Turning the radio on to take her mind of things Jackie could hear a man while he ranted about something which got on her nerves quickly.‭  ‬She changed the station and a ballad from the eighties was‭ ‬on.‭  ‬For a couple of minutes she sang to the song as she remembered liking it at the time.‭  ‬In the mirror just above her head she saw two‭ ‬piercing‭ ‬red‭ ‬eyes staring back.‭  ‬Jackie screamed scared out of her mind,‭ ‬and slamming her foot down onto the brake came to a sudden halt.‭  ‬Without thinking she turned to the‭ ‬back seat.‭  ‬No one was there.‭  ‬What the hell was going on‭?  
“For god sake,‭” ‬she said quietly,‭ ‬realising she hadn’t slept for hours‭ ‬and was probably hallucinating.
‬She rubbed her forehead.‭  ‬Her eyes ached.‭  ‬In the boot of the car was a flask which she’d made up earlier of strong coffee.‭  ‬She needed something to give her some much needed energy.‭  ‬She had a feeling of anxiety run through her as she left the comfort of the car in the middle of nowhere.‭  ‬From the left of her somewhere deep in the forest she‭ ‬heard a dog‭ ‬howling.‭  ‬As quickly as she could she headed to the back of the vehicle.‭  ‬Looking inside she couldn’t see the flask and this worried her.‭  ‬Typical,‭ ‬she thought.‭  ‬Using her hands she felt everywhere.‭  ‬Something cold and long brushed her palm.‭  ‬She grabbed the object with both hands and lifting it up into the slight light she realised she had found it.‭  ‬Jackie walked back to the driver’s door and opened it‭ ‬swiftly.‭  ‬Getting in she was relieved.‭  ‬What a horrible place to be stuck in.‭  ‬Jackie undid the lid and poured the little drink that was left into the cup.‭  ‬She took a mouthful and it made her shudder.‭  ‬It was stone cold.‭  ‬Within a few minutes she felt a little better.‭  ‬Then decided to carry on with the journey.‭  ‬The fog was still heavy but if she wanted to get home in the next couple of hours she needed to pull her finger out.‭  ‬The car moved slowly up the road.‭  
“Concentrate,‭” ‬she said to herself.‭  ‬The silence was unbearable.‭  ‬She switched the radio back on but turned down the volume as she needed to stay focused.‭  ‬A corny pop song from the sixties was playing.‭  ‬She didn’t mind because it took her mind off the situation.‭  ‬When the song had finished she thought back to the day she’d had.‭  ‬She’d always been ambitious,‭ ‬but sometimes in her job Jackie would find it tough.‭  ‬Especially when people lost their jobs.‭  ‬But to save companies sometimes this was the only option.‭  ‬And someone had to do it.‭  “‬Sorry,‭” ‬was all she muttered,‭ ‬thinking of the saddened faces.‭  ‬From behind the vehicle a light flashed.‭  ‬What could that be‭?  ‬Peering into the mirror above her head she saw another car some distance away coming up the road.‭  “‬Hello,‭ ‬stranger.‭  ‬What a lovely night to be out driving.‭”
Suddenly the car behind speeded up as it came towards her in a matter of seconds.‭  ‬It smacked her bumper making her scream.‭  ‬Her hands‭ ‬gripping the steering wheel she did her best to stay on the road.‭  ‬Her mind was spinning.‭  ‬She‭ ‬pressed her foot down onto the‭ ‬pedal to gain a little speed.‭  ‬Still the other vehicle followed only a few metres behind.‭  “‬What the hell is wrong with you‭?” ‬she yelled,‭ ‬petrified.‭  ‬Masculine laughter was heard,‭ ‬looking into the front mirror she could‭ ‬make out two people.‭  ‬Then her headlights caught something dashing out onto the road,‭ ‬doing her best to avoid‭ ‬what looked like an animal she slammed her foot‭ ‬down‭ ‬onto the brake,‭ ‬causing the car to go down a little slope,‭ ‬then‭ ‬crashing into two trees.‭  ‬The other vehicle passed her and she caught a glimpse of someone staring back‭ ‬while they wore a grotesque mask.‭  ‬Within seconds they’d vanished from sight.‭  ‬Jackie was surprised she was still alive.‭  ‬Her forehead hurt and putting a hand to it she could feel blood as it made her fingers sticky.‭  “‬Why‭?” ‬was all she muttered.‭  ‬She didn’t know what to do,‭ ‬why did they do this to her‭?
Jackie moved her legs.‭  ‬Thankfully they seemed okay.‭  ‬The only way out of this nightmare was to leave the car and walk further up the road until she found a house.‭  ‬The idea scared her,‭ ‬but now with the car the way it was,‭ ‬she had no other‭ ‬choice.‭  ‬Getting out she noticed her left leg hurt.‭  ‬She took her time.‭  ‬Hopefully not too far away there would be someone to help her.‭  ‬Because she lived in the city where everything that she desired was close to hand,‭ ‬she wasn’t‭ ‬familiar to living in the middle of nowhere.‭  ‬Her heart raced.‭  ‬It was time to leave.‭  “‬Be brave,‭ ‬Jackie.‭  ‬You’re‭ ‬56‭ ‬years old.‭”  ‬Taking two steps from her vehicle she all of a sudden panicked.‭  ‬She glanced back at her beloved car.‭  “‬I’ll be back soon,‭” ‬she said,‭ ‬blowing it a kiss.‭  “‬And trust me,‭ ‬I’ll miss you more than you’ll miss me.‭”
Then she made her way up the darkened road into the unknown.

......................................................................................................................................................

‬Jackie had been walking for about ten minutes when she thought she saw a light shining onto the road.‭  ‬Please,‭ ‬god,‭ ‬she thought.‭  ‬She quickened her pace.‭  ‬The closer she got the more excited she became.‭  ‬She wasn’t that far from it now and already she could‭ ‬see the start of a drive.‭  ‬When she’d finally reached it she peered up and with great relief a house stood thirty metres away.‭  “‬Bless you,‭” ‬she said under her breath.‭  ‬At long last something was going right for her.‭  ‬In one of the top windows a light was on.‭  ‬Looking at her watch she realised it was quite late,‭ ‬but she needed assistance.‭  “‬Forgive me.‭”  ‬Her feet ached as it’d been a long stressful day.‭  ‬Taking her time she proceeded cautiously towards the place a little nervously.‭  ‬A few yards from the front door she all of a sudden heard barking which seemed to get nearer.‭  ‬Then with utter horror she saw a shadow race towards her.‭  ‬She started to scream as she saw a dog bearing its teeth.‭  ‬“Please don’t hurt me,‭” ‬she begged.‭  
It growled.‭  ‬The‭ ‬animal took a step closer.
‬She was petrified beyond belief.‭  ‬The day from hell.‭  ‬Then she thought back to the sorrowed faces.‭  ‬Someone shouted bringing her back to reality.‭  ‬A man came towards her grabbing the dog.
“‬For god sake.‭  ‬You’re lucky‭ ‬it didn’t attack you,‭” ‬he snarled,‭ ‬seeming far from happy.
“‬I’m so sorry,‭” ‬she said,‭ ‬feeling deflated.‭  “‬I crashed into a tree just down the road..‭  ‬I need help if you don't mind.‭”
Clearing his throat,‭ ‬he then replied,‭ “‬That's okay.‭  ‬It's quite late.‭  ‬Sorry for being rude.‭   ‬My pet is always escaping and causing me untold grief.‭”
“I used to have a dog years ago.‭  ‬I know what you mean,‭” ‬she said,‭ ‬now feeling more relaxed.
“‬So,‭ ‬how can I help you,‭ ‬dear lady‭?” ‬he asked,‭ ‬brushing a hand through his white hair.
“‬Have you got a phone so I can ring someone to pick me up‭?”
He seemed confused,‭ ‬before answering,‭ “‬Don't you have a mobile‭?  ‬I thought everyone had one of those these days.‭”
Jackie did have one but it had ran out of charge only an hour before.‭  ‬This was definitely turning out to be the worst day ever.‭  ‬She laughed,‭ ‬and replied a little embarrassed,‭ “‬My mobile isn't working I'm afraid.‭  ‬I need to ring my daughter.‭  ‬Is that all right‭?”
The man who must have been in his mid-sixties seemed amused by this.‭  “‬Technology isn't the way forward I'm afraid.‭  ‬In the olden days people got by without computers and weird robots doing everything.‭”
Jackie could feel the chill as the mist was still heavy.‭  “‬You might have a point there,‭” ‬she said.
“‬Come on.‭  ‬The front door is open.‭  ‬Help yourself as there's a phone in the hallway.‭  ‬I need to take the dog into the back garden and hopefully it'll stay there for the rest of the night.‭”
“Thank you for being so obliging,‭” ‬she said,‭ ‬meaning it.
‬He pulled the animal towards a gate.‭  ‬Within seconds both had vanished.‭  
She could hear barking and the man shouting,‭ ‬but ignoring it as she had other things to deal with made her way towards the entrance.‭  ‬Once inside she saw the phone immediately.‭  ‬She dialled the number.‭  ‬Then waited for her daughter to pick-up.

‭…‬..................................................................................................................................................

‬The man appeared in the doorway.‭  ‬For the first time that night she could see him properly.‭  ‬He seemed a rough old sort with grey stubble which covered his chin,‭ ‬and wearing a blue stripy lumber jacket with tattered jeans‭ ‬he came closer.‭  ‬Jackie noticed his left hand was bleeding,‭ “‬Are you okay‭?”
He peered down at the wound while it still bled,‭ ‬then replied,‭ “‬I caught it on a bit of wood while leaving the garden,‭ ‬but at least the dog won't escape now,‭ ‬as I've locked it in the shed.‭”  ‬Taking a couple of steps he muttered something under his breath.
“‬I'm sorry,‭” ‬she said.‭  “‬What did you say‭?”
He looked up before replying,‭ “‬Did you get hold of your sister‭?”
“It was actually my daughter I was trying to get hold of,‭ ‬and for some bizarre reason she didn't answer,‭” ‬she said,‭ ‬feeling frustrated.
‬The man rubbed his forehead.‭  ‬For a few seconds he stood there saying nothing.‭  ‬Then he glanced at her.‭  “‬It's chilly out there tonight.‭  ‬If everything else fails you can kip upstairs tonight.‭  ‬If that's all right with you.‭”
Jackie felt at ease with him,‭ ‬as he seemed genuine,‭ ‬and answered,‭ “‬That would be brilliant.‭  ‬And thank you again for going out of your way for me.‭”
He was happy by that response.‭  “‬Come on,‭ ‬we've got a lot to do.‭  ‬Would you like another coat by the way‭?”
“I'm okay,‭ ‬but I appreciate you asking.‭  ‬By the way don't forget your hat if you have one,‭” ‬was all she said.
“‬I'll be okay.‭  ‬It's a bit nippy out there.‭  ‬I can handle it.‭”
Jackie laughed and he seemed pleased.
‬They made their way out of the house.‭  ‬He locked the door and the two of them walked to the end of the drive.
“‬In what direction is your vehicle‭?” ‬he asked.
‬She pointed.‭  “‬Just down there.‭  ‬It's a bit of a trek I'm afraid.‭”
He looked at her with a grin on his face,‭ ‬before saying,‭ “‬Maybe I should of got my hat.‭”
She giggled.‭  “‬It's up to you.‭  ‬The fog is quite nasty,‭ ‬and with it rather cold.‭”
“I'm only joking.‭  ‬I'm used to this weather.‭  ‬Come on,‭ ‬let's get to your car and figure out what to do with it.‭  ‬Does that sound like a good idea‭?”
Jackie peered at him,‭ ‬and for the first time in ages she was enjoying another man's company.‭  “‬Smashing.‭  ‬The best idea in the world,‭” ‬was all she answered.
‬He smiled,‭ ‬placing a hand on her back both headed down the road.

‭…‬..................................................................................................................................................

‬While they walked Jackie wanted to ask him something,‭ "‬What's your name‭?"
He laughed quietly to himself,‭ ‬before answering,‭ "‬Graham.‭  ‬Why‭?"
"I was interested that's all,‭" ‬was all she said.‭  "‬My car shouldn't be too far now.‭  ‬If I have my bearings right it should be just over there.‭"  ‬She pointed towards a spot just off the road.‭  "‬I'm pretty sure that's the place.‭"
"Let's have a look shall we.‭  ‬Remember what I said,‭ ‬by the way I don't even know your name.‭  ‬So what is it‭?" ‬he asked,‭ ‬bemusement on his ageing face.
‬She giggled,‭ ‬before replying a little awkwardly,‭ "‬Jackie.‭  ‬A silly name I know.‭  ‬I used to get picked on because of that name at school.‭"
Graham all of a sudden seemed concerned.‭  "‬It's a lovely name.‭  ‬People can be so cruel sometimes.‭"‬  He gave her a smile before saying,‭ ‬"Let's see what we can do with your car.‭  ‬Deal.‭"
She glanced at him.‭  "‬Deal.‭"
Like she'd said the vehicle appeared still in the same spot,‭ ‬smoke rising from the bonnet.‭  ‬It didn't look too good for her little baby.
"‬It's a write off isn't it,‭" ‬she grumbled,‭ ‬feeling far from pleased.
‬He looked at her and was just about to say something when a loud bang from behind him sent him tumbling to the ground.‭  ‬Blood spilling from his mouth he seemed in agonising pain as he tried to speak.
‬Jackie was in pure shock as she didn't understand what was going on.‭  ‬She knelt down so she was inches from him.‭  ‬Then she saw something which sent a horrifying shudder through her.‭  ‬In his chest was a massive hole.‭  ‬He gasped for breath.‭  ‬Using both hands he tried grabbing her.‭  ‬She panicked and moved away from him.‭  ‬And this is when she noticed two headlights just‭ ‬a few metres away shining in her direction.‭  ‬It was the car from earlier.‭  ‬She stayed where she was,‭ ‬too scared to move.‭  ‬From the vehicle two people got out.
‬She stayed quiet.‭  ‬Doing the best she could she tried to hide behind the body.‭  ‬Then she heard a voice shout,‭ "‬Hello,‭ ‬Jackie.‭  ‬You don't know us,‭ ‬but we know you.‭  ‬We've been following you for a long time now.‭  ‬Does that make you feel special.‭  ‬The day you left the house when you decided to leave your husband was a day to remember,‭ ‬as we knew you were the chosen one.‭  ‬A woman in her fifties,‭ ‬hated by everyone,‭ ‬even your daughter.‭"
She'd had enough of this now.‭  "‬You know nothing about me.‭  ‬Nothing,‭" ‬she yelled,‭ ‬while standing up to face them.‭  "‬Who are you,‭ ‬you pathetic losers‭?‬"
One of them laughed,‭ ‬before saying,‭ "‬It's now time.‭"
Suddenly from the trees on the left of her a dozen figures ran out wearing cloaks and masks.
‬She could feel hands grabbing her and pulling her towards the forest.‭  "‬Get off me,‭" ‬she shrieked,‭ ‬absolutely petrified.‭  ‬For an instance she saw the moon from high above and it seemed to smile at her.‭  "‬Please help me,‭" ‬she whispered to it.
‬No answer.
‬Through the trees she could see many lights.‭  ‬What was happening‭?‬  Thick rope was now tied to her wrists and ankles and four of them carried her down a little path.
‬A minute later she found herself in a field.‭  ‬A huge bonfire blazed a short distance away and standing near and far were many people wearing hideous masks while they chanted unknown words.‭  ‬Finally she was placed onto the damp grass.‭  ‬Jackie peered up not knowing what to think.‭  "‬What do you want from me‭?" ‬she screamed.‭  ‬She saw a person as he came closer.‭  ‬His face hidden.‭  "‬Please.‭  ‬I beg you.‭  ‬I don't understand why you're doing this.‭"
Then he said,‭ "‬You have been chosen for our annual sacrifice.‭  ‬The child needs to‭ ‬feed to stay alive.‭  ‬You should be proud,‭ ‬as for a long time we have observed you from afar.‭  ‬You're very important,‭ ‬Jackie.‭  ‬Remember that.‭"
"The child‭?" ‬she asked.‭  ‬What the hell were they talking about‭?
The man looked back at a cage which was covered by a blanket,‭ ‬but from inside‭ ‬was growling.‭  "‬Yes,‭ ‬the child.‭  ‬The last vampire to exist.‭  ‬It needs blood to survive.‭  ‬And every year we give it a sacrifice.‭  ‬Without it the poor creature would die.‭"
She needed answers,‭ ‬as this didn't make any sense.‭  "‬But why,‭ ‬what do you gain from this‭?"
The man took his mask off.‭  ‬His face withered.‭  ‬His eyes dark and soulless.‭  ‬Then he said,‭ "‬Because the creature has promised us immortality.‭  ‬I'm so sorry but it's now time.‭"  ‬From beneath his cloak a small knife appeared.‭  "‬Take her to the cage,‭" ‬he ordered.
"‬You can't do this,‭" ‬she shrieked.‭  ‬Jackie tried to bite the hands of the people that were dragging her,‭ ‬with no luck.‭  ‬One of the men lifted the blanket so now through the bars a young boy no older than nine was seen‭ ‬looking at her intensely.‭  ‬He had a pale face and red eyes.‭  ‬The child licked its lips.
"‬Please,‭ ‬if you have any mercy let me go,‭" ‬she yelled at the top of her voice.
‬The boy smiled at her,‭ ‬and in a soft voice answered,‭ "‬Don't worry.‭  ‬This won't hurt one bit,‭ ‬mummy‭"
One of the men opened the door of the cage and pushed her head in.‭  ‬She did her best to escape.‭  "‬Please,‭ ‬god,‭" ‬she shouted.‭  ‬Then she saw the devil child as he stared at her neck.‭  ‬Inside its mouth were many sharp teeth.‭  ‬A terrible pain was felt as it made her‭ ‬scream louder than she'd ever known.‭  ‬From all around she could hear singing and see many people dancing and laughing.‭  ‬Then she thought back to her daughter who she loved very much.‭  ‬Forgive me,‭ ‬Megan.‭  ‬I didn't mean to be a bad mother.‭  ‬Jackie knew she didn't have much time left.‭  ‬Sheer terror consumed her.‭  ‬Within seconds her body had been completely drained of blood.‭  ‬From some distance away a dog barked impatiently while it waited for its owner to return home.

......................................................................................................................................................

‬Since that night many people driving down that stretch of road have reported strange sightings of a ghostly woman with a pale face and the reddest of eyes while she stares at them from afar,‭ ‬and by her side is a little boy.‭  ‬Then in moments both vanish.

‭                                                              ‬The End

© 2014 steve


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review



This is a very suspenseful and creepy story Steve. You could have explained a little bit more about her daughter.
I'm suggesting a few changes in structure:

All she wanted to do is get back home into a nice comfy bed,‭ ‬peering up the road she couldn’t see much as the fog was thick.‭ (All she wanted to was get back home into a nice comfy bed. Peering up the road she couldn't see much as the fog was thick.)
She started to scream as she now saw a dog bearing its teeth.‭ (She started to scream as she saw a dog baring its teeth.)
The man who must've been in his sixties appeared in the doorway(You already said he was in his sixties; no need to repeat it.)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

steve

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Marie. Yes, I totally agree with your suggestions. Thank you for reading as I appreciat.. read more



Reviews

I liked that Steve,but why did they kill the man and did the dog die it made me feel creepy good story.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

steve

10 Years Ago

Oh, that's amazing. Well done. Don't know what to say, but you deserve it with all my heart. xx
steve

10 Years Ago

I read your poem, very dark and sinister. Liked it very much. I'll leave a review now. xx
Trinity Essex

10 Years Ago

Oh thanks very much Steve on both accounts..xxxx


This is a very suspenseful and creepy story Steve. You could have explained a little bit more about her daughter.
I'm suggesting a few changes in structure:

All she wanted to do is get back home into a nice comfy bed,‭ ‬peering up the road she couldn’t see much as the fog was thick.‭ (All she wanted to was get back home into a nice comfy bed. Peering up the road she couldn't see much as the fog was thick.)
She started to scream as she now saw a dog bearing its teeth.‭ (She started to scream as she saw a dog baring its teeth.)
The man who must've been in his sixties appeared in the doorway(You already said he was in his sixties; no need to repeat it.)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

steve

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Marie. Yes, I totally agree with your suggestions. Thank you for reading as I appreciat.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

263 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 24, 2014
Last Updated on April 25, 2014
Tags: Woman, ambitious, job, man, Graham, Jackie, child, red eyes, forest, car, lost, petrified

Author

steve
steve

Norwich



About
Hi, I hope you enjoy my short stories. I've been writing for sometime now, and thoroughly enjoy it. To be honest, I find it quite addictive. Even when I'm at work I am thinking about the next story.. more..

Writing
Family Family

A Story by steve


Lockdown Lockdown

A Story by steve


Evil Elves Evil Elves

A Story by steve