King George

King George

A Story by steve
"

A man realises his life isn't worth living, and then something unexpected happens.

"


King George

The stadium was full to the brim of people watching the game,‭ ‬and for many this was their only true passion.‭  ‬Every Saturday they’d come in their droves to support the team,‭ ‬always hoping for a win.‭  ‬On this day the rain fell hard causing deep puddles on the pitch.‭  ‬Because there was only fifteen minutes left the game went on through the terrible downpour,‭ ‬which amused some with their constant chanting.‭  ‬With seven minutes to go one of the players from the other squad was badly injured,‭ ‬causing him to scream out in pain while he writhed about on the ground.
“‬Get up,‭ ‬you p***y,‭” ‬grunted a young man who sat a couple of seats away from George.
‬George turned his head,‭ ‬unimpressed with the comment.‭  “‬That’s a terrible thing to say,‭ ‬Colin.‭”
“I don’t care,‭” ‬he replied,‭ ‬folding his arms.‭  “‬He’s a p***y.‭  ‬End of.‭”
George tutted.‭  ‬The younger generation,‭ ‬he thought.‭  “‬He might be badly injured.‭”
Colin laughed,‭ ‬before saying in a sarcastic sort of way,‭ “‬Yeah,‭ ‬right.‭”
George had known Colin since he was a nipper.‭  ‬He used to come to the matches with his dad.‭  ‬This is where he first met them,‭ ‬but sadly the father had died.‭  ‬And ever since this,‭ ‬Colin had grown a temper which worried George at times.‭  
Two minutes into extra time the greatest thing happened and Norwich scored another goal,‭ ‬meaning they had won the game.
‬George stood up applauding them.‭  ‬At this moment in time he felt so happy.‭  ‬The player who’d scored was someone he admired immensely.‭  ‬He remembered in the good old days when this certain player’s dad used to play,‭ ‬and to him he was the greatest footballer he had ever known.‭  “‬Well done,‭” ‬he shouted,‭ ‬clapping his hands.‭  ‬All of a sudden his head didn’t feel right.‭  ‬His vision became blurry.‭  ‬He got back into his seat breathing quite heavily.‭  ‬All around him he‭ ‬heard people singing joyously.‭  ‬His left arm felt strange.‭  ‬Please,‭ ‬god,‭ ‬not now.‭  ‬George closed his eyes trying not to panic.‭  ‬Within a minute he started to feel a little better.‭  ‬He opened his eyes and everything was back to normal.
“‬We did it,‭” ‬shouted someone as they patted him on the back.
‬He peered up and Colin stood above him with a concerned look.‭  “‬Are you okay,‭ ‬George‭?  ‬You look really pale like you’ve seen a ghost.‭”
George didn’t know what to say,‭ ‬and answered the best he could,‭ “‬I’m not sure.‭  ‬I’ll sit here for a minute I think.‭  ‬I’ve just had a strange turn.‭”
With worry in his eyes Colin sat down in the now empty seat which was beside George.‭  “‬I’ll wait with you until you feel better,‭ ‬mate.‭”
George turned his head so he faced him,‭ ‬and with a slight smile on his face,‭ ‬said,‭ “‬Thank you,‭ ‬Colin.‭  ‬That means a lot.‭”
A few seconds later the stadium was near enough empty.‭  ‬A man wearing a tracksuit appeared.‭  ‬George watched him as he made his way down to where they sat.
“‬Come on,‭ ‬guys.‭  ‬It’s time to leave,‭” ‬he said politely enough.‭  
Colin was the first one to speak.‭  “‬My mate here has had a strange turn.‭  ‬I’m keeping him company until he’s ready to leave.‭”
The man who was quite large waddled over slightly out of breath.‭  ‬In his left hand he held a walkie-talkie.‭  “‬Are you all right,‭ ‬mate,‭” ‬he said,‭ ‬staring at George.
‬George peered up at him,‭ ‬before answering wearily,‭ “‬I’m not sure.‭  ‬I’m quite scared if the truth be told.‭”
Straight‭ ‬away the man seemed worried.‭  “‬I’ll call you an ambulance.‭  ‬Just stay here and rest.‭”
George then saw him talk nervously into the thing he had hold of,‭ ‬and a sense of dread came over him.‭  “‬I hope it’s nothing,‭ ‬Colin.‭  ‬I really do.‭”
Some minutes later a siren was heard in the far distance as it headed towards them at great speed.

......................................................................................................................................................

‬At the end of the bed stood a doctor and a nurse,‭ ‬both examining him with their educated eyes.‭  ‬The doctor then said in a quite serious tone,‭ “‬Hello,‭ ‬George.‭  ‬It’s nice to meet you.‭”
He looked up at them petrified,‭ ‬before replying,‭ “‬So what’s wrong with me‭?”
The nurse who was in her thirties made her way out of the ward heading down the corridor.‭  ‬The doctor took his glasses off and taking a couple of steps sat down beside the bed,‭ ‬then said,‭ “‬I have something to tell you,‭ ‬but please don’t worry.‭”
George listened patiently as the doctor explained what was wrong with him.

......................................................................................................................................................

‬He sat on the chair at home.‭  ‬The place was a mess.‭  ‬I’m so sorry for letting you down,‭ ‬he thought,‭ ‬looking at the photo of his wife while she smiled.‭  ‬Loneliness was felt.‭  ‬A tear ran down his cheek.‭  ‬He’d only got home today from spending a week in hospital.‭  ‬The tablets he needed to take sat on the cabinet beside the television.‭  ‬George still didn’t feel right.‭  ‬Since his heart attack he had trouble breathing and sometimes standing up he would get a dizzy spell.‭  ‬He needed to clean the house,‭ ‬as his wife who he missed with all his heart would disapprove.‭  
“I’ll get right on it,‭ ‬my dear,‭” ‬he muttered as he slowly rose from the chair.‭  “‬But the way I am at the moment,‭ ‬I mustn’t hurry.‭”  
In the kitchen was some polish so he could wipe round and make the place cleaner.‭  ‬In the doorway he thought back to what the doctor had said.‭  ‬He shuddered at the thought.‭  ‬No more football matches for a little while.‭  ‬It’s in your best interest,‭ ‬George.
‬You must be kidding.‭  ‬Not being able to watch his beloved team was a life not worth living.‭  ‬Bloody doctors,‭ ‬what do they know.
‬He made his way into the kitchen the thought still in his head.‭  
Since his wife’s death two and a half years ago the only thing that kept him going was the beautiful game.‭  ‬It took his mind off things you see.‭  ‬Sitting by the bed with his wife in agony he would never forget.‭  ‬The pain she went through while he watched with utter dismay still made him sad.‭  ‬Too sad if the truth be told.‭  “‬Please come back to me,‭” ‬he would say every‭ ‬night before closing his eyes to sleep,‭ ‬knowing deep down he would never see her again.
‬George opened the cupboard and took out the polish and a rag.‭  ‬Making his way into the living room he was already breathing heavily,‭ ‬he sat down on the chair.‭  ‬George hated this.‭  ‬He felt so useless.‭  ‬He then realised it was Saturday tomorrow and Norwich would be playing away.‭  ‬Please win.‭  ‬The game sadly wasn’t on the television.‭  
“Bloody Sky,‭ ‬nicking all the good games,‭” ‬he grumbled.‭  
Within seconds he’d fallen into a deep sleep.‭  ‬In the dream he was having he sat with his wife while watching football.‭  ‬Both smiled,‭ ‬and for only a little while he’d forgotten all the bad things of late.

......................................................................................................................................................

‬Switching the radio on George listened to the‭ ‬commentary of the game.‭  ‬Next week they were playing at home,‭ ‬and being a season ticket holder the seat would be waiting for him,‭ ‬calling him over.‭  ‬He knew he couldn’t go until the doctor gave him the all clear.‭  ‬It was so unfair.‭  ‬There was only‭ ‬nine games left.‭  ‬The season was nearly over.‭  ‬He bit his nails as the other team scored a goal.‭  
“Come on,‭ ‬Norwich,‭” ‬he said raising his voice.‭  “‬If Brian was there he would have scored two by now,‭” ‬thinking back to the eighties when the best player he had ever known played for‭ ‬the side.‭  
Seventy three minutes later the game had ended.‭  ‬Norwich had lost.‭  ‬George was heartbroken.‭  ‬He turned the radio off.‭  ‬For the next few hours he sat in his chair,‭ ‬the curtains drawn.‭  “‬I can’t live like this,‭” ‬he muttered to himself.‭  ‬He then came to a decision.‭  ‬He peered over at his wife,‭ ‬she seemed so happy in the picture that he broke out in a smile.‭  “‬I’ll see you soon,‭ ‬dear,‭” ‬was all he said,‭ ‬meaning every word.

......................................................................................................................................................

‬He stopped taking his tablets.‭  ‬A life sitting in a chair was a life he didn’t want.‭  ‬He remembered his dad years ago.‭  ‬An active man who played many sports.‭  ‬By‭ ‬56‭ ‬he was dead.‭  ‬At the time this broke George’s heart.‭  ‬The one thing more‭ ‬important than football was being with his wife again.‭  ‬In a weird sort of way he felt quite proud of the decision he had made,‭ ‬as most people would disagree.‭  ‬But being lonely and not being able to do the things which you loved in life was also something to take into consideration.‭  ‬By Friday he started feeling giddier than normal.‭  ‬He knew he was being foolish,‭ ‬but he had nothing to live for.‭  ‬And tomorrow he was going to watch Norwich for the last time.‭  ‬And George was ready to take the greatest step that any‭ ‬human has ever took.‭  
“Be brave,‭ ‬you old fool,‭” ‬he said while peering out of the window at the street ahead.‭   ‬On the other side of the road a woman pushed a child along in a wheelchair.‭  ‬A tear‭ ‬ran down his cheek.‭  ‬Life could be so cruel at times.

......................................................................................................................................................

‬Walking into the stadium he could hear the noise from the crowds while they talked excitedly about the match.‭  ‬With him was his walking stick because he had trouble keeping his balance.‭  ‬Not too far to go.‭  ‬Looking down he saw his seat and two seats from this was the youngster who he liked very much.‭  ‬Carefully he made his way down not wanting to stumble.‭  ‬Colin glanced his way and George nodded,‭ ‬then‭ ‬he‭ ‬sat down with relief.
“‬Are you okay,‭ ‬George‭?” ‬the young man asked,‭ ‬worry on his face.‭  “‬That’s the first time I’ve seen you with a walking stick.‭”
“I’m fine,‭ ‬lad,‭” ‬he answered.‭  “‬Hopefully we’ll win today.‭”
Colin moved a seat so he was inches from George.‭  “‬How did it go that day when you were rushed to the hospital‭?” ‬he asked.
‬I’m sorry,‭ ‬boy.‭  ‬Everyone dies.‭  ‬Knowing it was going to be the last time of seeing this beautiful boy who he adored very much,‭ ‬and knowing this poor lad lost his dad too young in life,‭ ‬said,‭ “‬You’re a strong person.‭  ‬Promise me one thing,‭ ‬Colin.‭  ‬Never give up,‭ ‬and if you ever meet your‭ ‬soul mate,‭ ‬look after her the best you can.‭”
Colin blinked a couple of times.‭  ‬He was just about to say something when a man appeared demanding his seat.‭  ‬Colin moved and the man sat down muttering something under his breath.
‬Five minutes later and the game had started.‭  ‬Today Norwich were playing Chelsea,‭ ‬so it was going to be a hard game.‭  ‬In the first ten minutes Chelsea scored.‭  ‬On the other side of the stadium a thousand or so people cheered,‭ ‬celebrating the goal.‭  
George tutted.‭  ‬Please,‭ ‬get one back,‭ ‬he thought.‭  ‬He peered round at Colin with not much too say,‭ ‬but the youngster’s face said it all.‭  ‬A Spanish player from the London team all of a sudden fell to the ground screaming out in agony.‭  ‬Colin got up from his seat and began shouting‭ ‬obscenities at the man.‭  ‬The referee ran over and showed the much loved player a yellow card for wasting time.‭  ‬Colin then sat down with a grin on his face.‭  ‬An‭ ‬announcement was heard as someone had parked a truck across three car park spaces causing traffic to stop from a nearby road.‭  
George laughed thinking whoever had done this was a bloody idiot.‭  ‬More importantly it took his mind of the troubles of late.‭  ‬Since sitting down he felt okay.‭  ‬He didn’t feel so giddy which pleased him.‭  ‬The slight pain in his chest had subsided.‭  ‬The man who had the seat next to his grumbled something under his breath before getting up.‭  ‬As he walked away ignoring the game the most amazing thing occurred.‭  ‬Norwich scored and all the supporters stood up clapping their hands.‭  ‬The man who was easily in his fifties looked noticing Norwich’s triumph,‭ ‬then muttering something under his breath vanished from sight.
‬George was absolutely over the moon,‭ ‬and without giving it any thought stood up to join everyone else.‭  ‬Then a terrible pain across his chest made him fall to the steps.‭  ‬He could feel himself falling down the walkway while he clutched his heart.‭  ‬His left arm tingled.‭  ‬It was time to meet his maker.‭  ‬His head smacked the bottom step.‭  ‬His vision was blurry.‭  ‬Many people were standing over him while they stared at him,‭ ‬not knowing what to do.
‬George tried to say something,‭ ‬with no luck.‭  ‬From the many faces one came closer.‭  ‬George couldn’t believe it.‭  ‬It was him.‭  ‬The best footballer to ever play for his beloved team.‭   ‬Raising his arm he tried to touch the man’s face.‭  ‬He had no strength.‭  ‬His whole body felt weak as the life was slowly draining out of him.‭  ‬A light from some distance away came closer and in it stood a woman who meant so much to him.
‬She was so beautiful.‭  ‬He missed her so much.‭  ‬The light faded,‭ ‬and everything went black.

......................................................................................................................................................

‬George opened his eyes.‭  ‬He found himself laying in a bed.‭  ‬The first thing he noticed were the white walls.‭  ‬Stuck to his chest were many thin tubes that measured his heart rate and blood pressure.‭  ‬From outside the room many people walked passed the doorway ignoring him.‭  ‬Then a voice was heard.
“‬How do you feel,‭ ‬George‭?”  ‬It was a man’s voice that he found familiar.‭  ‬To his left sitting by the window was the man who’d scored more goals for Norwich than anyone else.
‬George was in utter shock,‭ ‬and without thinking,‭ ‬said,‭ “‬My god,‭ ‬it’s you.‭”
The man whose name was Brian moved his chair closer to the bed.‭  “‬I’m happy you’re okay.‭  ‬For a second there I didn’t think you’d pull through.‭”
George then remembered.‭  “‬Oh that,‭” ‬he replied,‭ ‬feeling ashamed of what he’d done.‭  “‬Thank you for making the effort to visit me,‭ ‬but why are you here if you don’t mind me asking‭?”
Brian shuffled uncomfortably in his chair,‭ ‬before answering,‭  “‬Because I remember you from years ago.‭  ‬At every home game you would be there with a woman.‭  ‬And every‭ ‬time I saw you it inspired me to play my best.‭  ‬That’s one thing that makes Norwich special to any other team,‭ ‬and that is the fans which support us,‭ ‬week in,‭ ‬week out.‭”
A tear welled up in his eye.‭  “‬That’s so kind.‭  ‬Thank you.‭  ‬But I’m a tired old man with nothing to live for.‭  ‬The only things which kept me going have gone,‭ ‬vanished from my life through some reason or another.‭”  ‬He glanced at his withered hand,‭ ‬realising his best years were far behind him.
“‬It doesn’t have to be like that you know,‭” ‬said Brian,‭ ‬worry on his face.‭  “‬The woman,‭ ‬was she your wife‭?  ‬The lady you used to sit with I mean.‭”
George looked away from him.‭  ‬For a little while he didn’t say a thing.‭  ‬Then he said with sadness,‭ “‬She was.‭  ‬I miss her with all my heart.‭”
Brian rubbed his forehead.‭  ‬For a few seconds there was silence.
‬George peered up at the person he’d admired for so long,‭ ‬but something didn’t seem right.‭  “‬Are you okay‭?”
From his trouser pocket Brian got a tissue out and wiped his eyes.‭  “‬Not really,‭” ‬was all he answered.
‬George was concerned,‭ ‬and asked,‭ “‬Please tell me what the problem is‭?”
Outside the room a child laughed.
“‬Oh my god,‭” ‬was all Brian said.‭  “‬Please just get better,‭ ‬George.‭  ‬I need to go.‭  ‬Sorry for rushing away.‭”
George didn’t understand what was going on,‭ ‬then replied,‭ “‬Whatever the problem is,‭ ‬it’s best shared with people which understand you the most.‭  ‬For years I’ve supported the best team in the world.‭  ‬If there is one man who knows you better than anyone else.‭  ‬I’d like to think it’s me.‭”  ‬He looked straight into his eyes waiting for a‭ ‬response.
‬A half smile came across Brian’s face.‭  “‬Two floors down is my wife.‭  ‬She has cancer.‭  ‬I’m so scared that I’m going to lose her.‭”
George thought back to his wife.‭  ‬Dread was felt from deep inside.‭  ‬The last few moments as she screamed out in agony before dying.‭  ‬Her eyes lifeless.‭  “‬Oh.‭  ‬I’m so sorry to hear that.‭”
Suddenly Brian stood up,‭ ‬before saying,‭ “‬Once a week I manage a local team as running a big club never interested me.‭”  ‬He handed George a card.‭  “‬My phone numbers on here.‭  ‬When you get out of hospital give me a ring.‭  ‬Help me with the team.‭  ‬Think about it,‭ ‬George.‭  ‬I have to go.‭  ‬It was very nice to meet you.‭”
Both shook hands.‭  ‬For the first time in ages George felt wanted again,‭ ‬like he had a purpose in life.‭  “‬I’ll‭ ‬definitely think about it.‭  ‬And I hope your wife gets better quick.‭”
With that the man walked out of the room.‭  ‬Then George realised he had a few decisions to make.

......................................................................................................................................................

‬When he’d left the hospital with strict instructions to take his tablets everyday he rang the number on the card which Brian had gave him.‭  ‬Two weeks from this he found himself sitting in a park just out of the great city of Norwich,‭ ‬and by his side was the greatest player he’d ever known,‭ ‬while watching a team which‭ ‬his hero managed.‭  
Two months later Brian’s wife had recovered,‭ ‬and joining them one day‭ ‬she glanced at George,‭ ‬and said,‭ “‬Thank you for being there for my husband,‭ ‬as for a little while he’d lost all hope.‭  ‬Through meeting you he has become a lot more stronger.‭  ‬To me you are worthy of a king.‭  ‬King George if you don’t mind me saying.‭”
George peered at her with a slight smile on his face,‭ ‬before answering,‭ “‬It was your husband who came to me in my darkest hour.‭  ‬If it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t of known what to do.‭”
She laughed,‭ ‬before answering,‭ “‬The kids love you.‭  ‬The players I mean.‭  ‬They’ve gave you a nick name.‭  ‬Would you like to know what it is‭?”  ‬She placed a hand on his hand.
“‬A nick name.‭  ‬I’m not sure if I want to know,‭” ‬he said embarrassed.‭  “‬So what is it‭?”
She put a hand to her mouth and giggled,‭ “‬I’ve already said it.‭  ‬They call you King George,‭ ‬because of all the great stories you tell about Norwich city through the years.‭”
All of a sudden he felt emotional.‭  “‬That’s lovely,‭” ‬he replied.‭  ‬He peered up while the youngsters made their way onto the pitch.‭  “‬Then,‭ ‬King George it is,‭” ‬he said proudly,‭ ‬realising‭ ‬how happy he was for the first time in ages.‭  ‬From high above the sun shone and there wasn't a single cloud in the sky.‭  ‬Today was turning out to be a very pleasant day indeed.

‭                                                              ‬The End


Dedicated to the many fans that support Norwich City Football team.

© 2014 steve


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think this is one of your best pieces, Steve. I like it much better than your horror stories.

The only critics ism I have to make is that you're still using modifiers that weaken your sentence structure. For example:

George then listened patiently as the doctor explained what was wrong with him. (You don't need the adverb "then"; the sentence is better without it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


steve

9 Years Ago

Thank you yet again, Marie. You are very kind with your words. Yes, I enjoyed writing this immense.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

438 Views
1 Review
Added on May 15, 2014
Last Updated on May 16, 2014
Tags: man, football, death, cancer, Brian, wife, players, team, manager, sun, hospital, doctor, nurse, purpose, decision, heart attack

Author

steve
steve

Norwich



About
Hi, I hope you enjoy my short stories. I've been writing for sometime now, and thoroughly enjoy it. To be honest, I find it quite addictive. Even when I'm at work I am thinking about the next story.. more..

Writing
Family Family

A Story by steve


Lockdown Lockdown

A Story by steve


Evil Elves Evil Elves

A Story by steve