The Demons Amongst us.  Part 2

The Demons Amongst us. Part 2

A Story by steve
"

Richard is scared and has trouble coping.

"
                    The Demons Amongst us

                                                Part 2                         

He'd arrived home.  Bewilderment overtook his brain.  Richard sat down and took a few deep breaths.  The journey back was a lot more relaxed while he sat in the back seat staring at the creatures as they still wore their shades.  The driver tried to make polite conversation with him at one point, but if the truth be told he wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone.  There was one thing he didn't understand and this was the thing that baffled him the most.  Why was he, the most average man with the most average life be chosen as the one.  The one who could bring the monsters, as he liked to call them, recognition on this planet.  None of it made sense.  If anything, it was preposterous.
"I need a drink," he muttered as he made his way to the fridge.  He changed his mind realising a bottle of red wine stood in the cabinet near to the TV.  "Sod it.  Wine it is."
He took the cork out carefully.  Standing it on the coffee table he went into the kitchen to get a glass.  Pouring a whole glassful in he sipped it.  His head began to spin a little which he quite enjoyed.  Richard decided to switch the television on as the silence was becoming unbearable.  On the screen several monsters appeared as they ran about a field trying to retrieve items which were hidden.  Amongst them were humans playing the same game.  
"The b******s are everywhere," he cursed.  Switching the TV off.  He'd had enough.  His eyes felt heavy.  Through all of the excitement he'd temporarily forgotten about his heart attack, and how the doctor had told him to take it easy.  No work for at least three weeks.  Since being home too many weird things had occurred.  This couldn't be doing him any good.  He needed some much needed sleep.  Peering at the clock it was very late.  He walked up the stairs rubbing his eyes.  When he got into the bedroom he took his clothes off and headed towards the bed.  For the first time since the heart attack he didn't have a single nightmare.  The only dream he did have was when he was with his wife on holiday, and this made him smile.  "I love you, Samantha, " he said with all his heart.
Her beautiful face then faded.

................................................................................................................................................................

Waking up the next morning it all seemed like a bad dream.  He laughed to himself realising none of this could've really happened.  It was too insane even for him.  Looking out of the bedroom window his blood ran cold.  "S**t.  It wasn't a dream," he said quietly.  The postman made his way up the drive.  Terry was his name and the moment he saw Richard he waved, then smiled.  Inside of his mouth were small sharp teeth.  His face was unrecognisable as he looked like one of those things.  Since being off work he'd got use to the postman calling round.  Richard didn't know how to react but found himself waving back.  The post fell through the door with a bang.  He watched Terry  while he proceeded back down the drive heading up to the next house.  "I need a drink," he said.  He stuck on some clothes, his brain spinning.  Making his way down the stairs he knew a strong coffee would do the trick.  He was exhausted.  Sipping the drink slowly he pondered on what to do with his day.  Then he decided to go for a walk.  How many of these monsters were out there?  He needed to know.  And later he would ring his wife.  Hopefully she'd have forgiven him by now.  He loved her so much.  At this moment he needed her support more than ever.  "Please, darling Samantha.  I can't live without you," was all he said.  He thought back to the demons and fear ran through him.  The next few days were going to be a struggle.  He wasn't looking forward to it one bit.

........................................................................................................................
He observed countless creatures in the centre of London.  Some wore suits, others were dressed in fleeces while they spoke on mobile phones.  He went into several shops and surprisingly enough some of the staff had the same grotesque faces.  This was becoming unbearable.  
When he got home late afternoon time he needed to eat as his stomach was making awful noises.  Eating healthfully was the last thing on his mind and decided to ring a takeaway and order the biggest pizza they had.  A knock at the door about 30 minutes later he got up from the sofa.  Even though he hadn't done much that day he didn't feel too sharp.  While yawning he opened the door.  With utter surprise a face he found quite appealing stood a metre from him.  It was a kid with big red spots which covered the lower part of his chin.  He paid the money wishing the teenager a pleasant evening, then made his way back into the living room to stuff his face.  The food was delicious.  On the coffee table a short distance away was a booklet that the hospital had given him about Angina attacks.  Using his foot he pushed it off as it landed onto the carpet.  Richard burped loudly.  It felt good.  The clock on the wall just above the 36 inch TV read 6.43pm.  It was time to ring his wife and beg for forgiveness.  He knew she'd gone to her mum's house in the country, only a few miles from here.  He made his way to the phone.  Picking it up a feeling of dread ran through him.  Please forgive me, he thought.  He dialled the number then waited patiently.

................................................................................................................................................................

Richard left the house in a really bad mood.  His mother-in-law had answered not sounding too happy, saying that Samantha had made the right choice in leaving him.  The problem was he hated her.  Ever since they'd been married she'd always caused problems like she was jealous of them.  It made him so angry.  
"B***h," he shouted.  He didn't care where he was heading.  He just needed to get away from here and chill out.  

................................................................................................................................................................

Even though the doctor had warned him about drinking too much alcohol, tonight he didn't care.  Richard headed into a bar not surprised to see the rancid things all around him while they sat with his kind chatting and laughing.  He knocked back a shot.  His vision became blurry all of a sudden.  
"Are you okay?" asked the barman who must've been in his late sixties.
Richard was happy to see a human face, and replied, "I will be after a couple more of them."
The man who had grey hair and an ageing face through too much drinking, then said concerned, "You don't look too good, chap.  Maybe you should head home?"
This made Richard angry as he knew these vile creatures only sat a short distance away, and the barman looked at him as if he had the problem.  "Are you joking or something," he yelled.
The older man looked startled as he replied seriously, "I think you better leave these premises.  If not, I'll ring the police."
"Jesus," Richard muttered.  It was time to go.  He didn't need the police on his back.  It was time to behave.  "Okay," he agreed reluctantly.  Cautiously he headed towards the entrance.  He'd only had one drink but from experience it felt like a hell of a lot more.  He staggered through the crowd feeling like an idiot.  When he was at the door he opened it relieved he had made it in one piece.  All of a sudden someone came through knocking him to the ground outside.  Through sheer rage he got up and pinned the b*****d against the wall.  It was one of them.
The demon snarled at him, then said, "I could kill you in a second.  Do you want it?"
He froze petrified.  These monsters were so ugly and its breath stunk of sewage.  With as much courage as he could muster, he answered, "I know who you are.  And I'm not scared of you any more."
The creature with its immense strength pushed Richard to the hard concrete.  He cried out in pain.  A hand grabbed his throat and picked him up so he was a few inches from the ground.
Piercing snake eyes stared at him.  Its tongue licking its pointy teeth with glee.  "Tomorrow you're going to wake up in a hospital, or even better than that, dead."
Richard knew he'd screwed up.  He tried to beg but the tightness around his throat was so intense he was unable to speak.  He thought back to his wife and kids.  Everything was beginning to fade when surprisingly he was released falling clumsily to the path.  Shouting was heard and an unseen figure picked him up and told him to go home.  Running the best he could he proceeded in the direction of where he'd come from earlier.  At the bottom of the road he saw a river.  Dizzy as hell and not thinking the most positive thoughts he pondered on what to do next.  Since seeing things he shouldn't of seen his life had become terrible.  Since his heart attack life didn't seem so great any more.  Richard took a couple of steps towards the edge.  Looking at the water a part of him wanted to be in there and end this nightmare.  He made his way onto the bridge peering down at the best point to jump.  Several thoughts ran through his brain.  His family hated him.  He had nothing to live for.  Life was s**t.  He stepped onto the wall fearing the dread of death, but what else did he have in his life.  Nothing would ever improve.  Being dead was probably the best option.  "I'm sorry, Samantha.  I've failed you in so many ways.  I'll never see my beautiful children grow up, at this moment in time I feel so sad I feel like there isn't a way back.  The human brain can only handle so much.  Maybe in a few days things would be better again.  The misery I face is too disheartening at the moment, that my selfish side just wants to end it.  I'm so sorry to anyone that ever cared for me."
Richard closed his eyes.  Please don't hurt too much.  Death scared everyone.  But sometimes if life was that miserable maybe it wasn't worth pursuing it.  He'd come to a decision and nothing at this present time was going to change it.  "Please, God.  I saw something I shouldn't have seen.  And this has destroyed me.  It's lost me my family.  My heart is broken.  It's time to leave."  His heart raced.  He could feel his feet on the top of the wall.  Then he jumped.  A second later a hand around his ankle pulled him back up.  "Leave me alone," he shouted, in utter torment.  Richard lay there absolutely exhausted.  After a few minutes someone stood over him staring.  The first thing he said was, "Won't you monsters leave me alone."
The creature seemed sad, before saying with a slight feminine tone, "Why do something so stupid?"
Richard ached everywhere.  Using his arms he got up from the path feeling a little embarrassed about the whole thing.  The temporary insanity had thankfully gone.  "Yes, you're right.  What I did was stupid.  But you can't blame me though, can you?"
He was in a standing position and rubbing his forehead he was just about to say something else when an awful pain covered his chest.  Crying out he landed onto the road hitting his left shoulder hard.  Not again, he kept thinking.  His breathing was erratic.  He was petrified that he was going to die.  He noticed the monster above rubbing its hands together quickly.  In-between its palms a strange yellow glow appeared.  Then in seconds everything went dark.

................................................................................................................................................................

Richard awoke remembering in flashes what had happened.  "Please, God.  I've had enough.  First my family and now this."  Opening his eyes he realised he was in his bed.  How the hell did I end up here?  Sitting on a chair a metre from him was the creature that had saved him.  "Thank you," was all he could think of saying.  Looking closer he was mesmerised by it.  It was hard to explain, but there was something he couldn't quite put a finger on.  "Are you a female monster?" was the best thing he could come up with.  What an idiot thing to say, he thought.  "I'm sorry."
She giggled, then answered, "Yes I am.  Are you surprised?"
Gazing into her eyes he needed to ask her a question, "Why did you save me?  What I did tonight was foolish.  I feel so ashamed."  He looked away from her still not knowing what to make of them.  "I'm so confused."
She stayed where she was, but contentment covered her face.  "You're a good man, Richard.  It's just a shame you saw us as I suspect you didn't need it at the time, with your heart attack I mean."  A single tear ran down her cheek.
"How did you know where I lived?"  he asked, growing somewhat suspicious again.  The mind games were doing his head in.  "Sorry, I just need an answer that's all."
The demon understood, then replied, "I was told to follow you.  To keep you safe.  But I won't lie to you, Richard.  There is a lot of my kind who are angry with the way things are.  At the moment they don't know about you.  Please, accept us.  That's all I ask.  Watch us, hang around with our kind.  In time you'll realise we are the same as you."
He knew what she was saying, but it was so much to take in at his age.  "All my life I've been told about monsters with demonic faces being evil.  Causing misery and death to everyone.  Religious is based on this.  Why am I the only person who can see you?  It doesn't make sense," he asked.
The creature got up and put a hand on his chest.  "Your heart is all better.  I healed you, some of us have that ability.  If we were so evil why are you still here, answer me that?"
He couldn't think of anything to say.  But all he said was, "Thank you for saving me."
"That's all my pleasure, Richard."  She walked towards the door, before making her way through it she peered back, and said, "For the next few days study us, follow us, even make friends with our kind.  But don't tell them what you know, not at the moment anyway.  We are a vulnerable race.  We don't like too many surprises.  It was nice to meet you.  I must go now but you'll be forever in my thoughts."
Richard watched her as she left the room.  The front door closed.  He was absolutely knackered.  Within seconds he was asleep.

................................................................................................................................................................

Richard woke up the next day with a new frame of mind.  He wasn't sure if it was the conversation with the female demon which had given him some comfort, or the fact that he felt a lot healthier.  Even the slight ache in his chest had disappeared.  After eating breakfast which consisted of cornflakes with some fruit and fibre sprinkled on top he headed straight for the hospital.  His plan was to go in there and complain of feeling terrible.  With his recent history he was sure the doctors would check him out straight away.  He dashed towards the entrance of the house and was surprised how fit, after all these years, he was.  He whistled a tune as he left the house.

................................................................................................................................................................

Three and a half hours later he left the hospital utterly shocked.  His heart was good as new.  Even the doctor inspecting him was baffled beyond belief.  While he made his way out of the congested car park he saw the creatures everywhere.  Some held hands with their loved ones, while others walked down the street listening to their CD players without a care in the world.  Richard for the first time in ages laughed.  "I'm such an idiot," he said.  "Hallelujah, to the biggest fool in the world," he shouted raising his arms into the air.
A creature close by gave him an odd stare before saying, "Drinking too early isn't going to do you any favours."
Richard had an idea, then replied while smirking, "Maybe it's them blue pills I took earlier.  The moment I take them people look different."  
The creature with now a suspicious face, stopped, its nostrils opening and closing quickly.  After a few moments, it said with slight concern, "You're weird."  With that it proceeded down the road carrying a bag of shopping while grunting something under its breath.
For the next few hours Richard walked everywhere observing them.  Late afternoon he found himself in a quaint pub ordering a beer.  At the bar sat one of the beasts.  He decided to join it.  Both chatted about politics and other various issues.  Richard was very surprised by how knowledgeable this thing was.  Its name was Barry.
He got up from the stool shaking Barry's clawed hand, before saying a little tipsy as he'd had three pints, "It was very nice to meet you."
"Hope to see you again very soon," it replied, then taking a swig of drink before gazing ahead into nothing.
Richard decided to head home to catch a nap.  The sun shone.  The temperature was agreeable.  From somewhere deep inside a slight light glimmered amongst the shadows.  Life was worth living after all.  And he couldn't have been happier.

................................................................................................................................................................

A car was observed coming up the drive.  It was his family returning home.  That day the rain fell hard.  He couldn't wait to see them.  Even though the curtains were drawn he saw three figures getting out of the vehicle which was parked beside the pretty flowerbed.  While they made their way to the door he heard her faint voice, "Come on, children.  Daddy's really looking forward to seeing you."
Excited laughter erupted in front of the house.  A key turning in the lock, the door opened.  Standing three metres from him was Samantha and his beloved children.  He began to cry and getting up from the sofa put his arms around them.  "Thank you for forgiving me.  I swear with all my heart it'll never happen again," he muttered.  "What I did was awful."  Just behind him on the coffee table stood a little box which had been opened.  Only ten minutes before he'd taken the second pill so things would get back to normal.  He knew the truth.  It was now time to get on with his life.  And with his beautiful family all around him it was the perfect moment to do just that.

................................................................................................................................................................

His body hurt terribly.  The cancer had finally beaten him.  He knew he didn't have much time left.  A faint noise was heard.  He half opened his eyes.  At the door standing in shadows stood someone.  As they came towards him he noticed something different.  "It's you," he whispered.
Samantha sat down on a chair a few inches from the bed.  "There must be something the doctors can do.  I won't take it, Richard.  You're the love of my life.  We've been married for as long as I can remember.  Please don't leave me." she begged, putting both hands together like she was praying.
He could barely speak, but doing the best he could, he answered, "You're my shining light, Samantha.  A reason to carry on, but I haven't got much time left."  He coughed up some blood.
Samantha got a tissue out of her coat pocket and wiped the blood from his chin.  Then a nervous look came over her face.  "I've got a confession, Richard.  I need to come clean."  
He laughed, before replying with trouble, "So, who is it?"
"What do you mean?" she asked, putting her hands on his chest softly.
"Well, when you said you needed to confess something that only means one thing."  More blood ran from his mouth.  It was unbearable.
She bent down kissing him on the forehead, before saying nervously, "I can't lie to you any longer, my dear Richard who I've loved for as long as I can remember.  And who I cherish with all my heart."
He peered up at her with a smile on his face.  "Then tell?"
She scratched the top of her head, and brushing a hand through his hair, said while trembling, "It was me on the bridge that night.  It was me who put you in your bed.  I feel so ashamed for not telling you this earlier."
Richard glanced up at Samantha.  Peering into her snake eyes he thought back to that night where he'd been an idiot, and only said one thing, "I've always known.  To me you've always been beautiful."  With as much strength as he could muster he raised his head and kissed his wife tenderly on the lips.  A second later he'd lost all consciousness.
Within a few months others began to see them.  A new age was dawning.

                                                              The End

© 2014 steve


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a very good story Steve. I'm not surprised that the demon who tried to save Richard was his wife, since she cared about him so. That's why he knew it all along.

I have a few suggestions.

Youre still using those modifying adverbs which weaken your verbs.


In the centre of London countless creatures were observed."(He observed countless creatures in the centre of London"would be better.

He wasn't sure if it was the conversation with the female demon which had given him some comfort, or the fact that he felt a lot more healthier.The correct grammer is "he felt a lot healthier.")

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

steve

9 Years Ago

Bless you, Marie. You're the best. xx



Reviews

This is a very good story Steve. I'm not surprised that the demon who tried to save Richard was his wife, since she cared about him so. That's why he knew it all along.

I have a few suggestions.

Youre still using those modifying adverbs which weaken your verbs.


In the centre of London countless creatures were observed."(He observed countless creatures in the centre of London"would be better.

He wasn't sure if it was the conversation with the female demon which had given him some comfort, or the fact that he felt a lot more healthier.The correct grammer is "he felt a lot healthier.")

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

steve

9 Years Ago

Bless you, Marie. You're the best. xx

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

331 Views
1 Review
Added on September 3, 2014
Last Updated on September 4, 2014
Tags: demons, Samantha, Richard, married, monsters, beasts, London, blue pill, scared, bridge

Author

steve
steve

Norwich



About
Hi, I hope you enjoy my short stories. I've been writing for sometime now, and thoroughly enjoy it. To be honest, I find it quite addictive. Even when I'm at work I am thinking about the next story.. more..

Writing
Family Family

A Story by steve


Lockdown Lockdown

A Story by steve


Evil Elves Evil Elves

A Story by steve